The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

rocker arm came off? damage?(pic)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosted86

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2005
Weston, Florida
oi, well after weeks of reading through threads trying to figure out a problem i was having ( misfire at wot) i came across a thread where this guys rocker arm came off and was getting similar symptoms to that of mine. so after trying everything else ( changing: wires, plugs, coils, pt, plugs etc.) i figured i would pull my valve cover and take a look.... sure enough one of my intake valve rocker arms and lash adjuster ( cylinder 1) were sitting at the bottom of the head. the lash adjuster was completely disassembled ( in pieces ).

whats funny is that the car ran fine at idle, and cruise conditions... but wouold break up at wot...

so now im left with a few questions:

1. is this the reason for my misfire issue? ( or would this cause a misfire )
2. what kind of damge may have happened ( valve, seal, guides, damage)
3. and can the lash adjuster be reassembled, and reinstalled?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Dont know if it was my issue you found or not...but i also had that happen
Although my lifter didnt come apart like that.
I just checked everything over real good and saw no damage, so i just reinstalled the rocker. While i had it all apart i installed updated lifters.
Once it was all back together everything was fine...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

the rocker arm seems to be fine ( spins freely and no nicks) alos, the cam lobe has is still smooth ...

Dont know if it was my issue you found or not...but i also had that happen
Although my lifter didnt come apart like that.
I just checked everything over real good and saw no damage, so i just reinstalled the rocker. While i had it all apart i installed updated lifters.
Once it was all back together everything was fine...

were you having the missfire issue aswell?

It would barely run..LOL..missfired..smoked..it was awfull...mine was on exhaust side...

that would be me that you probably read that from.

at right around 5 grand it feals like the car just boggs down to nothing but runs fine below that.

As long as your compression is fine (no bent valves) and there are no pieces of the HLA that is floating around in the head(maybe consider dropping the oil pan, I dont know how many parts are in the HLA) you should be ok.

Mine popped of when the t belt jumped a tooth, I put the rocker back on and the car hauled like never before,

that would be me that you probably read that from.

at right around 5 grand it feals like the car just boggs down to nothing but runs fine below that.

As long as your compression is fine (no bent valves) and there are no pieces of the HLA that is floating around in the head(maybe consider dropping the oil pan, I dont know how many parts are in the HLA) you should be ok.

Mine popped of when the t belt jumped a tooth, I put the rocker back on and the car hauled like never before,

yes it was your thread that i read.. im going to buy a new lifter tomorrow and put everything back together... lets see what happens... ill keep you guys updated

Good luck
Silentscreamer was your intake side also?

Can't reuse the HLA. Make sure the cam gears are set correctly. Should not have damage the seats or guide. Make sure the valve did not contact the piston and bend the valve (compression test that cyclinder).

the reason the car ran decent at idle cruse is beacuse you still had one intake valve opening like it should, but you were only getting a partial charge in that cylinder. at the upper RPM I would say you were running lean, so a compression or better yet, a leak down test would be perferred, to assure that that cylinder is still in good shape.

In my experience, rocker arms falling off or falling has more to do with valve spring preassure, or geometry issues then a tune problem. excess spring bounce at higher rpms due to low valve spring preassure typically is the issue. could also have been a lifter issue, if the lifter wasnt pumping up(obviously it would tick) it would cause the rocker arm to come off.

yes mine was intake side also, it was intake valve number2, it shot the rocker off and was beating on the spring which was my "lifter tick" i heard.

other than that i was lucky and no other damaged happened, the plug was also showing leaner than the rest during that period it was off (i didn't have my wideband at the time)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back