The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Lets see your HID Retrofit!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiReBReTHa

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 30, 2003
Aurora, Illinois
There are so many ricer HID kit threads that I figured it would be nice for a change to show off a properly done HID system.

Here is my gixxers TSX Single Projector.

Before
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

AFter

Talon Retro
Audi ECE's

I showed you mine now you show me yours...... :)

ricer HID kit?

What is a Ricer HID Kit? Just curious

BTW, the few of us that have actual "HID Projector" retrofit, have shown pictures constantly. Its like one of the top non searched for threads on DSMTuners.com. Doing HID's to a car isn't a retrofit, its a bolt in mod. Doing the proper hack to your stock or aftermarket headlights to have more of a "Legal" HID setup, would be considered an HID Projector Retrofit, allowing D2S bulbs to be used.

I wouldn't mind seing someone do a D2R Reflective HID setup. Like from a Nissan Maxima (older) and a Infiniti QX4 and some Lexus's that came with HID's and No Projectors. Might be interesting.

BTW, I love the looks, Got pictures of the actual housing, and the retrofit? I Retrofited some ebay projectors with some BMW 3 Series Projector housings, but they were non HID 9006 Projector Housings, so I have D2S bulbs with a 9006 Socket. Next to actual Stock HID setups, even BMW HID setups, I like mine much better. Except for those GMC Full Size SUV's that have the deep blue HID's. I love those.

This time around, I wanna do it up with my stock eclipse housings, and I'm thinking of either Acura TSX D2S Projectors, or trying to locate some of those GMC Full Size SUV D2S Projectors. That way I can keep my stock High Beams also.

Gonna throw my 9006/D2S HID's into my WJ.

ricer HID kit?

What is a Ricer HID Kit? Just curious

BTW, the few of us that have actual "HID Projector" retrofit, have shown pictures constantly. Its like one of the top non searched for threads on DSMTuners.com. Doing HID's to a car isn't a retrofit, its a bolt in mod. Doing the proper hack to your stock or aftermarket headlights to have more of a "Legal" HID setup, would be considered an HID Projector Retrofit, allowing D2S bulbs to be used.

I wouldn't mind seing someone do a D2R Reflective HID setup. Like from a Nissan Maxima (older) and a Infiniti QX4 and some Lexus's that came with HID's and No Projectors. Might be interesting.

I got my kit for 99$ off of ebay and its the brightest because its 8K

Yes there are allot of threads for HID on D.T and I am close to the first or oldest, I was hoping since I have been gone some more people have done a retro and it would be nice to show them all in one place.

HID kits cause severe amounts of glare out of these cars and aftermarket projectors that people need to realize that its better to do it right, than do it ricer and be cool. :beatentodeath:

it would be interesting to do something like that but in all likelyness the amount of time required to make it look halfway decent of an install would be lonnnngg... TSX's have served me well and shouldnt be too bad with clearance issues of fitting.

I will try to get up photos of the talon retro, right now I only have photos of my gixxer retro on line.

RX330 bowls with TSX lenses:

Can some explain to me what a retrofit is? I think it's modification of the bulb housing, right where it mounts. But I don't know what you would be replacing the stock lights with or anything like that...

Looks awesome. Some of you guys have ridiculously bright lights. I'm surprised no one gets pulled over for those..

A retrofit is taking OEM HID components and placing them into your non-HID housings. I don't get pulled over with mine because its using 100% factory parts that are 100% legal.

A retrofit is taking OEM HID components and placing them into your non-HID housings. I don't get pulled over with mine because its using 100% factory parts that are 100% legal.

*Because they have been approved by DOT whereas all the ricer kits state, Offroad use only, not DOT approved.

Here are the parts I used in my gixxer swap (sans the bulb)
TSx Projector

By firebretha, shot with u30D,S410D,u410D at 2006-05-01

FiReBReTHa, I'm sorry you have it all wrong. Ricer Kits? You still haven't explained this. Is this what your describing, Aftermarket projector headlights, that ususaly come with H1 bulbs, or as in the older setups, H3 Bulbs? Doing a retrofit DOES NOT make your headlights DOT Approved or in any way Legal, infact they are still very much illigal. Just more pleasing to the eyes of on coming traffic.

When you have a Stock headlight with a DOT Approval, it means itself as a whole is DOT Approved. Not its components. The projector housings themselves don't go through any Approval rating, since they aren't a whole peice anymore. Your puting hardware into your headlights, modifying them from stock apearance or spec, is what kills the DOT Approval. And the only way to get that back, is to have DOT Approve them personally. Which I've never heard of happening.

AZDave, the god of electronics knows more about this.

Same with you blackGSX2g, The parts you installed in your car's headlights, are only 100% legal in the housing that they were approved inside. The components themselves have no approval as a separate piece.

Once again, they just help out for better light output where it belongs, and are more pleasing to the eye of oncoming traffic.

ASK AZDAVE ABOUT THIS! HE KNOWS THE ACTUAL LAW CODE AND ALL THE PROPER DETAILED INFORMATION!

Blitzeclips, Those headlights aren't "bright" persay... the light is evenly and properly distributed where it belongs. Unlike Halogen. Halogen is a cheaper setup. If you were to park my car and blackGSX2g next to each other, pointing at a wall lets say... The brightness of our two HID kits will look the same. BUT, blackGSX2g's will be distributed properly. Since I have Reflector headlights made for HALOGEN Bulbs, not HID's. His headlights, using the Projector Retrofit, will have a cut off line, that when you have the headlights perfectly level, wont go above the eyes of oncoming traffic. . . My headlights, will be just as bright on the ground, but has a glare and doesn't cut off like Projectors do, which shine in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

There's more of a risk to get pulled over if you have HID's period, weather in "Legal" Projectors or in Non HID Reflector housings. I've seen Stock BMW's get pulled over for thier lighting. But I have never been pulled over.

Another thing, last note... If you buy aftermarket headlights... the projectors inside of them, are cheap peices of isht! Your fog lights produce better light then they do. Thats why so many do retrofits in aftermarket headlights.

FiReBReTHa, I'm sorry you have it all wrong. Ricer Kits? You still haven't explained this. Is this what your describing, Aftermarket projector headlights, that ususaly come with H1 bulbs, or as in the older setups, H3 Bulbs? Doing a retrofit DOES NOT make your headlights DOT Approved or in any way Legal, infact they are still very much illigal. Just more pleasing to the eyes of on coming traffic.

When you have a Stock headlight with a DOT Approval, it means itself as a whole is DOT Approved. Not its components. The projector housings themselves don't go through any Approval rating, since they aren't a whole peice anymore. Your puting hardware into your headlights, modifying them from stock apearance or spec, is what kills the DOT Approval. And the only way to get that back, is to have DOT Approve them personally. Which I've never heard of happening.

AZDave, the god of electronics knows more about this.

Same with you blackGSX2g, The parts you installed in your car's headlights, are only 100% legal in the housing that they were approved inside. The components themselves have no approval as a separate piece.

Once again, they just help out for better light output where it belongs, and are more pleasing to the eye of oncoming traffic.

ASK AZDAVE ABOUT THIS! HE KNOWS THE ACTUAL LAW CODE AND ALL THE PROPER DETAILED INFORMATION!

Blitzeclips, Those headlights aren't "bright" persay... the light is evenly and properly distributed where it belongs. Unlike Halogen. Halogen is a cheaper setup. If you were to park my car and blackGSX2g next to each other, pointing at a wall lets say... The brightness of our two HID kits will look the same. BUT, blackGSX2g's will be distributed properly. Since I have Reflector headlights made for HALOGEN Bulbs, not HID's. His headlights, using the Projector Retrofit, will have a cut off line, that when you have the headlights perfectly level, wont go above the eyes of oncoming traffic. . . My headlights, will be just as bright on the ground, but has a glare and doesn't cut off like Projectors do, which shine in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

There's more of a risk to get pulled over if you have HID's period, weather in "Legal" Projectors or in Non HID Reflector housings. I've seen Stock BMW's get pulled over for thier lighting. But I have never been pulled over.

Another thing, last note... If you buy aftermarket headlights... the projectors inside of them, are cheap peices of isht! Your fog lights produce better light then they do. Thats why so many do retrofits in aftermarket headlights.

InfiniteGSX, thanks for setting the record straight. With all the threads we've had on retrofits and stuff (that you posted in), this is the most knowledgeable post that I've seen you make. No offense intended.

OEM HALOGEN 2GB Headlight W/D2S/9006 10000K HID System:

Ebay Projector/Halo Headlights W/BMW 9006 NON HID Projector Housings W/D2S/9006 10000K HID System:

Notice the cutoff line on the walls? That, when adjusted proper, stays below oncoming traffic eyes... Also when adjusted right, give off a killer light display, mine went from purple as seen in this picture, to a very, very bright white.

InfiniteGSX, thanks for setting the record straight. With all the threads we've had on retrofits and stuff (that you posted in), this is the most knowledgeable post that I've seen you make. No offense intended.

Ehh, I try! Thx. Probably because some times I just wanna make fun of some people... ROFL

Also, what FiReBReTHa meant by "Ricer Kits" are somewhat of what you stated in your previous post; which are installing a cheap HID kit (mainly from Ebay) in your stock headlight housings or even in Ebay projectors. I guess because you're not taking the time to "do it the right way" it's called "rice" nowadays.

My HID's were bought off of Ebay. 130 bucks, 10000K. They are D2S bulbs with a 9006 Socket. So they fit in stock headlights. I don't concider it rice... But then again I do wish they were D2R bulbs, cause they would have less glare.

I dunno, I'm old school so I see rice as someone who does something to try and be "fast and furious", thinking a park bench wing will increase thier speed on thier ford tempo.

Lmao, someone called my 97 Eclipse Rice because I had a turbo wing on it, and I was restoring it to stock... ?

Someone I know, has a honda accord, ebay projectors and HID kit to match the H1 bulbs... very bright light... but still no distance or proper light distribution in his HID lighting. Infact the beams are all off wack!

Also, what FiReBReTHa meant by "Ricer Kits" are somewhat of what you stated in your previous post; which are installing a cheap HID kit (mainly from Ebay) in your stock headlight housings or even in Ebay projectors. I guess because you're not taking the time to "do it the right way" it's called "rice" nowadays.

this pretty much somes it up.

Yes, I do think your 10K Hid kit is ricer, why? because like a parkbench spoiler it does not even come close to performing like the original intended use.

an OEM HID kit is rated at 4300K, much closer to the sun's ratings rather than your 10K purple.

Yes, DOT approval refers to the whole construction. But when properly installed an OEM retrofitted HID projector will atleast perform closer to DOT expectations in comparison to a ricer Glare filled install.

Right, but since I really haven't changed the optics, oncoming cars can't tell the difference. I tried looking at my BMW with OEM HIDs and my retrofitted DSM with HIDs at night from about 150ish ft and other than a slight color difference (difference in lens optics between brands) I really couldnt' tell a difference in glare or cut-off. Both looked factory. Taken literally it is still not technically 'legal', but since oncoming cars can't tell the difference, it's doubtful a cop will either. The HID law was more to prevent people from putting generalized rebased HID bulbs into their halogen equipped vehicles.

this pretty much somes it up.
an OEM HID kit is rated at 4300K, much closer to the sun's ratings rather than your 10K purple.

Again, wrong! Not entirely, but in most cases your wrong. Only few vehicles came with an HID Setup from the factory with a low Kelvin spec like that your referring to. Infact, most come with a setup more around 6000k - 8000k. Some even come with 10000k, But are more rare. The only vehicle I can think of, that has the lowest Kelvin rating, from the factory, is a 2000 body style, Nissan Altima. And I belive they are around 4300k on to 6000k. Not sure exactly. But those are the only HID setups that from my eyes, are visible as a pure white. Also those aren't Projector setups, they are D2R Reflector setups. My HID's, were sold to me as a 10000k Rating which in most cases should be Purple? Well they aren't. The only way I got a Purple look out of them, was with the tint used on the Lenses I had on my Projectors. Yes, my pictures show the deep blue also... But I only enhanced the picture to try and get the best picture possible. In person, my headlights are pure white, with a light tint of blue. Not what I wanted, but what I got.

Also, this is also a fact as well, The GM Vehicles that come with HID's... you know those Deep Blue HID's... Those are actually more "Blue" then my HID's... And if the Kelvin rating Vs. Color is correct, from what we all know... The HID's in those GM Vehicles should be 8000k? So that should put mine at about 6000k.

Most BMW's I see, have the exact same HID's my car has. Same color... Only they are lucky cause they are on Projectors, and mine are D2S Bulbs (projector bulbs) inside a Halogen Reflector housing.

And, another thing... My HID's... seem to be brighter on the ground, then most OEM HID setups... Except those GM Vehicles with the deep blue, and I noticed a few S2k's that looked about the same.

Race Cars, use the lowest Kelvin rating possible, as well they use a hotter bulb... We are using what... 35watt bulbs? I belive they are using 55W or more. But most of the race cars I've studied, or had the pleasure to toy with, use Halogen and Projector housings made by hella, that cost almost half of what I paid for my 97 Eclipse! :sneaky:

I bought my HID setup, from ebay yes... Before I knew much about HID's. I bought it for looks! As much as I care about performance, I care for looks too. And I wanted that Deep Blue look. When I finally installed my HID's... I loved the clarity on the road... the brightness on the road... but didn't like that they weren't what I thought I was purchasing. Which is why I chose the 10000k Kit. These HID's are going to be installed inside my new Jeep Grand Cherokee. Once I can afford some NEW OEM 2GB Headlights, I will do a real D2S Projector Retrofit from possibly a TSX, or a S2K, and buy a real D2S Upgrade Setup. Now that I've done the research, and testing.

Right, but since I really haven't changed the optics, oncoming cars can't tell the difference. I tried looking at my BMW with OEM HIDs and my retrofitted DSM with HIDs at night from about 150ish ft and other than a slight color difference (difference in lens optics between brands) I really couldnt' tell a difference in glare or cut-off. Both looked factory. Taken literally it is still not technically 'legal', but since oncoming cars can't tell the difference, it's doubtful a cop will either. The HID law was more to prevent people from putting generalized rebased HID bulbs into their halogen equipped vehicles.

EXACTLY! I mean, I don't know how it could be done. But from what your explaining you COULD have your headlights DOT Approved since you did it right. I was just stating the truth about the Legality of them. The chances of you getting into any sort of trouble or complaints about your headlights, is the same chances of someone with a BMW, Audi, Acura, S2K or any other HID Compliant Vehicle. So there is really no worries. I'll get more complaints since I'm stupidly using a D2S Bulb in a Reflector Housing.

***EDIT*** Actually now that I think about it... FiReBReTHa since your camera seems to be killer, could you take a close up shot of your HID's up against a wall, to show the color change in between the cutoff line? Cause on alot of HID setups, its the Lens that gives it the look. And it looks like yours, up top looks like a blueish color... and then it goes through a rainbow into white...

Here's an image I took of my HID's UNDER the Cutoff line, where its bright...

Again, wrong! Not entirely, but in most cases your wrong. Only few vehicles came with an HID Setup from the factory with a low Kelvin spec like that your referring to. Infact, most come with a setup more around 6000k - 8000k. Some even come with 10000k, But are more rare.

I think you are a bit confused about OEM bulb color temps. I don't know of any OEM supplier straying far from the 4300K bulbs.

I don't know how to explain this other than stating these facts:

All OEM projectors bulbs are in the 4300K range. That is a fact. The color difference you see between models is related to the optics and the cutoff shields and how it splits and manipulates the light, not the color temperature of the bulb.

Aftermarket kits with re-based bulbs (made to fit into halogen bulb holders) are offered in insanely higher color temps for one reason and one reason only. They are trying to get a halogen headlamp to simulate the color splitting rainbow effect of a true OEM HID projector.

Alright... time to set some stuff straight here.. there's a lot of misinformation in this thread, so much so there's a posting on HIDPlanet about this thread because of how ridiculous some of the claims are.

First off, HID Kits are BS... no you are not putting near as much light on the ground as an OEM setup, because it's not focused or distributed properly, you're also a danger on the road, throwing much glare into people's eyes and just plain ol' being an jerk, if I saw you and your car somewhere, I'd break the headlights for you.

Second, 10,000k is totally useless, and ALL D2S OEM VEHICLES COME WITH OSRAM OR PHILIPS 4100k to 4300k BULBS. None of them come with 6000k or 8000k or whatever other blue/purple useless crap you're talking about... a D2S 4300k globe puts out 3400lumen, a 10000k puts out much much less, I wish I had a figure, but it's somewhere under 2000 lumen, halogen being around ~1100 lumen puts out more usable light than your eye glaring road hazard 10,000k junk.

Edit: ...aww Dave beat me to it

Sure doesn't look like that Ricer BS HID Setup your referring to???
Maybe I'm blind.

um, why should I take an upclose pic?

the two wall shots are more than enough.

Why dont you post up a pic of your hid kits wall shot?

I want to see you post up a piece of litature that says that OEM manufacturers have used a higher thn 5K bulb in their HID setup.

Are you even a member of HIDplanet? you are starting to become a joke over there for the things you are saying.

So your saying that GM is producing cars with BLUE lighting? because thats illegal and wouldnt pass DOT certification.

Whereas a blue cutoff line is a side effect of white light shining thru the projector.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back