The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Hurst Pro-Matic 2 ratchet shifter installed in my 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini zilo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
I got my hurst pro-matic 2 ratchet shifter installed tonight in my gsx. I bought it at Advance Auto parts for like 170 bucks. Every once in a while I do things that dont make sense LOL.

Anyways, it fits very well with my center console and everything. The cable went in very well and I had to mess with the trans bracket a little but I got it to work. All I had to do to install it was remove the old shifter obviously, and then drill new mounting holes in the floor. Then I used some washers to get the shifter nice and level, and then secured it down with sheet metal screws.

The ratchet shifter will be very good to use along with the RMT shift box that I have installed in my car (quick manual shifts at full pressure). I am making a plate out of some sheet metal to cover up the big hole in the console, and I am going to mount my overdrive toggle switch on there.

Is anyone interested in a write-up of how to install this shifter? It is fairly easy, and takes about 2-3 hours total to put in. It definitely gives a better "feel" then the stock selector.

Here is a few pics and a vid of how the ratchet action works:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You LIFT the shifter from park to go into reverse, then pull back to neutral, then push DOWN to ratchet into drive, then ratchet back to 2nd, first, etc.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P7SLdFmsx90&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P7SLdFmsx90&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Let me know if you guys want a write up or something, and let me know what you think overall!

I would definatly like to see a write up on that install.
There have been a few members asking about installing a rachet shifter, I'm shure they would like it aswell. :thumb:

Have you thought about using a manual shifter boot, instead of making a plate?

Have you thought about using a manual shifter boot, instead of making a plate?

Yeah, I actually tried that first. The problem is, the shifter wont ratchet to lower gears with the boot because it hits into the little plastic trim piece that holds the boot. I tried trimming that too, but it just looks bad.

Alright guys, it is fully installed/tested. It works great! I will get some driving videos up very soon. I also made a little plate out of sheet metal to cover the gap in the center console. I painted it flat black to match the interior.

The install was fairly easy, I just had to drill some holes in the floor and use sheet metal screws to mount it, using washers to keep it level. Then I ran the cable through the firewall in the stock hole, and then used a vice and a really big wrench to bend the stock manual control lever on the transmission ( the thing the cable attaches too). From there, I used one of the brackets that came in the kit to hold the cable, and then got some lock nuts and washers to hold the cable to the manual control lever. Here is the finished product, let me know what you think!

I decided that plate looked a little too out of place, so I did some more cutting (cutting that I originally did not want to have to do) but I got it to work with the manual boot. I also put a T-handle on because the shifter is much easier to "operate" that way.

nice work, now for some driving videos!

Here is a video of me using it.

I don't manually shift it like this just normally driving, I just leave it in D, but I did it in the video so you guys can get an idea of how the shifter works.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlRCKARtfCo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlRCKARtfCo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I decided that plate looked a little too out of place, so I did some more cutting (cutting that I originally did not want to have to do) but I got it to work with the manual boot. I also put a T-handle on because the shifter is much easier to "operate" that way.

Where can i get this one from?^

I guess I need to get or make a shift box first... But please do a write up, that'll help take some of the guesswork out for the rest of us.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back