The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G How to get my 2g to the 300-400bhp mark.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandonjffrs96

Proven Member
Nov 2, 2019
Bronson, Michigan
I know there’s info all over the web about these cars especially on this site but I would like advice/feedback from others directed towards me. I recently bought a 97 and a half (98) eclipse gsx with 73k original miles with barley any rust. My current goal is to fix what little rust there is and maybe do some upgrades. Not saying that the car is a unicorn but considering it’s a Michigan car that’s basically all stock rust free and has less than 75k miles it kind of is a unicorn. At least to me. Should I leave the car the way it is? Since it is a fun car at the end of the day. Or should I do some upgrades to get close to that 400bhp range? (Nothing too crazy) No link atm but I am looking around for one. It does have a wideband (needs the sensor installed) oil pressure and boost gage. I am currently at 16Ibs on the stock 14b with a boost regulator. Rear posi as well but that’s all I really know about the car. If anyone thinks it’s worth putting some decent parts in without affecting the reliability of the car please tell me your suggestions and or feedback. I’d like to run e85 and at the very least with a 20g. If I do end up dropping some money into it. Money is not an issue but I’m not interested in anything over 500 to the crank. Ps the afr is actually reading 14:8 not 4:8. The 1 doesn’t show on camera.

Attachments

• 936B6B04-D22F-447B-86DD-46F70B24E7B6.png
    936B6B04-D22F-447B-86DD-46F70B24E7B6.png
    351.3 KB · Views: 84
  • AAE081D6-C1D3-4CFD-A5CE-43BD402F2D7F.jpeg
    AAE081D6-C1D3-4CFD-A5CE-43BD402F2D7F.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 86
  • C56B9417-A441-47B6-BD88-C54E76E3644F.jpeg
    C56B9417-A441-47B6-BD88-C54E76E3644F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 102
  • CE35A828-9586-47A9-9FE5-C205F0F49097.jpeg
    CE35A828-9586-47A9-9FE5-C205F0F49097.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 87
  • AE05D796-B894-4063-9237-5D187AD8FFE2.jpeg
    AE05D796-B894-4063-9237-5D187AD8FFE2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • FD1A7206-2DC7-42DF-99C2-E285B74A5324.jpeg
    FD1A7206-2DC7-42DF-99C2-E285B74A5324.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 97
  • BF05DA26-6375-4EFD-B99D-E74CB0F61961.jpeg
    BF05DA26-6375-4EFD-B99D-E74CB0F61961.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
  • 18FDDB25-8321-4A14-9C64-701446F18603.jpeg
    18FDDB25-8321-4A14-9C64-701446F18603.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 124
  • 11FE0E0B-9340-4538-92E3-3991E40A6C29.jpeg
    11FE0E0B-9340-4538-92E3-3991E40A6C29.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • 06B48501-FB5E-4595-94DA-A4789659D48F.jpeg
    06B48501-FB5E-4595-94DA-A4789659D48F.jpeg
    846 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I guess you took a step in the right direction coming here. Enjoy the car and learning man. Ups and downs await. :)

My advice, being a few years with the DSM’s:
*The racing community here has —>S E R I O U S <— depth.
I would tastefully mod, but not go overboard. Most the DSM’s do not come with the RWD tax. Your rate of return is MUCH lower. Outside of really getting into racing, and outside of being a diehard DSM’er, I would tread lighter on dumping money into the car.
Alas, the world’s your oyster though man.

Before anything I would do all the regular maintenance. Timing belt if you don't know exactly when it was last done, fluid change for the engine and driveline, worn bushings and mounts tc etc. Then mod 1, in my mind, is ecmlink. Everything after that will be made so much easier.

Good luck man. This forum is full of information for you and be sure to post specific questions you can't find the answers to as there are more than a few DSM experts to help you out.

I know there’s info all over the web about these cars especially on this site but I would like advice/feedback from others directed towards me. I recently bought a 97 and a half (98) eclipse gsx with 73k original miles with barley any rust. My current goal is to fix what little rust there is and maybe do some upgrades. Not saying that the car is a unicorn but considering it’s a Michigan car that’s basically all stock rust free and has less than 75k miles it kind of is a unicorn. At least to me. Should I leave the car the way it is? Since it is a fun car at the end of the day. Or should I do some upgrades to get close to that 400bhp range? (Nothing too crazy) No link atm but I am looking around for one. It does have a wideband (needs the sensor installed) oil pressure and boost gage. I am currently at 16Ibs on the stock 14b with a boost regulator. Rear posi as well but that’s all I really know about the car. If anyone thinks it’s worth putting some decent parts in without affecting the reliability of the car please tell me your suggestions and or feedback. I’d like to run e85 and at the very least with a 20g. If I do end up dropping some money into it. Money is not an issue but I’m not interested in anything over 500 to the crank. Ps the afr is actually reading 14:8 not 4:8. The 1 doesn’t show on camera.

Just FYI, I do have a DSM link that I will be selling soon. As far as I know it's the latest version, fully updated, everything.....I only drove the car a few times before taking it to a friends shop to be rebuilt how I want it so I'll just have to double check and make sure it's the latest version. I decided to go with a stand alone system so I won't be needing it anymore. I've also got some other parts that I decided to replace/upgrade like a GX35 turbo in good condition, only I'm not sure if I'm gonna sell that quite yet cause I'm considering putting it on my 2016 Tundra TRD Pro along with the intercooler, but I've got a tubular exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe and catback......one of the two is a Greddy, I can't remember which one. I've got a few other things too.....just can't think of them off the top of my head right now.....I've got way too much crap going on and I can hardly think straight haha! My friend who's building the car for the most part knows a lot more than I do, or I should say than I can remember, but if you're interested in anything just let me know! It's all already sellable, I just haven't had the time to go through the parts and take stock of everything I have for sale and post them. It will happen eventually! But like I said, if you're interested in anything, let me know and I'll see what it's going for and give you a slightly better than fair price!

I like everything Vegas Smith said, the pump and injectors are bigger than i run, but you did say e85 so that sounds perfect, I would recommend ARP head studs, they are cheap, very easy to install if you do them one at a time, and give you a piece of mind, I feel my head gasket would have already gone without them.
I just hit close to 400 (378) a couple months ago, and I'm very happy with it, it took about 2 years of fixing it then modding/tuning with link, and around 12k including the cost of the car, (but probably 40% of that was not towards power)
But the busted knuckles were definitely worth it, these cars are awesome!!!

Just FYI, I do have a DSM link that I will be selling soon. As far as I know it's the latest version, fully updated, everything.....I only drove the car a few times before taking it to a friends shop to be rebuilt how I want it so I'll just have to double check and make sure it's the latest version. I decided to go with a stand alone system so I won't be needing it anymore. I've also got some other parts that I decided to replace/upgrade like a GX35 turbo in good condition, only I'm not sure if I'm gonna sell that quite yet cause I'm considering putting it on my 2016 Tundra TRD Pro along with the intercooler, but I've got a tubular exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe and catback......one of the two is a Greddy, I can't remember which one. I've got a few other things too.....just can't think of them off the top of my head right now.....I've got way too much crap going on and I can hardly think straight haha! My friend who's building the car for the most part knows a lot more than I do, or I should say than I can remember, but if you're interested in anything just let me know! It's all already sellable, I just haven't had the time to go through the parts and take stock of everything I have for sale and post them. It will happen eventually! But like I said, if you're interested in anything, let me know and I'll see what it's going for and give you a slightly better than fair price!
Well I’m definitely interested in a link but I’d also consider some other things. Just pm me or send me a web link to the items. Thank you

Ok cool, just give me a few days to get a list of everything together and also think of fair prices and then I'll send you a PM or a link if I get the parts posted. I've got a ridiculous amount of things going on but I'll try to get this stuff done fairly soon!

Ok cool, just give me a few days to get a list of everything together and also think of fair prices and then I'll send you a PM or a link if I get the parts posted. I've got a ridiculous amount of things going on but I'll try to get this stuff done fairly soon!
Still selling ? I'm searching for dsm link for my 89 mirage turbo

I don't have to do that either. Since I own a 2018 sti, 2009 civic Si, 99 Gst , and an 2003 Evo. So I guess I have all the basics covered. All modded and tuned. And why everything I have lasts and is worse top dollar because I know a thing or two on how to do things proper and hold value

Out of curiosity, why would you build the bottom end for such low power levels? These engines have proven to handle 500+ WHP over and over and over. I get the whole piece of mine thing, but I feel the money could be spent elsewhere to make power

Out of curiosity, why would you build the bottom end for such low power levels? These engines have proven to handle 500+ WHP over and over and over. I get the whole piece of mine thing, but I feel the money could be spent elsewhere to make power

The 6-bolt, maybe. I wouldn't trust the 7-bolt to last forever at 300-400 (especially if it's making a lot of torque), and it's more fun when you can romp on it without fear of breaking anything. The 7-bolt would fail pretty quickly at 500.

Still selling ? I'm searching for dsm link for my 89 mirage turbo
unfortunately I've already sold the DSM Link, sorry man. I do have other things though, Intake and exhaust manifolds, AWD stock sway bars (not sure if they would fit on the Mirage or not), just let me know if there are other things you're looking for and I'll let you know if I have them or not!

Not to pick sides but I think a big reason dsm's got the reputation of being completely unreliable is because alot of people build the bare minimum they can get away with as far as supporting mods.

Trust me i have wasted so many thousands of dollars buying parts just to have to rebuy the same part because I upped power or the build changed. If i could do it all over again I would say build it for 800hp and run it at 400 and you won't be broken down on the side of the road all the time like the majority of us

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back