The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2nd Gen HID Retrofit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostdclips99

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2006
Roanoke, Virginia
Stock lighting was starting to p*ss me off so I did some research on here and HIDplanet.com and decided to go for an HID retrofit in my GST. I found some TSX projectors w/ Lexus RX330 lenses, Denso Ballasts, and Phillips D2S 5k bulbs on eBay for $200. Thought it was a good deal so I made the purchase. I'm using the black housing ebay projectors (ones w/o angel eyes) I've noticed not too many on the forum has tried this so I figured I would. If you have any tips or questions please respond. I will probably need all the advice I can get. Oh and I'm basing my retrofit off of TrystanGST's write upWill keep updates

some pictures
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thats a good price for those projectors.

Have a link to which eclipse headlights you bought?

Post pics when youre done :thumb:

::UPDATE::
Finally got the projectors in the headlights. The first one took about a full working day, I knocked the second one out in about 2 hours. I haven't put them in the car yet because Im still debating whether to paint the black housing the same color as the car, any opinions? but here are the pictures so far.

Looking good

Just thought this was interesting
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/204742/xenon_test.html

Since your using actual Xenon lights from another car you shouldn't have this problem.
Oh and I say keep the housing black.

good luck with it

Thanks, one of my friends has the Xenon conversion in regular halogen lamps (not even projectors) and they are horrible. He thinks they are cool but I don't have the heart to tell him he paid $300 for a glared POS HID kit. After all is said and done I probably have about $240 in this project, with about 8 hours of work. Compared to him yeah I had to do a little fabrication, but I saved money and i'll actually be able to see the road

Good link man. I can't seem to explain to these Honda fools that think their shit is hot that they can cause serious problems on the roads. Next time I'll just show them this vid. ####ing morons.

And to the OP, that's a very good job you're doing. I also used TSX projectors too along with the same headlights as yours I believe (Pic below). I must admit though that before I did this I had one of those plug and play conversions kits from Ebay installed in Ebay projectors and it actually gave a pretty good "cutoff" but the light output is "night and day" compared to now. Post up pics once everything is completed.:thumb:

Edit: This was the writeup that I followed though.
http://www.rcaz.com/rcaz/sub indexes/E55_install/index.htm

Attachments

• Picture 349.jpg
    Picture 349.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,953
Good link man. I can't seem to explain to these Honda fools that think their shit is hot that they can cause serious problems on the roads. Next time I'll just show them this vid. ####ing morons.

And to the OP, that's a very good job you're doing. I also used TSX projectors too along with the same headlights as yours I believe (Pic below). I must admit though that before I did this I had one of those plug and play conversions kits from Ebay installed in Ebay projectors and it actually gave a pretty good "cutoff" but the light output is "night and day" compared to now. Post up pics once everything is completed.:thumb:

Edit: This was the writeup that I followed though.
http://www.rcaz.com/rcaz/sub indexes/E55_install/index.htm

Thanks for the link, you have any pictures of your retrofit?

I know its best to do a retrofit. but I went ahead and installed one of those H1 HID kits on my ebay projector headlamps. this is how it looks.

i have to align the left projector a bit. but I think it iluminates great and with a good cutoff line that wont bother upcoming traffic.:thumb: it was a 15 minute install.

Well, I'll tell you from experience. I've done two retros. A BMW M3 e46 series projectors, and now I have the Acura TL's. The best out there. Here's where it's gonna get frustrating. If you tested your projectors outside the headlights you notice the nice colorband and light output right? If you haven't done this yet do it. Well after I installed them into my ebay headlights the light output was reduced and the cutoff was fuzzy. This being because of the thickness and very light fluting of the lens.

Anything in front of the lens can affect the cutoff. So what I've done is replaced my lens with lexan glass. My cutoff comes out f'n beautiful. You really have to see it. I'll post pictures of light output tonight. :thumb:

P.S.

Make sure you build a correct wiring harness for your retro.

This being because of the thickness and very light fluting of the lens.

Anything in front of the lens can affect the cutoff. So what I've done is replaced my lens with lexan glass.

Youre talking about the projector lense or the entire headlight lense?

The lenses on the projectors are not lightly fluted, there's another term. I'm guesing fresnel. Well I was referring to the actual headlight lens. Like I said, I'll post the pictures tonight. Maybe a side by side comparison of ebay lens vs. lexan.

BTW, before anyone gets confused. I ditched the stock ebay projectors and fitted an oem retro. The headlight lens is what is distorting my output.

Someone did a retro one time in the stock head light housing, and I thought that one looked the best out of all the other ones I have seen. I just don't like the look of the eBay projector head lights themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
No pics yet, I worked myself to death last night doing security. I'll try and get em for yall this night.

I know its best to do a retrofit. but I went ahead and installed one of those H1 HID kits on my ebay projector headlamps. this is how it looks.

i have to align the left projector a bit. but I think it iluminates great and with a good cutoff line that wont bother upcoming traffic.:thumb: it was a 15 minute install.

SUP BRO.. Are most EBAY PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS FOR 2G eclipses H1, or any of them 9006.. I'm about to let the company know what HID bulb type I want.and am planning on using it on Projectors.... thanks!

Mark

Do you have the ebay seller ID that you got the headlights from?

Thanks!!

The previous owner of my car installed projector headlamps, I bought a H3 bulb HID kit from vvme.com, good quality kit but it comes straight from Bejing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back