1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Lifter Tick [merged] Revised lifters 3rd Gen Generation 3g

Posted by 95talontsi, Jul 15, 2002

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2003
    Hawarden, Iowa
    Get some revised lifters off Ebay. Fairly cheap and I heard they totally rid you of lifter tick, not first hand experience though.

2. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2003
    Hawarden, Iowa
  3. TimmyD

TimmyD Proven Member

Joined Feb 2, 2003
    , New Jersey
    I put mine in about a month ago and the lifter tick is gone. I actually found when i pulled the old ones out, whoever rebuilt the motor before me mixed and matched the different lifter generations.

4. CyberEye

CyberEye Proven Member

Joined Jun 25, 2002
  5. JoeWagon

JoeWagon Proven Member

Joined Oct 12, 2003
    Colorado Spring, Colorado
    Nobody buy those...

I want them. Yes, new lifters will solve your problem. Revised lifters will solve the problem longer.

6. 4x4 tsi

4x4 tsi Proven Member

Joined Mar 29, 2004
    Warren, Michigan
    What exactly are revised lifters??

Thanks for the input everyone BTW.

7. marcmsj

marcmsj Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2004
    Laurel, Maryland
    "updated" lifters, you can get them at the dealership.

544  0

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    · 1G DSM
  8. Mack

Mack Proven Member

Joined May 7, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Or Slowboy Racing, Eagle Automotive Warehouse, Mach 1, Diamondstarmotorsport....hmmm, many more I assume. Check here to compare pricing http://www.dsmtuners.com/partners/

9. 4x4 tsi

4x4 tsi Proven Member

Joined Mar 29, 2004
    Warren, Michigan
    Updated lifters would be like refurbished??

Thanks for that link, I just dont want to spend tons of money on lifters right now...my main concern is getting rid of the ticking. What oil would you guys suggest to put it my car after I change the lifters weight wise?? I heard 10w-40...I do live in michigan so in the winter I need to run something different correct?

Thanks again.

10. HighPsi92GST

HighPsi92GST Proven Member

Joined Mar 12, 2003
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    updated/revised lifters are just like your stock ones, but the oil passage is bigger. i got my set from dsmotorsport and more then happy.

677  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  11. HighPsi92GST

Joined Mar 12, 2003
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    theres over 5 days left, garunteed they will go up to atleast 50 bucks...or atleast I hope, I sold a used set on ebay once for 60 something

677  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  12. marcmsj

marcmsj Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2004
    Laurel, Maryland
    no... not refurbished. basically "revised" would mean that our lifters were supersceded by a new part, meaning mitsu found out that our lifters were crap and went back to the drawing board to make it better. therefore any lifter you buy anywhere right now should be the "newly revised" ones.. either from dealer or an aftermarket location.

544  0

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    · 1G DSM
  13. madaba

madaba Proven Member

Joined May 5, 2003
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    i just ordered a new set from slowboy, they are made by topline but they got rid of my nasty ticking

14. TracOwner

TracOwner Proven Member

Joined Mar 27, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    can't u just clean the stock ones and get rid of the problem?

15. madaba

madaba Proven Member

Joined May 5, 2003
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    i did clean mine about a year or so ago, but they got clogged again so i just ordered a new set

16. 4x4 tsi

4x4 tsi Proven Member

Joined Mar 29, 2004
    Warren, Michigan
    Cool, thanks for all the info everyone. I will probably just order a new set soon.

Thanks.

17. 2gForMe

2gForMe Proven Member

Joined Mar 1, 2004
    Green Cove Springs, Florida
    All i want you to reply with is:
    1. Did YOU have Lifter tick? not your friend or your cousin or whoever. YOU!
    2. What method did you use? (cleaning, replacing with revised, etc)
    3. Did it cure it?
    4. Where did you buy your lifters if you bought revised ones and how much did you pay for it.

I am wondering this because i have the usual lifter tick, i took them out and cleaned the #### out of them, primed them and everything, and they tick just as bad maybe worse. So i want to replace them with the revised, but i wanna know how many people actually did this for THEMSELVES and if it actually did fix it.

Thanks.

18. gs-t spidey

gs-t spidey Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2003
    Coon Rapids, Minnesota
    I fixed my lifter tick for a little while with Lucas Synthetic Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. Its a additive. I put it in with my new oil and my lifters didn't tick for about a month, then it came back. So if you really want to get rid of it for good don't use that stuff. :sneaky:

185  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    automatic · 2G DSM
  19. ndilo21

ndilo21 Proven Member

Joined Aug 30, 2004
    void, New York
    I used Seafoam and the tick went away for a week or two but that's about it.

20. paranoidTSi

paranoidTSi Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2002
    none, Utah
    1. Yes
    2. Well first I had a shop replace them, BIG mistake ($320 for the freakin lifters straight from mitsubishi, revised) the lifter tick was gone for a good two years. This year I needed to use Smoke Stop to stop the exhaust from smoking, another BIG mistake..it brought back lifter TICK horridly.

I tried a quick fix, which involved buying two oil filters, motor flush and some 10W-30 Syntec Motor Oil. Pulled the first oil filter, put a cheap ghetto valve craft oil filter on, ran the motor flush. Pulled that filter, drained the oil, put a new filter on, threw in some motor oil..hoping for the best...no lifter tick still there like a mofo.

So I went ahead and decided to do the VFAQ Lifter cleaning solution, 6 hrs of labor I was done and the lifter tick was gone briefly for maybe one day..then it came back strong as ever. I suspect one (or more) of the lifters is collapsed and I didn't realize it. The car is loud enough to where I don't want to drive it, but it definitely sounds like a serious case of lifter tick.

3. replacing fixed them, cleaning did not.
    4. The first set was from mitsubishi, it could have been 2nd generation lifters and not third, I plan on buying another set from eBay sometime in the next few weeks..until then I'm not driving the damn thing.

21. HighPsi92GST

Joined Mar 12, 2003
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    1. Yes on the last 4 2.0 liter cars I had
    2. 2 of the cars, ignored it since I didnt have them that long. The other two I put new revised lifters in it.
    3. Sure did
    4. Bought them from DSmotorsport.com, price wasnt too bad but forget how much

cleaning doesnt last

677  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  22. GSX20

GSX20 Proven Member

Joined Oct 20, 2004
    Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
    1. I had lifter tick constantly, even after the car warmed up.

2. I used a can of Restore (little silver can at your local auto store) and an OEM Mitsu oil filter
    together with an oil change. (Mobil 1 synthetic)

3. Lifter tick is gone!! Has not come back. Did this over 2 months ago.

4. P.S. - my brother did this on his car and...........no more lifter tick!!

It really works. :thumb:

23. paranoidTSi

paranoidTSi Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2002
    none, Utah
    Whats funny is that, in association with using Stop Smoke..I did use a SuperTech Oil Filter instead of using a mitsubishi oil filter..makes me wonder now if that is WHY the lifter tick is so pronounced.

24. highpsi93tsi

highpsi93tsi Proven Member

Joined Sep 2, 2002
    Mitsubishi filter or Mopar filter?? I'd think new fram filters would be better with 10+ years of technology would they not? My lifters tick but I was going to slam some 3g lifters in but from what 3g engine???? 2.4L and roughly how much are they??

25. WhiteTsiAwd

WhiteTsiAwd Proven Member

Joined Nov 13, 2003
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Try changing oil brands. Keep the same weight, just different brands. Worked for me.