The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

is my speed density setup correctly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo98eclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2004
northern, New_Jersey
ive been doing some tuning/logging using v3lite and was able to get my car roughly where i wanted it, so i decided to take it a step further and install my SD setup. i got it off of ecmtuning when i purchased link/got my eprom chipped. ECMTuning, Inc.
it says 4 bar, but the senor itself has "7-bar" stamped right onto it... :confused:

i wired the connector it comes with to where the MAP connector is. red goes to green/yellow, blue goes to green/black, and black goes to black. its mounted on my firewall and i have the vac line from the "P" source on my TB feeding it vacuum.

IAT is connected to the MAF connector via pins 5 and 6 (black and red/blue i believe). the sensor is on my UICP about 6 or so inches away from my TB and 4-5 inches before my BOV. my maf is now NO LONGER connected to the stock maf sensor.

now onto link:

under ECU inputs--pin assignments, i put baro to gm IAT and MDP to GM 3 bar.... im not sure what to do with that as this is supposed to be a 4 bar?? i locked the MDP voltage. changed MAP to MDP and sensor type to GM 3bar, engine displacement to 2.0. and thats about it. i did a live data log and GM3bar read around -22, but GMIAT was set and not changing at 302 degrees?!?

is there anything i did wrong or need to change?

Do not lock the mpd sensor. You want the omni power 4 bar set as your map. Also make sure the wires are pushed in enough on the Iat. They sometimes won;t get a good connection and need alittle help

Do not lock the mpd sensor. You want the omni power 4 bar set as your map. Also make sure the wires are pushed in enough on the Iat. They sometimes won;t get a good connection and need alittle help

thanx on the MDP/map info, changed that just now. i tried to push the iat in a bit harder and nothing changed... i also disconnected the pigtail from the sensor itself and nothing changed either... is it possible i have it hooked up wrong? pic included-- those 2 cut wires are the 2 i used to connect the iat to

Attachments

• iat.jpg
    iat.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 423
it says 4 bar, but the senor itself has "7-bar" stamped right onto it...
Say what now? Can you get me a picture of that? All the sensors I just checked say 4-bar. Maybe you got a fluke 7-bar sensor that got thrown into the mix somehow. It's easy to tell, though. Just datalog the sensor as an Omni 4-bar and see if it shows around atmospheric pressure before you start the engine.

i wired the connector it comes with to where the MAP connector is. red goes to green/yellow, blue goes to green/black, and black goes to black.
Sounds right to me. That means you're using the factory MDP input as your boost signal and you're using the factory IAT input as your IAT signal.

its mounted on my firewall and i have the vac line from the "P" source on my TB feeding it vacuum.
Using a throttle body port for your boost source is not good. This page has details.

sdhose [ECMTuning - wiki]

You want the most direct manifold pressure source you can get with as little restriction as possible. The throttle body ports have tiny little internal openings feeding those nipples. That results in sluggish response by the boost sensor, which causes all sorts of driveability issues.

under ECU inputs--pin assignments, i put baro to gm IAT and MDP to GM 3 bar....
Why would you do that? You have the IAT sensor wired to the IAT input and you have an Omni 4-bar (presumably) wired to the MDP input. You have nothing connected to the baro input. So set the baro pin to none/unassigned, set the IAT input to be a GM IAT sensor and set the MDP to be an Omni 4-bar.

i locked the MDP voltage
That's correct. Since you have a non-stock sensor connected to that input, it's best to lock the value seen by the factory code so it doesn't get all upset.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

Say what now? Can you get me a picture of that? All the sensors I just checked say 4-bar. Maybe you got a fluke 7-bar sensor that got thrown into the mix somehow. It's easy to tell, though. Just datalog the sensor as an Omni 4-bar and see if it shows around atmospheric pressure before you start the engine.

let me know if you need that back or if i need to swap it for a legit 4bar to get things working correctly for either of us

edit:: omni4bar reads 0.1 -inHg/+psi with car off.... sounds good?

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 294
i locked the MDP voltage.

Do not lock the mpd sensor.
I was hoping you could explain why? I wrote up a tech article on Wiring & logging an AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor and in there I say to lock the MDP sensor since a MAP sensor is in its place... I was hoping you know something that I don't that way I can change it if its mis-information being put out to the community.

For the OP, I don't know anything about running or tuning for a SD setup since I haven't crossed that bridge yet. I do have a IAT and MAP sensor though, I'm just running a GM MAF instead of going SD setup since the tuning aspect of it I'm not comfortable doing on my own. Sorry I couldn't help!

:dsm:

I was hoping you could explain why? I wrote up a tech article on Wiring & logging an AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor and in there I say to lock the MDP sensor since a MAP sensor is in its place... I was hoping you know something that I don't that way I can change it if its mis-information being put out to the community.

For the OP, I don't know anything about running or tuning for a SD setup since I haven't crossed that bridge yet. I do have a IAT and MAP sensor though, I'm just running a GM MAF instead of going SD setup since the tuning aspect of it I'm not comfortable doing on my own. Sorry I couldn't help!

LOL its no prob. im sure someone on here or the link forums will point me in the right direction. maybe then i can teach you a thing or two :p

let me know if you need that back or if i need to swap it for a legit 4bar to get things working correctly for either of us

edit:: omni4bar reads 0.1 -inHg/+psi with car off.... sounds good?

That sounds right. Must have just been a fluke from the manufacturer, they don't even have a 7 bar map sensor in the GM style housing:
Omni Power USA, Inc - Still Going

Like Tom said a couple posts up, the MDP should be locked.
That's correct. Since you have a non-stock sensor connected to that input, it's best to lock the value seen by the factory code so it doesn't get all upset.

well, heres my first SD log... some light throttle, WOT, and launch control data all in the same cruise. how are we looking?

Attachments

• 1st SD datalog.elg
    227.3 KB · Views: 141
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back