The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Brake Light stays on..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'97boostinGST

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2010
Oxnard, California
Recently the brake light or e-brake light constantly stays on and sometimes goes away and then comes back despite the e-brake being off. It doesnt feel like the e-brake is on at all. Is there something thats making contact and making it stay on or something?

I have a similar problem with my brake light where it goes on if the car is cold, usually below freezing. After warming up for a few minutes the light consistently goes off. I've suspected it was the fluid level sensor but I can't see how the cold will affect this. Will investigate further and report back.

I am not sure if any one suggested this yet but check your alternator. My friends e-brake light was on for a while and his battery light came on after a long time. I changed his alternator and they both went away.

It got really cold and my brake light stayed on when ebrake was down. There's a rubber cap that's on the inside of the brake reservoir cap. When you take the cap off, the suction pulls that rubber cap out. Make sure fluid is at the full mark. When reinstalling the cap, make sure the rubber cap is inside the cap, not sticking out. It seats into the cap so if it's out, it'll push the fluid out when screwing it back on. If that doesn't work, there a switch under the ebrake you can check to see if it works. Remove the screw and unplug from connector and check continuity. It works just like the door switch. That circuit is completed to ground when the ebrake is up triggering the light. Hope this helps someone.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back