The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

How much power has your XTD stage 4 clutch held?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funfettie

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2011
Menomonie, Wisconsin
Wondering how much power/torque people have made on this clutch? I see a lot of people in the 400whp range,but Im shooting for 600whp. My local shop (MAperformance) said to run an ACT 2600lb PP and a 6 puck spring disk which I have had in the car for 2 years now, but I have always had issues shifting at higher RPM's with this clutch and I keep reading great things about the XTD stage4 unsprung setup.

Anyone have HP numbers? thoughts?
Thanks

~Funfettie~

I just made 579 fwdhp but it starting to let go.

Just throwing this out there. I own this clutch as well and from the seller listing its rated for" up to 465hp"
So I guess anything over that is bonus LOL.

XTD is an ebay clutch and that is what you will get, ebay quality. If you were experiencing problems shifting at high RPM your clutch is likely dragging.

I think its funny how many responses there are in this tread that say the clutch is of good quality, and then you post this... How many other "eBay" clutches can hold upwards of 500hp?

FWIW I reluctantly put one of these cheap clutch/flywheel combos in a local's car and it wouldn't even disengage.. ...I tried to warn him ahead of time to not buy an ebay clutch for fear it would come apart..but he was adament about the "great reviews" they get....it just made a crazy screetching/grinding sound... Ended up tearing it back apart and going with a southbend clutch that shifts amazing for a single plate clutch and has no issue holding the power...

Theres plenty of guys out there that haven't had a problem...but this was my experience with it.

FWIW I reluctantly put one of these cheap clutch/flywheel combos in a local's car and it wouldn't even disengage.. ...I tried to warn him ahead of time to not buy an ebay clutch for fear it would come apart..but he was adament about the "great reviews" they get....it just made a crazy screetching/grinding sound... Ended up tearing it back apart and going with a southbend clutch that shifts amazing for a single plate clutch and has no issue holding the power...

Theres plenty of guys out there that haven't had a problem...but this was my experience with it.

I haven't run one of these for about 2 years, and I believe their quality recently has gone downhill.

I think its funny how many responses there are in this tread that say the clutch is of good quality, and then you post this... How many other "eBay" clutches can hold upwards of 500hp?

It doesn't matter if a handful of people in this thread say its a good clutch, it is still an ebay product and the OP needs to be warned that it won't always go his way. I do hope it works out for him, because I hate seeing people getting scammed out of their money over a couple good reviews when there are just as many, if not more, bad reviews.

I swapped my act 2600 out for an xtd stage 4 when I did my awd conversion (after reading a TON of POSITIVE reviews and VERY FEW negative). I'm very happy with it and it is surprisingly very streetable.

:aha:
It doesn't matter if a handful of people in this thread say its a good clutch, it is still an ebay product and the OP needs to be warned that it won't always go his way. I do hope it works out for him, because I hate seeing people getting scammed out of their money over a couple good reviews when there are just as many, if not more, bad reviews.

Ebay doesn't make the clutch kit, XTD does, I haven't had the best luck with my xtd stage 4 unsprung, but its the only thing that can hold ~400hp/torque for under $350.

its not always true that you get what you pay for, act isn't perfect either throwing springs and all. But the price you pay for it suggest's that it should be.

oh and also, you can buy just about every brand of clutch kit on ebay, doesn't make them an "ebay product"

I posted on this similar subject about 2 months ago when the clutch and tranny went out of my newly acquired 99 gsx. I looked at the xtd stage 4 with the white pressure plate (i think thats the highest rated kit) but ended up going with an act 2600 pp and a 6 puck unsprung hub which is rated a little over 500. I had good luck with the act xtss in my neon and decided to go with act again. I would imagine there are at least 2 or 3 if not more act kits sold to every xtd kit, but yet u hear equal horror stories from both. I paid 433 for my kit, and think the extra money was worth the peace of mind when its all said and done :)

Wondering how much power/torque people have made on this clutch? I see a lot of people in the 400whp range,but Im shooting for 600whp. My local shop (MAperformance) said to run an ACT 2600lb PP and a 6 puck spring disk which I have had in the car for 2 years now, but I have always had issues shifting at higher RPM's with this clutch and I keep reading great things about the XTD stage4 unsprung setup.

Anyone have HP numbers? thoughts?
Thanks

~Funfettie~

Hey man, what’s up. So for my first project car at 18 I decided to test out a 2007 Nissan Fairlady Z. I installed dual cold air intakes, Acell fuel injectors, test pipes and custom true dual exhaust, and a 2 step tune. Unfortunately the stock clutch couldn’t handle the 423 WHP the Z was spitting out. I looked up some things, pulled some strings and installed a stage four Clutch kit. Probably the best decision I did. I could feel my stock clutch giving out after about a month of having that done to it. I’ve had my car for 2 months after I installed the stage four and she’s running beautifully. She feels faster in a sense and I would say that installing it was completely worth it. I plan on supercharging my engine soon so hopefully I can get a run on the dyno and get back with you after a month or two later. But for now, that clutch is handling 423 WHP amazingly.

Attachments

• ED78C19A-BF48-4F61-99E5-8FDBD5C5F4E6.jpeg
    ED78C19A-BF48-4F61-99E5-8FDBD5C5F4E6.jpeg
    509.9 KB · Views: 34
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back