The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Harsh rattle after timing belt job

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetdsmpwr

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Canton, Michigan
Just finished doing a timing belt job, which included taking the head off to install new cams, valve-springs, and lifters, on my 99 Eclipse GSX. After my buddy and I finished, I drove 5 miles back to my house. Along the way, a very harsh rattle started to develop that I could feel in the steering wheel. It got worse when I turned right, which makes me think it has something to do with the left wheel, which was removed to do the timing belt job(as you guys know). I checked to make sure the lugs were tight, but they were all torqued down properly by my buddy. This leaves me stumped. Anyone have any ideas? Any feedback is appreciated.

Do you have aftermarket wheels that require a plastic hub centering ring that may of been left off?

I dont, but I know its a pain to get the rim centered right if you do not have one on when installing a rim that requires it. Its a plastic ring that goes over the hub (ring around the axle nut).

Maybe double check the timing covers to make sure that they were torqued down properly. If you did any exhaust work check the heat shields too. Also, did you replace the timing tensioner arm/bracket (not referring to the hydraulic auto tensioner)? If not, did you examine it for wear at the spot that the top of the auto tensioner rod contacts it? Excessive wear will look like a divet at that spot.

You may be right about it coming from the suspension but since it started right after the t-belt work I would look at these too.

Maybe double check the timing covers to make sure that they were torqued down properly. If you did any exhaust work check the heat shields too. Also, did you replace the timing tensioner arm/bracket (not referring to the hydraulic auto tensioner)? If not, did you examine it for wear at the spot that the top of the auto tensioner rod contacts it? Excessive wear will look like a divet at that spot.

You may be right about it coming from the suspension but since it started right after the t-belt work I would look at these too.

I'm having the car checked out by my mechanic Tuesday, so I'll let him know of these possibilities.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back