The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Loose Rocker arm on the Intake cam

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EclipseTurbo

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2004
Northwest, New_Jersey
I have all of the rockers loose on my Intake cam and I believe the timing belt skipped and bent some valves when the harmonic balancer grinded into the valve cover. I was trying to assemble for compression test the but I cant install the rockers on top of the lifters. I am not sure if they are the right ones are they different from 6 bolt to a 7 bolt ?

If a rocker arm is loose and won't come in contact with the cam lobes the valve is either stuck or bent. From what your saying it definately sounds bent. The harmonic balancer is on the bottom of the engine and the valve cover is on top so can you clarify what you were trying to say?

I am trying to fix this 2g gsx with a 6 bolt, First I have noticed that the harmonic balancer rubbed into the valve cover so badly that it came into contact with the timing belt, i also noticed a damaged timing belt where it had been rubbing off on something and loose roker arms only on the intake cam.
this lets me to believe that the valves had been bend on that cam. I was going to confirm that by doing a compression test, but the rocker arms are not connecting to the lifters, they do not fit on top. This is the first time I am working on a head and not sure but they will just not go on the lifter.
What am I missing ?

Last edited:
the followers are the same for 1g/2g 6 bolt/7bolt...

from what I read it sounds like you can not get the followers to sit on the HLA tip... try backing off the cam caps, you also may not be compressing the spring/valve down enough to slip the follower into place, be carefull doing this or you can/will bend the valves if you do not have the piston down in the bore far enough

What are the steps to getting them on ?
Do I need to compress the lifter down with the camshaft installed and just slide it on ? And if yes is it supposed to be loose or click in ?
I have mine camshaft out and if I will just slide them on they are loose, hammering with a screwdriver dosent help, and I know they will just fall out.
Thank you for help.

if the rocker arm is out then just pull the hydraulic lash adjuster out(should be able to pull it out with your fingers) then insert a paperclip to push down the release valve inside thee lifter to bleed it down (there are videos on youtube on how to do this) once the HLA is bled the rocker arm will go on easily. you can leave the cams in, that one lifter will tick like a mofo untill it is pumped up if the car even runs.

Thank you I will try that, I was narrowing this down to bent valves which are not going up and giving extra slack for these to fall out with the cams installed.
Because I can install a rocker on a lifter except it wont even stay there with the cams and all installed.

if the cam caps are tight, and even with the hla bleed down.. if the followrs still fall off. the valves are bent...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back