The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

HELP, rusted bolts snapped off broken (body panel bolts like the fender)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiki2777

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 9, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
I had to take off my front bumper and fender, but some of the bolts are so rusted that they are snapping off and breaking. How do I fix this/get them out. Also, how do I prevent this shit from happening in the future?!?:barf:

You can soak them with penetrating oil and weld a washer and nut to them or just drill them out. Use coated bolts if you don't want them to rust.

In trying to get them out lots of PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil. If the bolt turns, turn it 1/4 turn, more penetrating oil, tighten, wait, repeat hoping to get it out cleanly. the slowly moving it in and out may keep the bolt from snapping.

If it comes out use anti-seize on the bolt when you put it back. Consider using a new bolt so the head is less deformed from rust.

If the bolt breaks your are stuck with drilling it out.

In trying to get them out lots of PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil. If the bolt turns, turn it 1/4 turn, more penetrating oil, tighten, wait, repeat hoping to get it out cleanly. the slowly moving it in and out may keep the bolt from snapping.

If it comes out use anti-seize on the bolt when you put it back. Consider using a new bolt so the head is less deformed from rust.

If the bolt breaks your are stuck with drilling it out.

what he said ^^^^^^

if the bolt breaks you can go to your local hardware store and pick up a set screw extactor and drill the pieces out

With a lot of bolts that that have the bottom threads still exposed, you can blast them with Penetrating Oil and let them sit a few days to loosen. Then grab the bottom with some good vise grips and try to "tighten" it out backwards. I had a lot of luck with this method when stripping down my front end. I like PB blaster the best it stinks but is very effective.

You can soak them with penetrating oil and weld a washer and nut to them or just drill them out. Use coated bolts if you don't want them to rust.

Coated bolts you say.F me.

I've been using hardware store crap bolts for years.

Coated bolts.Where the hell have you been the last 6 years.:banghead:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back