The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Gas Gauge constantly lowers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkiller_666

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 19, 2008
Salina, Kansas
I ran out of gas today. Filled her back up and drove her home. Noticed my gas gauge instead of going up, went all the way to the bottom. About 1/8th under E. So i took the gauge face off, moved the needle back to 1/4 seeming how i put 20$ in. It dropped all they way to the bottom again. So i moved it all the way above F and it dropped all they way to the bottom again........
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Any suggestions?

First make sure your dash gauge is working by grounding the solid yellow sensor signal wire on the driver's side sensor. With key ON, the dash gauge should then read full.

If gauge is ok then it's probably an open circuit sensor (1 of the 2 fuel level sensors). You can tell by just unplugging them and measuring their resistance. It should be between 2-50 ohms drivers side and 2-57 ohms passenger side. An infinite resistance is an open circuit sensor and it needs replacing. A stuck float is least likely (if your dash gauge is ok) because in order to read empty, both floats would have to be stuck in the down position. If either float is not stuck down (and they are working) then the gauge will read somewhere above empty.

In fact an open circuit sensor is the most likely thing so do the resistance measurement of the sensors immediately after you test the dash gauge.

If all this is ok then it's either the passenger side fuel sensor's ground wire has lost it's connection to ground, or the wire between the 2 fuel sensors (driver and passenger side) is broken, or the drivers side fuel sensor's signal wire is broken between the sensor and the dash gauge.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back