The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rocker Arm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukiz

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 17, 2009
Bay area, California
Hi guys, i gotta question which seems i cant find the answer...

I picked up a dirt cheap TSi AWD, and currently doing stock rebuild head and block.

here's the problem

the rocker arms are not rolling at all, 1 out of 16 seems fine. i think i left them out for couple weeks.
I look at them closely, and there are small amount of rust in the bearing.
Currently the rocker arms are soak in conventional motor oil.

so, what can i do to fix this? should i replace all the rocker arm?
have anyone encounter this problem? what did you do to them?

Thanks in advance, i really need your input.

I think you're on the right track

If you left them out for only a couple weeks (I'll assume they weren't completely dry and left in the rain at least), it's probably just surface rust.

Take them out of the oil after a day and spin them a bit. Then blow them out good with the air compressor nozzle and take a peek for any leftover rust

Someone else should comment too but that's my experience with light surface rust :)

I think you're on the right track

If you left them for only a couple weeks (I assume they weren't completely dry and left in the rain at least), it's probably just surface rust.

Take them out of the oil after a day and spin them a bit. Then blow them out good with the air compressor nozzle and take a peek for any leftover rust

Someone else should comment too but that's my experience with light surface rust :)

I'll second that method. Even if that doesn't work, with a light coat of surface rust, 2 mins in the running engine with oil will clean those rockers right up. BUT... incase it isn't rust and there is some significant contamination in the bearings, I wouldn't go that route. Just saying it as a possibility :p

^ Sick rims man.

Yeah I mean if it's the surface rust I'm thinking of, I don't think it has actually pitted anything yet. Especially if there was oil on them originally. BUT if there is any resistance any repeated oil treatments I would replace them

Thanks, I can't wait to repaint them with a colored lip :D it looks like they were curb checked a couple times by the previous owner. They have a really cool illusion to make the car look like it was dropped. Which is nice because I can't go much lower around here on these dirt roads

If you have a parts washer, or get a gallon of diesle fuel/kerosean/mineral spirts

place the rockers in the solvent.. spin the weel in the fluid with your fingers untill the spin smootly, then blow out with compressed air, then place back in the oil.

If you can not spin a wheel, or one stays feeling "gritty" when you spin it, replace it.

Update....

finally get all the roller/rocker arm working again.....

1. Soak in Oil for a day or two
2. Buy PB Blaster, or WD-40
3. Spray with solutions above, wait 2 to 3 minutes
4. You should be able to move/ wiggle the roller around,
5. Keep wiggling back and forth, until the roller rolls all the way just like normal rocker arm.
6. (dirty method) If the roller does not move at all, place the roller in between a vise, secure it tightly, and wiggle the arm. (dont worry about the roller surface, they are very strong, even a pen puncher can't leave a mark)
7. Use your palm, roll the roller with your palm.
8. Put back rocker arm in clean motor oil.

Sorry, for grammar, I'm an import student, still learning Ennggruisss...
I made a video too, how to do this...btw, i'll upload later....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back