The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Fuel pump stays on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enasnitsi

15+ Year Contributor
May 12, 2004
Mankato, Minnesota
On my 1g my fuel pump comes on and stays on whenever the key is turned to on with the engine off. Not sure what would cause that unless the mpi relay is faulty. Any ideas?

In the on position before trying to start it. Before the pump would turn on when first turning the key to on and than the pump would stop until the engine starts cranking. Now the pump is just always on.

Ummmmm... My pump primes (turns on) when my key is in the on position just before starting. As stated, it "primes" the system up to operating pressure, because when your car shuts off the pressure from the fuel system slowly drops off back in to the tank (hence the fuel return line)

Sounds pretty normal, maybe you just never noticed or the pump got louder because its going out?

And once the pump is on, its on, it will just sit and whine... it doesnt shut off then start, then shut off and start while the car is running or in "on". It is constantly on once you turn the key to on or start it

Ummmmm... My pump primes (turns on) when my key is in the on position just before starting. As stated, it "primes" the system up to operating pressure, because when your car shuts off the pressure from the fuel system slowly drops off back in to the tank (hence the fuel return line)

Sounds pretty normal, maybe you just never noticed or the pump got louder because its going out?

And once the pump is on, its on, it will just sit and whine... it doesnt shut off then start, then shut off and start while the car is running or in "on". It is constantly on once you turn the key to on or start it

That may be how yours is working but that's not how it's designed to work based on the diagrams, tech manual, and observing 1G's and 2G's over the years.

Since the OP is asking about a 1G I won't talk about how 2G's are different. There are threads on the site the cover both and the differences.

On a stock 1G the fuel pump is controlled by on half of the MPI relay and there are two inputs, a signal from the starter circuit and one from the ECU.

The idea is that when you start cranking the engine the starter circuit will turn on the fuel pump and then once the engine started running the ECU will keep the fuel pump running until you stop the engine or something else does.

The starter side is simple, the same 12v signal that drives the starter solenoid drives on of the coils for the relay. When the starter is running the relay is activated power the pump. Stop cranking the starter and the pump stops.

The ECU side is a little different since the ECU switches the ground side of the relay coil not the 12v side. When the ECU sees pulses from the CAS is turns on the fuel pump and once it stops seeing CAS pulses it stops resetting a counter which decrements to 0 after a few seconds and the ECU turns off the pump.

So the first question is which of these two signals are turning the pump on or is the MPI relay borked? Get the multimeter and wiring diagram out and start measuring the voltages at the MPI relay. The rest of the diagnosis follows from there.

I found the problem. Apparently in ecmlink the activate fuel pump was checked. That was making the pump come on at all times. Unchecked that and now it operates properly.

Really glad this thread was here. My car started doing this stuff right after the last time it was brought home on a flatbed.
The ignition was turned on the whole time it was on the flatbed. By the time it got home, the battery voltage was very low, about 5 volts as I remember (I have a volt meter on the dash). I turned the key off. Then turned it back on just to see what would happen. The fuel pump and fans all came on (my fans are switched on and off by the fuel pump circuit). I could not make them shut off - had to disconnect the battery cable. Next time I drove the car, at the end of the drive when turning off the key, the engine kept running until the MPI relay clicked off. That shut off the engine, fans, and fuel pump.

So it was a little freaky and I'm not so sure I had just a plain vanilla version of this problem. But it was the problem. I checked ecu config (live) and sure enough, "activate fuel pump" had somehow come on. Turning that off solved the problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back