The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Idle Surge Posible Cause cracked FIAV

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7xinsane

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2013
clarence, Pennsylvania
Hey guys. So ive been having some real trouble with idle surge over the past month or 2. I followed terrys idle surge guide to a T and still had found nothing so I post this in hopes it may help someone... I had tried everything except a full fiav block off. IAC, TPS, wiring, etc... So finally i sent my throttle body off to throttlebodies.com to be rebuilt to remove any doubt of a bad fiav or plate or what have you... Well after it got back to me I was still having the exact same issues. Hell i even tried switching to speed density to see if it had an effect and it did not. So after another month of trying everything 20 more times i finally said screw it and popped the freeze plug off the back of the throttle body. I saw nothing out of the norm at first but when i rotated the black plastic screw in it began to separate at the middle... My fiav valve had cracked down the center perfectly. It was so fine a crack i cant blame the builder for missing it. But just be aware that this may be the issue plaguing you if you have tried everything but replacing a fiav. Also a warning to others that if you send your throttle body out to be rebuild your builder(or even you) will probably miss this.

Attachments

• 20191106_204731.jpg
    20191106_204731.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 20191106_204705.jpg
    20191106_204705.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 103
Yup it was such a fine crack I couldnt even see it before i started turning the valve. Thats why i made this post.

Turn it all the way in so it bottoms out and seal up the plug with a bit of rtv around the plug and put it back on. My car cold starts at 1500rpm and 800 hot idling. No surge at all that coolant cold start thing is junk.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back