The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Main/Rod Bearings and I Beam Rods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1cleangsx

Proven Member
Sep 28, 2013
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Hello tuners. I’m finally dropping off my block/head off at the machine shop next month, the only part I haven’t purchased yet are bearings. I know some are fond of H beams, some I beams, some Aluminum. I went with Manley “turbo tuff” I beams and 625+ bolts for a proven “street” set up. If I were building a drag car I would have bought Aluminum Rods and called it a day. With these bad boys in the block I’m certainly NOT worried about my rods LOL, I’m worried about my bearings, or more specifically the life expectancy of my rod bearings. So aside from the, “you should of bought these instead” opinions. What type of bearing and bearing clearances are you guys running with these? Thank you in advance:D

calico coated ACLs

Thank you! Never heard of those, the bearings were the one part I was going to leave at the discretion of the builder, as far as clearance and material type, based on these heavy rods and high boost/rpm I plan to run:thumb:

Thank you! Never heard of those, the bearings were the one part I was going to leave at the discretion of the builder, as far as clearance and material type, based on these heavy rods and high boost/rpm I plan to run:thumb:
I think I had .0024-.0025 rod bearing clearance when I had the Manley TT.
Maybe Clearance vs Oil temp and viscosity should also be considered.
K1 Technologies has a write-up in the link below. This is just one of factors but maybe it would give you some idea and help you to decide.
https://blog.k1technologies.com/bearing-clearance-and-oil-viscosity-explained

I have had some bearings and oil pump gears/shafts coated by Calico. Their CT-1 coating is the one for bearings and it would cost $27 or so for a 4 cylinder rod bearing set (8 Bearings), $43 for a main bearing set + shipping. Normally it would take a week or two. I believe this would be a good insurance.
https://www.calicocoatings.com/coating-data-sheets/ct-1-dry-film-lubricant/

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
calico does all kinds of coatings, they coated the piston on the last honda build i did.

they also do nitriding and micropolishing

from their website:
We are available to take your coated bearings orders Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST). Please call us at 704.483.2202 or contact us via our contact form.​
=====================

for the ALC race bearing,
take note of this out of their catalog

https://www.aclraceseries.com/images/catalog.pdf

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back