The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Installing Camshafts Into New Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackStieben

Proven Member
Feb 11, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Every instructional on camshafts installs seem to show how to do it with the engine still installed in the car. I am wondering how much different it is when I have everything sitting on the engine stand? I might be overthinking but I would like to double check. Do I just bolt the cam gears onto the new cams and place them at TDC? How will I know if the camshaft is lined up with the gear? Any input is greatly appreciated

The cams have pins on the gear end that go through the cam gears, really cant mess that up. As long as the timing is already correct, and you dont alter it, the engine being out will make it all a little easier. RoadRace engineering has a good write up you can follow, but with the engine in. If the engine is already properly timed, you will be putting it at TDC before you take anything apart, then eventually just dropping the new cams in place and through the already correctly placed and secured cam gears.

Sound like you should do some more research before you proceed though. You will know when your ready.

Okay I didn't remember that there are alignment pins for the gears. Everything else is in time so I shouldn't have any issues. I'm not out in my garage right now looking at everything or I probably could be figured it out myself. Thanks for the reply!

You will have an easier time than ever with the engine being out of the car. Just place the number one piston at TDC install with the dowel holes up and end up with the marks on the sprockets pointing towards each other. You will be able to torque the cam manes down no matter how they sit, after that you will need to use a wrench to hold the cams in place while you route the timing belt and get your marks lined up.

I would bleed HLA's at that time so no chance of bending valves.

It would be a heck of a squeeze for me to get a degree wheel on AND READ IT is the real problem. My dial indicators are all magnetic bases too so they don't stick to aluminum. I suppose it can be done but with what accuracy, I am not sure.

Okay so heres my checklist of what I'm going to do, in order:

1. Install cam seals onto cams
  2. Bolt gears to the camshafts
  3. Install cams with engine at TDC
  4. Finish timing job
When should I torque the cam bolts? After the tining belt is tensioned like the oil pump sprocket? Or should I do it before. What do y'all recommend for installation? Assembly lube or motor oil?

Okay so heres my checklist of what I'm going to do, in order:

1. Install cam seals onto cams
  2. Bolt gears to the camshafts
  3. Install cams with engine at TDC
  4. Finish timing job
When should I torque the cam bolts? After the tining belt is tensioned like the oil pump sprocket? Or should I do it before. What do y'all recommend for installation? Assembly lube or motor oil?
I torque the cam gear bolts before I timed the motor (~65ft-lbs with a dab of loctite). Also I made sure the pistons were all down in the middle of the cylinders then moved the cam gears so the dowels were pointing at 12 o'clock. Mine weren't exactly at 12 as you can see in the second picture :) After cams were set then I moved the engine to TDC. Used assembly lube on everything. Good luck
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I have aftermarket gears I just tossed them in, didn't degree them too much work for the effort.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back