The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Best Retrofit HID Kit..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justnobody

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Kearny, New_Jersey
hey .. just wondering, whats the best projectors, Audi A6? Tsx? FX-35? would any projector kit HID kit fit? .. just wanna make sure before I spend all this money on getting them done ..

Best HID? LOL Dont think there is really a best one. But. Best Projector...Most of them are all the same... Some are differen't, but not by much. Just look for the Valeo stamp... that will prove that they are D2S Projector housings. You can get them from any BMW with HID's. Any Audi or Acura with HID's...

As far as the HID system itself. Any D2S system will fit any D2S projector housing. D2S is the bulb housing. Just like our stock bulbs are 9006 and 9005. These are D2S.

D2R bulbs are made for non Projector HID Housings.

So you can search egay all day long and find a few here and there. Some are more expensive then others just because of different seller.

Best HID? LOL Dont think there is really a best one. But. Best Projector...Most of them are all the same... Some are differen't, but not by much. Just look for the Valeo stamp... that will prove that they are D2S Projector housings. You can get them from any BMW with HID's. Any Audi or Acura with HID's...

As far as the HID system itself. Any D2S system will fit any D2S projector housing. D2S is the bulb housing. Just like our stock bulbs are 9006 and 9005. These are D2S.

D2R bulbs are made for non Projector HID Housings.

So you can search egay all day long and find a few here and there. Some are more expensive then others just because of different seller.

this is a dumb question but what does DS2 mean? and H4 or H6

this is a dumb question but what does DS2 mean? and H4 or H6

It just designates a different type of bulb or bulb base.

D2S is a type of HID capsule (bulb) for OEM HID headlamps

H4, H6, H3, 9006, 9005, etc., are all bulb designations for various headlamps, fog or driving lights.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Im going to bring this thread back from the dead to clarify something that I can't seem to figure out. Correct me if I'm wrong but in order to do a true, quality retrofit for our cars you have to purchase the following:

Ebay projector headlights that fit our car (H3 bulb type)
Projector housing from an Acura, BMW, etc. (D2S bulb type)
HID ballasts
HID Bulbs that fit the projector housing that you buy (D2S)

After you get all of these you remove the stock reflector headlights, swap the Acura projector housing into the ebay projector headlights do the other retrofit things as stated in that write up on the forums, put in the D2S bulbs which match the Acura housing, plug the bulbs into the ballasts, install the new retrofitted projectors into your car and your good to go.

If this is wrong then I am very lost. Please help.

Im going to bring this thread back from the dead to clarify something that I can't seem to figure out. Correct me if I'm wrong but in order to do a true, quality retrofit for our cars you have to purchase the following:

Ebay projector headlights that fit our car (H3 bulb type)
Projector housing from an Acura, BMW, etc. (D2S bulb type)
HID ballasts
HID Bulbs that fit the projector housing that you buy (D2S)

After you get all of these you remove the stock reflector headlights, swap the Acura projector housing into the ebay projector headlights do the other retrofit things as stated in that write up on the forums, put in the D2S bulbs which match the Acura housing, plug the bulbs into the ballasts, install the new retrofitted projectors into your car and your good to go.

If this is wrong then I am very lost. Please help.

That is basically correct. In this photo I arranged the headlights with the hardest to retrofit at the top and the easiest at the bottom. Most people use one of the bottom two lights and then install a TSX projector. The TSX is one of the smaller projectors but certainly others will work but they have to be small. You usually have to design new projector brackets and a new dust cover too since the projectors tend to be longer snd stick out the rear of the housing.

The loose projector shown in this photo is a TSX unit.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Dave, what makes some headlights harder than others to do the retrofit?

Thanks Dave. That is some great info. Im looking for black projectors with out halos. You seem to know a lot about projectors so let me ask... Do you have a link, company, or name of a headlight that fits that description? I am currently looking at purchasing ones from seller revotec on ebay (eBay Motors: 97 98 99 Eclipse Projector Headlights HEAD LAMPS BLACK (item 400022825957 end time Feb-06-09 14:54:26 PST)) or seller sabersport (eBay Motors: 97-98-99 ECLIPSE BLACK CHROME ION PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS (item 290287603590 end time Feb-05-09 15:19:49 PST))

Thanks for your help.

Dave, what makes some headlights harder than others to do the retrofit?

Space is too tight in most of them since have to able to mount them securely and still have an easy way to align the beam. They also stick out the rear so weather sealing is an issue. When you retro a projector into an OEM housing you have the space problems but also issues with how to hide all the construction and still have adjustability within the OEM bezels.

Clutch GSX,

I don't have any secret sources. I watch Ebay and see what comes along. All the speed shops are selling the same stuff at inflated prices so I never look there. If there is a certain style you want (no halos) you may have to kee an eye out for them. Most vendors think eveyone wants halos and that's about all you see. The ones in your link look about as good as you'll find and the price is probably not going to get better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back