The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Timing Belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostmaniac

15+ Year Contributor
May 19, 2005
Us of A, Georgia
Is a kevlar timing belt neccesary? Or can I run a stock belt,please I need all the info I need bc this is the last part of my build up and I dont want everything to get damaged from a belt breaking. Thanks

I should have somewhere around 500 to the wheels and I'm not gonna run past 8000rpm

The kevlar belt might be worthwhile if you really think you're going to be driving this car and that engine for more than fifty thousand miles. But even at that, I don't know of a kevlar timing shaft belt, and I doubt the water pump will go 70K.

I've used Gates timing belts for many years and have had no problems. I would however recommend replacing the idlers, the tensioner and for sure, the water pump. Just to cover your butt

Old mitsu tech: where can I get one of those gates timing belts? Thanks for the help guys!

Sorry for the long reply. I tend to get lost navigating posts. O'Reilly auto parts here in the midwest has them. I can't imagine you not being able to access them. Sometimes they are manufactured by Gates under other names. Just ask where you purchase your parts that you prefer a Gates belt. One thing for sure, use the best belt you can get. No cheapies here. Good Luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back