The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Forward facing filter "Important Info"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see that this thread has gone to the buzzards! whoo:cool: LOl

Ya and your getting a reading after the filter on the forward facing. So you change the filter and your reading will change.

LOL! oil flow was certainly different.

Last edited by a moderator:
One could also argue that everyone who does NOT have a FFH and has an aftermarket gauge in the stock sender location, is actually reading their oil pressure in the wrong spot because they do not actually know the oil pressure their engine is recieving POST filter.

Stock is pre filter forward facing is post filter. This is why it appears to have lower pressure when installing the forward housing.

LOL! oil flow was certainly different.

From what to what it was different?

Last edited by a moderator:
Say what you want the mod fixed the low oil pressure at idle with the forward facing filter the head barely was getting oil regardless of temp. plugged the hole head was getting the oil it needed as seen in video plain and simple argue all you want I know first hand the difference it made. your are trolling the thread!

Not trolling one bit. Just trying to make sure that the right information gets out.

And again you don't know that it fixed your problem since you don't have the right data to check against in the first place. Those fancy things called oil pressure gauges with numbers is the only way to tell. The factory gauge has been called on numerous occasions, "Faulty".

Ok my car is down at the moment for a turbo upgrade, I have in my possesion a 90, 91-94 and ffofh. I will log some results of each ofh with a electric oil pressure guage if anyone is interested? I will note also that each one is untouched, for example no clipped springs or porting whatsoever. I will do the ffoh last with and without the relief hole plugged.

edit: actually now that I think about it the results will be different from engine to engine, i.e. I have a cleaned up oil galley and head port mod done. So I will only test the FFOFH with and without the hole plugged. suggestions?

Also I am not here to bash no one, just like some of the others on here I am trying to solidify these finidings. All we need is more (not accusing anyone) mis information on this board.

Ok I'm a noob, I'm reading this thread. What exactly does welding the hole shut do?
Also how many psi difference am I expecting from welding this shut?

Hopefully the noob will be able to sift through the trolling and make a sound decision as to the wisdom of welding the hole to protect his precious engine investment..

You honestly can't anwser that??

Your answer is in post 154. You just like all the other post refuse to read. But at any rate doesn't she looks good with the welded ffofh?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

is anyone suggesting that drilling this hole would be a good idea?

That's exactly what they are suggesting.

She packs a punch also
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

All with a molded ffofh! With good oil pressure and no leaks! A noob will not argue with plugging the hole with these results if I was a noob I wouldn't.

Your answer is in post 154. You just like all the other post refuse to read. But at any rate doesn't she looks good with the welded ffofh?

That's not an anwser and it reflects that your claims are intact inaccurate.

Didn't know it was so hard to anwser those two questions since its so proven and all.

That's not an anwser and it reflects that your claims are intact inaccurate.

Didn't know it was so hard to anwser those two questions since its so proven and all.
You don't like to read I see. We can argue all night I don't mind.

All with a molded ffofh! With good oil pressure and no leaks! A noob will not argue with plugging the hole with these results if I was a noob I wouldn't.

Well you see my time in my sig?? That was done on an engine with a forward facing ofh that's been ported and the hole is still there. I can thank you for pointing that out. But that engine was installed in 2009 and been getting beat down every year since then.

So you can see that running a FFOFH does not in fact blow up your bottom end. If its such a fact as you claim id be on engine number 10 probably by now.

Well you see my time in my sig?? That was done on an engine with a forward facing ofh that's been ported and the hole is still there. I can thank you for pointing that out. But that engine was installed in 2009 and been getting beat down every year since then.

So you can see that running a FFOFH does not in fact blow up your bottom end. If its such a fact as you claim id be on engine number 10 probably by now.

Your time is not that impressive for an awd. May be the hole in the ffofh is holding you back. Signs of a failing short block Imo Lol

This thread is useless without results...

I will be back in a week or two to solidify your findings with factual test, LOL You'll either hate me or love me after. Till then happy boosting everyone...

I will be back in a week or two to solidify your findings with factual test, LOL You'll either hate me or love me after. Till then happy boosting everyone...

If you test it , for a fact I will love you because I know you will find that what is said in post #1 to be scientifically and methodically factual. After the exhausting fight I regret that I didn't get numbers when I had a chance to. Besides I thought I was really enlighning the community on something that they could benefit from.

Ok I'm a noob, I'm reading this thread. What exactly does welding the hole shut do?
Also how many psi difference am I expecting from welding this shut?
First off there is nothing wrong with my motor as it was built with all brandnew parts by Daren of ffwd connection.
Im not trying to be a fan boy here but let me say that when I first primed my motor with the timing belt off and this ffofh filter just installed on the block(pre welded) my friend and I had to look twice as I was spinning the drill on the oil pump nut to make sure that oil was coming through the lifters . It was definitely coming through but at a slower rate and less volume compared to when I had Kels weld the hole for me.

Believe what you guys want but I know there is nothing wrong with my motor. But yes I noticed a difference when I primed the motor again with the welded ofh that alot more oil came out the lifters as well as the oil reaching the head faster compared pre welded.
I had used the same exact oil I had in the motor before taking the ofh off that I sent to Kels.

This is why it seems very reasonable to me about what Kels is saying about welding the hole and I will post my oil pressure as a result once I have the ecm link dialed in.

is anyone suggesting that drilling this hole would be a good idea?

Depends entirely on your situation. Which is the whole reason we're still hashing this out.

First off there is nothing wrong with my motor as it was built with all brandnew parts by Daren of ffwd connection.
Im not trying to be a fan boy here but let me say that when I first primed my motor with the timing belt off and this ffofh filter just installed on the block(pre welded) my friend and I had to look twice as I was spinning the drill on the oil pump nut to make sure that oil was coming through the lifters . It was definitely coming through but at a slower rate and less volume compared to when I had Kels weld the hole for me.

Believe what you guys want but I know there is nothing wrong with my motor. But yes I noticed a difference when I primed the motor again with the welded ofh that alot more oil came out the lifters as well as the oil reaching the head faster compared pre welded.
I had used the same exact oil I had in the motor before taking the ofh off that I sent to Kels.

This is why it seems very reasonable to me about what Kels is saying about welding the hole and I will post my oil pressure as a result once I have the ecm link dialed in.

Oh, you mean this Darren @ FFWD? From page 1:
Hey guys. A customer brought this posting to my attention. Wanted my take on it. Here ya go...

First, Mr Kel, let me say good job for pointing out to the folks about that little pee hole in those Triple Fs...indeed it is there. The NT cars don't have them...the 90 brackets don't have them, and the 91-94 brackets don't have them. Good attention to detail.

But actually that's about where the detail stopped as there wasn't enough of it to surmise a solid conclusion to your investigation. :nono:

There are many factors involved in the reason(s) why you have low oil pressure in your scenario. It certainly isn't everybody's scenario and certainly not over here. Even both your filters in the vid shown were two different brands. That makes a big difference. Also, like another poster had said, having a BSEK and which oil viscosity used are other factors...no...BIG factors.

Basically saying to compare apples to apples here.

We've found that with every race motor that I personally have built over the past 12 years, oil pressure has only been a factor of being on the "high" side...definitely not low. No way Jose. This is plenty of real world usage...lots of pound town...lots of full boogie guys running our brackets. No kaBooms related to low oil pressure...unless of course the guy really wanted to run an oil cooler with the Triple F and a line spit off.

So overall, I think it is somewhat "bad science" by telling people to ditch their Triple Fs simply because your cordless drill and stock gauge says to do so.

Let me also add I'm not here to defend our Triple F sales...I just can't stand to see questionable info passed along. The internet is forever. :barf:

Further, I will not debate this issue...I will not argue this issue. Just letting others know what my own personal experience has been. Nothing more.

As with anyone that knows this shop, all products I sell I use and/or endorse. I don't sell crap...I don't do crap. If there was anything questionable about these brackets we well (or any other part we sell for that matter), then we wouldn't be selling them. Easy peezy.

Aloha and as always, a big special thanks to all of our supporters! You know who you are. :hellyeah:

Depends entirely on your situation. Which is the whole reason we're still hashing this out.

Oh, you mean this Darren @ FFWD? From page 1:
Yep thats him Daren of ffwd and you tell him I posted it !!! I could care less what Daren posted!! Can tell him that too!!

Daren did a great job but it does not mean i have to agree with certain things he says. Its not personal.

PS Landspeed please explain to me WHY with my own eyes along with my good buddy who has been helping put the car together did I witness a difference in oilflow during priming both pre welded and post welded ofh? Please explain? Same oil filter,same oil,same warm temperature outside,please explain that unless you did the same thing with a welded and non welded ffofh. In that case I will shut the hell up.

I will agree that its just unfortunate for the skeptics that Kels did not have a guage installed for all to see but me seeing it in person with my own eyes made itpretty obvious to me some of his findings.

Your time is not that impressive for an awd. May be the hole in the ffofh is holding you back. Signs of a failing short block Imo Lol

I would take what you say more seriously if you didn't make ridiculous statements like this...

Or use acronyms like "LOL" or attach pictures to posts in order to insult another reputable DSMer's intelligence.

You're not setting a very good example for others or showing any intellectual capacity.

That said, I also have a Triple F, no mods to it, built w/ BSE and no oil pressure issues at the head or anywhere for that matter... Readings taken from an actual oil pressure gauge.

Here's the thing - your buddy Kels here never actually ascertained there was a problem.

He just felt in his gut that oil pressure was "too low," based on a sending unit (known to be about as precise as a hand grenade) in a different spot compared to the other OFH, using different filters, etc.

This part is not subject to opinion. That's the situation.

I get wanting to support your friends, but this is doing no one any favors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back