The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Is a gm MAF the only way to go????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnynitrous

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
T bay, ON_Canada
Just wondering alot of people go with the gm maf on the 1g's ....how much of a benifit would this be. is there a problem with the stock 1g stuff?

The stock MAS is restrictive and ugly on a 1g. Some people prefer the GM MAF while others go with a 2g MAS. The more brave and daring get a setup that will utilize speed density :thumb:

What is the inside diameter of the 2g mas
the gm one is 3 inch correct?

The GM MAF is less restrictive over all. The 2g MAS is a honeycomb internal and the GM MAF has 3 resistors in the air way.

You will need a MAFT to use the GM MAF and it is a PISS POOR tuning solution so you would be spending all that money just to run a new air metering system.

That said, money is best spent elsewhere until the restriction poses issues.

There are no actual gains from switching until it becomes a restriction.

Can we get a picture of this set up please
options!!!!

ya a sd set up. when i hear this... all i can come up with is a ford truck set up.is it?
I need to be tought like seasame street on this one.all the rest i totally understand how the work.

I prefer the 3g/evo maf, it even fits right into the stock intake pipe. I like the reliability and hassle free-ness of a mitsu maf myself.

To run speed density you'll either need an AEM EMS, ECMLink v3, or DS-MAP

All you do is remove the stock MAF (after dialing in your VE table for SD which is the best way to do it), install an IAT and a MAP sensor.

You wont be able to convert to speed density without a proper tuning program and a Baro and IAT Sensors connected, depending on your setup Gm maf is good if you have dsmlink if not go with something easy to deal with. Easiest and the simplest is the 2g mass or an even better option would be an evo/3g mas just need to swap out the pigtails. the 2g mass can handle between 400-450hp the evo mass will be more like 550hp and the gm maf or speed density would be as much as you can throw at it. hope that helps, just matters what your shooting for

I am looking to make as much as i can LOL...
I want to drive the car to work and bag the crap out of it at the track.I got lots of parts to go through.
i was thinking to take it to a point where everytime i go out it breaks and back up 2 ticks.
how reliable is a 1g with 550hps stock trans 4 bolt diff welded center 2600 clutch full weight.
this sound like a standard issue kids post but it's not the case...I own a 72 nova best run on it is 9.8 135mph..and i thought i'd give this dsm thing a try.(plus take out my buddies talon)

Johnny with your statement, you dint fully know what you are goin to do. You need a solid game plan and build around it. If you just throw parts at it you will be wasting money. Do
It right, buy it once.

Certain mods will make it unusable on street or hard to use on the stress for a DD. Do you eat a lot of lag or little lag? What fuel are you using? Meth injection, nitrous?

All of this and more needs to be understood by yourself first to seterming how you should do your build.

you better have sumthin better then your bi*** 1g for me LOL

I fail to see where this fits into this thread?

Basically until you start hitting into the higher HP range, the last thing you need to be worrying about is your MAF. As it's already been stated, the stock MAF is capable of handing intake flow upwards towards 300Hp. In that case, you have a bit to go.

If you're wanting to DD this car, you want to stick somewhere between 250-450 max. I'm positive you can DD much more, but to keep SOME sense of reliability you want to keep the ponies as low as possible while keeping yourself happy. I'd suggest you simply go with a 2G MAF setup. It should provide the flow you're looking for and it won't cost nearly 200 for a GM MAFT setup.

Johnny with your statement, you dint fully know what you are goin to do. You need a solid game plan and build around it. If you just throw parts at it you will be wasting money. Do
It right, buy it once.

Certain mods will make it unusable on street or hard to use on the stress for a DD. Do you eat a lot of lag or little lag? What fuel are you using? Meth injection, nitrous?

All of this and more needs to be understood by yourself first to seterming how you should do your build.

Of course, this is Grade A advice from an experienced member who's dipped into SD and knows his way around an engine. Before you go about slapping bolts-ons on left and right, do some research and plot out a path. If you don't and mindlessly toss crap on... it'll get you nothing besides a headache and more posts here asking what went wrong.

Wow, I didn't realize how many spelling errors were in my post. Freaking iPhone. Haha

It right, buy it once.

I got a plan. the fuel is going to be 110 at the track and most likely nitrous also. and 91 on the street. i think i am going to get a water meth kit.
I can't and wont throw money around. i am cheap.but know i have to spend money some where.
you guys convinced me to go with the 2g maf. and might look at the evo maf at a later date. i believe this is all the power i'll need. how is a hacked 2g on the streets?and what is the gain?
i am just out here feeling everything out . no point shutting my eyes to options.
more feed back would be great

Just keep the 1g maf until you figure out your build. Do research on each part you hear about and learn what it does and what needs done.

You obviously don't know much abut what's things do as running 91 octane with meth injection will make it roughly the same octane as race gas. Take your time before doing anything right now to read ip and learn. Please search as well using title search to get your info.

Just keep the 1g maf until you figure out your build. Do research on each part you hear about and learn what it does and what needs done.

You obviously don't know much abut what's things do as running 91 octane with meth injection will make it roughly the same octane as race gas. Take your time before doing anything right now to read ip and learn. Please search as well using title search to get your info.

my buddy has a 2g maf for me.
I will do the research but i am more or less going to be limited to what i have.
I got all the standard mods fuel pump,reg, fmic,b16g dsmlinkv3.going to come into possesion of a 20g and a 2g manifold.
and the obviously part about that i don't know much is.i have a thread going about 110 and e-85(to learn) there are a couple of smart guys on there. so i was asking about a 91+meth and the answer was that you would get more out of the 110.was i lied to?if so then why research.

Cost for cost it's cheaper to just run pump+methanol. Your water:alcohol ratio if you mix will determine your overall octane value. Btw race gas is a high concentration of methanol IIRC.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back