The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Car has been sitting a long time. Should I change the timing belt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imback

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 8, 2006
Long island, New_York
My car has been of the road for awhile. Almost 2 years but i am getting it back on the road. I did all the things i was told to start it up. taking out the old gas and a tune up and fresh oil and what not. Question my car had the timing belt done at 55K and it's only 88K. Should i be worried about it? :beatentodeath: Sorry! i searched

Mileage wise, your ok. The thing I would look out for is dry-rot. I'd start and run it for a bit, then shutdown and inspect for cracking/peeling on the belt.

dave

The threat to the belt is that the same few teeth have been taking the stress of the cam sprockets and crank sprocket for the whole time the car's been parked, and it's been kept bent at the same places.
You'll be ahead to replace one that's been parked that long.

I would replace it also if it were me. Cheap insurance and also piece of mind from it sitting wrapped around the pully's in the same spot for so long.

I would definitely recommend replacing it from first-hand experience. It happened to my brother's car after his sat for like a year, car didn't go a mile before the timing belt snapped. It's a risk not worth taking, replace the belt now and it will save you a lot of time, money, and frustration in the long run.

After you get done checking over the timing belt after you start it, check all the gaskets that you can for any fluid/ compression leaks. When a car sits like that without being ran, the gaskets break down.

I got my car with 35,000 miles on it and its a 95gsx, I don't think the timing belt has been changed and the last time it was driven was in 00. Do you think I need to change my timing belt or is the material strong enough to stand the test of time. by the way everything else has been changed .

You DEFINITELY need to change the timing belt. After sitting for 8 years the belt will become very weak because it has been resting on the same teeth on the cams and crank. My brother's timing belt snapped on his car and it was sitting for like two years. This is not a risk worth taking, replace it now and have some piece of mind.

Any car that old and sitting that long can be expected to have dried out and brittle rubber parts. While replacing that timing belt also replace the accessory belts.

The radiator hoses and heater hoses are cheap insurance.

A Larson hose kit would add a little bling under the hood while replacing the olde vacuum hoses.

I want to replace everything because im due for a timing belt change im going with the greddy timing belt but what else could I change while its off...ie water pump, oil pump, tensioner, acc. belts, what else am I missing I want to do all at once. Thanks

I want to replace everything because im due for a timing belt change im going with the greddy timing belt but what else could I change while its off...ie water pump, oil pump, tensioner, acc. belts, what else am I missing I want to do all at once. Thanks

At 120,000 miles I replaced:
Timing belt
Balance shaft belt
All accessory belts
Timing belt tensioner
Idler pulley
Water pump

All of these items are offered as kits by some DSM vendors.

What about oil pump I got 140k?

I’ve never seen a recommendation to replace the oil pump as regular maintenance.

For what it’s worth, I replaced my oil pump in an abundance of caution at 183,000 miles as part of a stroker conversion project.

Is it hard to change? Is it in that location when doing the t belt?

Well im not going to change it if I plan on selling it after im done..

I'd replace the timing belt, balance shaft belt, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, hyd. tensioner, put a new gasket on the lower timing belt cover and don't forget to reset your timing !

my car has sat for the past 2.5 - 3 years the timing belt was replaced when the new new motor went in 1000 miles ago and im going to change mine. just cheap insurance rather waste my money on a belt then finding out it was bad by having a few bent valves and some nice holes in the tops of my pistons but hey thats just me LOL

OE belt is very good, your choice really. If you think it is worth paying for Greddy or HK$, go for it.

What do you think about the rest of the kit from ebay?

well if you were to go off of there seller rating they sold over 3350 item and have a 99.9 percent seller rating so they cant be to bad. if you do buy it keep us updated though.

Chris you know where i work stop in or call down tomm after 1pm ill see if i can get you a good deal on a whole kit

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back