The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Interior Questions - Dash, panels, paint vs dye, etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

athlete3344

10+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2010
Tampa, Florida
I saw this thread:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...our-interior-oem-seats-like-professional.html

And I wanted to get some feedback on painting/dyeing the interior from gray to black.

I would like to put some time and effort into cleaning up my interior over the next few months, and would prefer to do things with quality work. Is the above thread a good source to use or am I better off piecing together the interior from salvage yards/classifieds?

Thanks.

How To Dye/Paint Your Interior - Club DSM Canada

also found this, seems relevant.

If you decide to piece the parts together from a yard, try and find some that are all from the same car. If you mix and match, the parts can end up faded differently and it looks weird when it's all installed.

You'll need to find the Dash (with the passenger airbag), Door panels, and center console.

Also, don't be intimidated by the dash. Unplug your battery for a few hours (the night before you start would be best), then just start taking the interior apart. You need to remove the center console and sides, glovebox, and passenger/driver kickpanels. Then remove the passenger airbag. You might also find it helpful to remove the steering wheel; Take out the driver's airbag (four bolts on the back of the wheel), then the trim around the steering column. Finally, take out the gauge cluster and the dash speakers.

Next, undo all of the bolts and screws that go through the dash. There are a couple behind the Gauges and airbag, plus one behind each dash speaker (use a long extension (or three) and a universal joint to get these.

Lastly, unplug all the things under the dash. There's a lot, but just keep going.

You don't need to take out the HVAC controls.

Remove the dash slowly and with a buddy. Make sure to stop if you feel any resistance, and check to make sure all of the plugs are disconnected.

Swapping the dash can be done in as little as four hours. It's not too bad.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back