The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Hubcaps VS Paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubWub

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 7, 2012
Saginaw, Michigan
So here's the backstory. Cruisin around when I heard an odd noise when I hit bumps, railroad tracks, etc. Stopped at a gas station and noticed the drivers side rear hubcap was lose. I took it off, drove home and attempted to fix it. I have/had no idea about hubcaps becuase personally, I hate them, and I've never used them. (Don't have the cash to afford real rims right now :cry: ) After I "fixed" it, I put it back on, and drove to work. It fell off :banghead: . Needless to say I was angry. I looked for it after work and couldn't find it.

Anyway, because I hate hubs and the rims underneath didn't look too bad, I decided to try and paint em. What do you guys think? Also, I know the center thing has to be painted, and I need painted/chrome lugs, I know.

Open to all criticism and suggestions. Do you like it? Or should I find some other rims... or even hubcaps? :hmm:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I like it. I would rock it until you can afford to buy rims. Hubcaps suck.

Looks decent. I don't think it is hideous by any means. Start saving for some nice rims but until then, the painted wheels aren't half bad. Good work.

That doesn't look bad, i would rock that until i could afford some real rims, hubcaps are ugly, noisy, and virtually worthless, so the painted steelies suffice IMO.

Painted steelies beats hubcaps any day of the week. Looks good

You could go another notch and paint the lip black!! Match the car ;) but overall not bad for steelies! And are you going to paint the other 3?

I agree with the above post, paint the lip black and the insert white.

Painted steelies (nicely done ones) get credit from the stance crowd. Or at least they did, but I think it looks nice

painted steelies! for the win=) Looks really good man, do the rest that way you don't have to worry about losing another ugly hubcap also.

You could go another notch and paint the lip black!! Match the car ;) but overall not bad for steelies! And are you going to paint the other 3?

By the lip, do you mean the very small flat part on the outermost part of the rim? Or everything starting at the rubber, all the way to the inner "second" circle? So to speak...

EDIT: Also, does anyone know if these rims had caps for the center? I'm fine with showing the lugs and lil center cap on the back wheels, but on the front they look way different (because of the FWD) and its bothering me.

And are you going to paint the other 3?

Of course! :p

steelies typically dont have center caps, that's why they always had hub caps on them.

Its looks ok but I don't like how the painted portion looks much brighter then the actual car that to me distracts from the overall car a bit. Possibly a different shade of white? Either way though I see nothing wrong with rocking it now and changing it later.

steelies typically dont have center caps, that's why they always had hub caps on them.

Thats what I figured, just asking.

Its looks ok but I don't like how the painted portion looks much brighter then the actual car that to me distracts from the overall car a bit. Possibly a different shade of white? Either way though I see nothing wrong with rocking it now and changing it later.

Yeah I know. Thats the first thing I noticed. I was like, "Damn that car is faded..." LOL

Definitely looks better then hubcaps, good job. I've always painted my wheels. I didn't care much for the chrome look.

from this

to this

i think the white steelies look great on there gives it a different look, and its much better than any hubcap could make it look ..... just my .02 tho

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back