The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Is a gm MAF the only way to go????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnynitrous

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
T bay, ON_Canada
Just wondering alot of people go with the gm maf on the 1g's ....how much of a benifit would this be. is there a problem with the stock 1g stuff?

ok so your saying straight methonal.
I thought the 50/50 mix was the ticket
so have you used pump gas and methonal injection.how much horse power did you get out of it?

Thanks I got the just of it now.
Doesn't seen impossible.
is sd better than the gm maf on the streets?

Running straight meth will be changing your tune to compensate for the 100% meth as an added fuel source and slower burn rate in the cylinders. 50:50 is the optimal as you get slower burn and cooler cylinders and/or colder IAT. You really need to test and see what your car likes better with nozzle size and concentration ratio.

One isn't "better" than another, they are all airflow metering systems and do the same thing. Speed density is more forgiving if you have a boost leak unlike any of the other sensors unless it's pre sensor on the GM MAF while in blow through.

Last edited by a moderator:
So back to this 91+water/meth and 110 how close are they going to be
how much water/meth would have to be added

How much did you get out of 91+water/meth liquidx?

I haven't used it yet but it's all in the tuning that you do. You can up the psi and timing with the proper tune and gain a lot more than just putting it in the system.

Check out the meth/nitrous forum on here and goto www.devilsown.com for information as well. It's where I learned everything I'm telling you now from this past week.

Gotta be proactive and find information :thumb:

So back to this 91+water/meth and 110 how close are they going to be
how much water/meth would have to be added

How much did you get out of 91+water/meth liquidx?

You dont gain horsepower from just adding methanol injection you have to increase the power by upping your tune, boost,timing, airflow ratio. If you took your car right now and added race gas to it the benefits will be very minor. same for methanol. on 91 octane you will only be able to run id say about 20psi and with meth you will be able to increase your boost then increasing power.

example. I can only get around 20psi on 93 octane. I run a progressive methanol kit and I have upped my timing boost and air fuel I now am about 33-35psi. I run straight methanol no water.
I gained close to 200whp from the much more aggressive tune. remember you cant just add it to your car keep the setting the same and think there will be an increase of power because there wont be.
I hope you get the point. Its just there so you have the ability to maximize your power.

we understand you can increase the tune when you put methanol into it. You dont have to tell us. He's just saying where did you end up for estimated hp, with the meth kit installed. Around here, with our 91 octane we can get to around 19-21psi for estimated boost and then it starts to detonate and take timing, but even with that, the peak timing is getting MAYBE 15 degrees. We do have shitty gas, so we're just wondering where we would end up for psi if we both had methanol kits.

Thats to large of a scenario, it will be different for everyone, depending on your setup and i answered what you can expect from the meth injection. If you had a turbo that supported the airflow 91 octane doesn't matter anymore with meth. You can easily run 30psi with 87 oct and meth.

I am using the devils own meth kit running 100% meth with the 7gph nozzle I think...I cant remember right now:confused: LOL it is to early. I was able to run a max of around 18psi with my b16g and now I can run 24psi all day long. I am using their base kit and the meth kick ons @ 15psi. I have the nozzle around 10-12in from the TB. I am very happy with the kit and it was very easy to install.

Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
it also matters the size of the nozzle and the size pump, potentially larger the more boost. I run a single 14gph on a controller

You dont gain horsepower from just adding methanol injection you have to increase the power by upping your tune, boost,timing, airflow ratio. If you took your car right now and added race gas to it the benefits will be very minor. same for methanol. on 91 octane you will only be able to run id say about 20psi and with meth you will be able to increase your boost then increasing power.

example. I can only get around 20psi on 93 octane. I run a progressive methanol kit and I have upped my timing boost and air fuel I now am about 33-35psi. I run straight methanol no water.
I gained close to 200whp from the much more aggressive tune. remember you cant just add it to your car keep the setting the same and think there will be an increase of power because there wont be.
I hope you get the point. Its just there so you have the ability to maximize your power.

I get it. i know you have to tune up everything.
o.k. so i have learned some more.
so your telling me i should be able to max out my b16g with a straight meth kit?and 91??(and supporting mods and tune)
I hope this info is correct. cause if this is totally true with no hidden problems them i will be heading in this direction

I get it. i know you have to tune up everything.
o.k. so i have learned some more.
so your telling me i should be able to max out my b16g with a straight meth kit?and 91??(and supporting mods and tune)
I hope this info is correct. cause if this is totally true with no hidden problems them i will be heading in this direction

Yes, with meth and 91 with supporting mods you will max out your b16g. From what I understand, I believe the b16g starts losing efficiency around the 24-26psi mark. Correct me if I am wrong fellas/ladies.

Kyle

yeah the turbo itself can do it now its up to you johnny to get a real good flowing set up. intercooler possible an intake manifold, and a nice set of 272 cams will make that turbo max out.
then you will be lucky with around 350whp with the turbo maxed out maybe a little higher but thats when you uprade the turbo
. kyle thats pretty accurate, it runs out of efficiency at higher rpm's so you allow it to spike high with boost making power in the mid range example with be boosting around 33psi and drops to about 25psi at redline

also the 2g mass will be plenty for that turbo, once you get into the larger horsepower range thats when you will want to upgrade to the gm maf. and there pretty cheap. if you have ecmlink V3 you can buy their cable and just plug it in and its just about ready to go.

yeah the turbo itself can do it now its up to you johnny to get a real good flowing set up. intercooler possible an intake manifold, and a nice set of 272 cams will make that turbo max out.
then you will be lucky with around 350whp with the turbo maxed out maybe a little higher but thats when you uprade the turbo
. kyle thats pretty accurate, it runs out of efficiency at higher rpm's so you allow it to spike high with boost making power in the mid range example with be boosting around 33psi and drops to about 25psi at redline

also the 2g mass will be plenty for that turbo, once you get into the larger horsepower range thats when you will want to upgrade to the gm maf. and there pretty cheap. if you have ecmlink V3 you can buy their cable and just plug it in and its just about ready to go.

this has been one of the best answers i have got.
thanks.
i got a front mount. what intake would you recomend

Any intake for your turbo that will fit, got mine from dejon go to site it fits 14b 16g turbos. is that what you mean use your stock intake, you dont need anything esle.

The best intake is one that has the same diameter as your turbo inlet. Those massive reducer couplers cause turbulence which is a performance loss.

I've tuned with GM MAFs and 2g MAFs, I have never kept a 1g MAF on a car for more than a month. If you want to upgrade your MAF, go with the evo 9 #482 MAF Keydiver sells the MAF and harnes for the 1g

1g: DSMChips.com | DSM ECU Chips Enchanced by Keydiver

They only have the harnes for the 2g.

The #501 MAF works the same as any 3g MAF, I think its just a 5% flow decrease form the #482.

nice...excellent information. I think we're getting good input
Now can we touch on the tunability of the the 2g maf and the 2g hacked maf(and which is better)
and what keeps the gm maf from just beening on top? it looks like you can get the most hps out of it???
is it not good on the street??why not??

Yep i didnt read the intake on your turbo, wanst sure of intake you meant. Way to much information on some questions, you have to take the time like most of us and look.,

nice...excellent information. I think we're getting good input
Now can we touch on the tunability of the the 2g maf and the 2g hacked maf(and which is better)
and what keeps the gm maf from just beening on top? it looks like you can get the most hps out of it???
is it not good on the street??why not??

The 2g maf and a 2g hacked maf are the same thing, the hacked 1 is just with the honey combs removed and thats a thing in the past people dont do this because it makes your car idle and cruz like crap so just keep it normal. tuning will be just about the same they do the same thing one just allows you to shove more air into the motor and read it the other like a 1g maf stops reading after you get so far
The difference between the mafs arent the actual diameter its the meter in them. The GM maf doesnt run out of steam and there really isnt negatives about it on the street and racing. But if you just want it because its one of the best setups dont get it yet keep it simple people are hitting 9 second passes with a 2g maf.
another thing back to the meth injection it was the second best mod I did. hope that helps

My old thread....Hmmm
All this info actually paid off for me thanks to you all for help.
So where I sit to day is I have went with the SD and the water/meth kit.Last week I brought it to the track and ran a 12.9@106 I am pretty happy with that. I was running25psi.I had tried to turn the boost up to 27 and it didn't go faster. I still need to upgrade my Upper intercooler piping. And maybe some cams.

THANKS!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back