The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

HX40 Turbine Housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsfutbol17

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Bellingham, Washington
I have been searching and I can't seem to find an aftermarket divided T3 or T4 turbine housing for the HX40. I thought I have seen a few people say that they had T3 holset factory housings on thier HX-40s, but I seem to see more people with the 19cm^2 housings stock.

I have a divided T3 manifold, so an open T3 .7 A/R turbine housing wouldn't be utilizing my manifold to the $1k that it cost. I don't mind the .7 A/R because it will let it breathe well up top, but isn't too big to make it spool slow. Sorry if this belongs in the newb section or I need to learn to search better, but I did search.

Does an aftermarket divided T3 or T4 housing exist for the HX40?

HX40's come with a twin scroll t4 turbine housing stock. I've heard some people have found hx40's with t3 housings but I've never seen it myself.

I have a stock t3 divided 16cm2 housing that I ran on my car. It spooled up about 200 or so rpms later then my currency bep .70 a/r. The exhaust pressure was few psi less with the 16cm2 and car seems to be pulling better at the top end. I bought it for testing purposes and no longer need it. I cut off all the extra junk of the back side and welded the wastegate hole shut, also I welded a 3" v-band flange to it. It looks a lot better then it was before, I have pics but don't know how to get them on here off my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a stock t3 divided 16cm2 housing that I ran on my car. It spooled up about 200 or so rpms later then my currency bep .70 a/r. The exhaust pressure was few psi less with the 16cm2 and car seems to be pulling better at the top end. I bought it for testing purposes and no longer need it. I cut off all the extra junk of the back side and welded the wastegate hole shut, also I welded a 3" v-band flange to it. It looks a lot better then it was before, I have pics but don't know how to get them on here off my phone.
hes asking about numbers for that housing with a divided manifold like he has. your situation isn't comparable at all imo because of course you will spool quicker with an open t3, you were trying to run a divided housing with an open flanged manifold. always a terrible decision.

hes asking about numbers for that housing with a divided manifold like he has. your situation isn't comparable at all imo because of course you will spool quicker with an open t3, you were trying to run a divided housing with an open flanged manifold. always a terrible decision.

I was just letting him know what I have. According to your mod list you are rolling a 16g so I don't know where you get your experience with big turbos. I've put divided housing on several cars with none divided manifold and they works just fine. Obviously you don't get the full benefit of the divided housing but it works no different then a none divided. All you have to do is knife edge the center divider a little bit to smooth out the flow.

I was just letting him know what I have. According to your mod list you are rolling a 16g so I don't know where you get your experience with big turbos. I've put divided housing on several cars with none divided manifold and they works just fine. Obviously you don't get the full benefit of the divided housing but it works no different then a none divided. All you have to do is knife edge the center divider a little bit to smooth out the flow.
My car isn't rolling at all, actually :) I only know a little, just enough to know a open housing mated to an open manifold is going to be better than using a divided housing on an open outlet manifold. If you want to make the argument that a divided housing isn't going to be a restriction by simply knife edging the divider, best of luck to you. "Working just fine" is pretty subjective. Yes, it will work just fine, but swapping to a similar A/R open housing will work better. I'm just speaking for myself, but with my build, im looking for an optimum setup, not a series of mismatched parts patched together out of convenience. I guess its just a matter of preference. If OP is willing to invest 700-1000$ on a divided manifold, im pretty sure he will spring for an appropriate turbine housing.

My car isn't rolling at all, actually :) I only know a little, just enough to know a open housing mated to an open manifold is going to be better than using a divided housing on an open outlet manifold. If you want to make the argument that a divided housing isn't going to be a restriction by simply knife edging the divider, best of luck to you. "Working just fine" is pretty subjective. Yes, it will work just fine, but swapping to a similar A/R open housing will work better. I'm just speaking for myself, but with my build, im looking for an optimum setup, not a series of mismatched parts patched together out of convenience. I guess its just a matter of preference. If OP is willing to invest 700-1000$ on a divided manifold, im pretty sure he will spring for an appropriate turbine housing.

You must have not read my first post careful enough to see what I was saying. I didn't say what's better and what's worse, I only described what I had and my expedient with it. I don't have time to argue with you but I don't understand what restriction you are tallking about, its either 2 runners in to one side of the housing and 2 in the other vs 4 in to the housing, its still the same amount of flow in to the same wheel and the same housing you just don't get the benefit of a divided manifold and housing. The only restriction would be is the size of a passage inside the housing and 16cm2 is bigger then bep .70 a/r. I did it on my car and I know how it worked. He said he had a divided manifold so I was just letting him know that there is a 16cm2 t3 housing available and I'm sure it will work better on his car because of his manifold.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back