The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Lifter Tick [merged] Revised lifters 3rd Gen Generation 3g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talontsi

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
Princeton, NJ_Montgomery
I am fixing my valve tix by taking out the lifters or the auto valve lash adjusters. I have the valves cover off, the engine is at top dead center and I am on 3# cylinder. I got instructions off the net, now with either a tool or a standard screw driver press down on the valve and remove the rocker arm then remove the lifter. Which then I will clean out.
The question is where do I push down, The valve has the spring around is and the metal cap on top of that( forget the name of that) where do I push down with out damaging anything, I will probably have to push a bit so I do not want to damage anything. please help?

OK, i just posted a thread about lifter tick as well, just so happened this lifter tick problem started on me after i got my oil change last week... dunno what happened to mine but i guess ill start saving so i can rebuild this summer if my car will make it to summer.

i was told to use regular 10-30 for a while to break the new motor in and then go to synthetic its only got about 3000 miles on it sofar... so im not sure how to go about this lifter tick problem... when should i start using synthetic

I think generally after a rebuild, poeple go for one oil change with non synthetic then your fine to go synthetic.

I've had lifter tick on my DSM and both 3/S turbos- it has a LOT to do with mitsu's lifter design. Want to get rid of it forever? go to www.eagleautomotivewarehouse.com and order 16 new 99 lifters. I've never heard a 99 lifter tick.

K&N oil filters helped my oil pressure, not my tick. I've had tick on 10W30, 10W40, 20W50, I've had tick on 10W30 synth, 10W40 Synth, 15W50 synth. I did NOT have tick on 3W30 Synergyn, nor 10W30 redline. I've had tick with ATF in the oil, I've had tick with Marvel Mystery Oil, I've had tick with Lucas in the oil. I've had tick with a fresh rebuild, and I've fixed it temporarily by soaking the lifters in diesel and compressing them a few times, then pumping them up with 10W30 Castrol and they ran fine for 30-40,000 miles...

but so far, the only CURE is 99 lifters.

i always used mitsu oil filters, but the last change a couple days ago i cheaped out and bout an autozone 5$ cheapie...now i noticed some tick this morning...u think thats from the filter?

I'm getting a ticking sound ( i tried searching but haven't found anything) from the engine area, but only when I give it gas. It starts right around 1500rpms and goes away around 2700rpms. It does not matter if I am in gear or not. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for looking.

James

filters without (or with a crappy) oil anti-drainback valve have been known to allow air to be pushed into the lifters from when the oil drained back.

Although it's slightly more expensive than the Fram, or the Bosch, I'd suggest always running a WIX, K&N, or Mobil 1... Or a mitsu.

DSM's don't seem to have the horrid oil pressure problems the 3/S's have- but I found better oil pressure from those 4 filters. K&N being the highest.

Shadowfax said:
I've had lifter tick on my DSM and both 3/S turbos- it has a LOT to do with mitsu's lifter design. Want to get rid of it forever? go to www.eagleautomotivewarehouse.com and order 16 new 99 lifters. I've never heard a 99 lifter tick.

but so far, the only CURE is 99 lifters.
Well the cure is gone......

"The Eagle Has Closed!"

We want to thank all of our customers, it's been a great ride, and we've enjoyed our relationships. However, declining sales over the past few months has made it impossible to continue our business.

I get lifter tick every time i change my oil but im used it now. Kinda na edge... people always ask if my cars gonna die or if the engine is on its last leg... But anyhow the tick will go away after a couple hundred miles or so. The stock filters help and a little thicker oil helps too. I dont see the point in buying 4g64 injectors just so my car doesnt tick. If people know DSM's they know they tick :thumb:

Too bad about eagle closing down.I got some lifters a few months ago from them.I haven't installed them yet but can see why they are better.Much bigger oil hole at top of them. :D

ok heres the deal, my lifter tick seems to come and go, and sometimes it gets bad, i get a little when i first start up the car, and then it goes away. then ill be driving and it will come back, then go away then come back then go away. im starting to get ####in pissed and i dont know what to do, is there anyway i could get rid of this noise?? i know our motors are commen for ticking but this is getting me pissed, ive heard of putting some atf fluid threw some vacume line and the noise will go away??? i need help please

InjenTalon96 said:
ok heres the deal, my lifter tick seems to come and go, and sometimes it gets bad, i get a little when i first start up the car, and then it goes away. then ill be driving and it will come back, then go away then come back then go away. im starting to get ####in pissed and i dont know what to do, is there anyway i could get rid of this noise?? i know our motors are commen for ticking but this is getting me pissed, ive heard of putting some atf fluid threw some vacume line and the noise will go away??? i need help please
Search button..... :thumb:

yes i know, i just want answers for what my problem is, from ppl, i hate searching

Mine does the same and always has since I've owned my car. The last time I changed my oil, I switched to Mobil 1 and a factory (bought from Mitsu dealer) oil filter and it's nearly disappeared. It comes back from time to time, but not nearly as often as it did before.

well i switched to a thicker oil, 10w40...and ive always used good oil filters, ive been running bosch and it does it, i dont get it, maybe some 99 lifters??? does anybody think i should get new ones

Mobil 1 and a fram filter work for me. If you can't find your magic oil combo try revised lifters around 150 or so. Not worth it imo unless your getting phantom knock from the ticking.

InjenTalon96 said:
well i switched to a thicker oil, 10w40...and ive always used good oil filters, ive been running bosch and it does it, i dont get it, maybe some 99 lifters??? does anybody think i should get new ones

Before I switched to synthetic, I did research about the weight. The conclusion I came up with is that thicker oil will sometimes make it worse.

The reason I was told to use a factory filter (not 'just' a good third party one) is because there's something inside to help with the lifter tick. I don't know if it's true or just a myth, but I do know for a fact that since I started using it, my lifters hardly ever tick anymore.

I've heard about some filters have a high pressure valve so they can bypass the filter element and allow more oil flow like at high rpms. I've really got no idea but I would bet any decent filter would come with it.

take the little bastards out and soak them in deseil for a day or more, use a strightened paper clip to release them, clean them, soak them in some autotransmission fluid and reinstall, mine havent ticked once since

InjenTalon96 said:
so should i go to mitsu and get a filter and go back with 10w30

I don't see what it'd hurt to try. You don't really have anything to lose aside from the price of the oil and filter, and it doesn't hurt to have fresh oil either way. Personally i'd just wait till I was due for an oil change and do it then.

If it doesn't work, you could always try the ho bag ^ approach

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back