1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

For 650WHP AWD what can we do

Posted by CrazyGSX, Dec 31, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Yeah, there is a lot of pressure variability. I stopped looking at pressure and look at fork position. With the rpm we see the centrifugal force on the fingers is huge. Static holding my pedal on the stop is 700psi, put it on the 2step and it drops to right about 300psi.

Showcar Build 6K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  2. clutchtamer

clutchtamer Proven Member

Joined Apr 29, 2015
    Concrete, Washington
    The only thing I use the Racepak intelli-gauge for is as a ref to change clutch hit settings (fork position), and even then it is at 800rpm to stabilize the centrifugal effect on the readings. I see 440psi peak during a 4800rpm no-prep launch, but only 500psi peak @ 8600rpm on the shift.

Grant

3. jed344

jed344 Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 10, 2008
    Waterville, Iowa
    Learning to slip the clutch correctly has saved me. When I first started building dsm's I killed a stock trans at 350hpish from launching it badly. I have had same stock trans in my car for years and its currently seeing 58lb/min. I am also very aware once I turn it up next summer it will be in the ball park of hurting 3/4 just when boost comes on at 65lb/min+.

1K  26

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. baldeagle727

baldeagle727 Probationary Member

Joined Apr 14, 2013
    san antonio, Texas
    http://www.teamrip.com/ very hard to get hold of, but keep trying or fill out request form on John's website. Do not know if he still does staged builds or just
    rebuilds. I do not know of anyone else who still does DSM. I did a complete drivetrain, transmission, rear diff., awd xref case with evo 1st gear. To the best of
    my knowledge there are no more EVO 1-3 gear sets around. 650 whp is 780 under the hood, in my opinion there is no DSM out there that will last very long with this power.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  5. baldeagle727

baldeagle727 Probationary Member

Joined Apr 14, 2013
    san antonio, Texas
    Thanks for this bit of enlightenment, everything you said is true, when I had TeamRip rebuild stage 1 to stage 2 my entire drive train, John said not to use the clutch that I had planned on, and to use something else. His reasoning I believe was the same as yours. He said as you call mega clutch would cause the transmission to go out a lot sooner. Sometimes the truth hurts but it is necessary. I figure 400 at the wheels which is 480 under the hood is plenty and this drivetrain will last a long time.

6. LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4 Supporting Member

Joined May 21, 2014
    Sydney, Australia

Street Build 469  6

1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4

Street Build 2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  7. thirsty

thirsty Proven Member

Joined Oct 4, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Tim Zimmer... tmzperformance.com

795  0

1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  8. Canadian_CD9A

Canadian_CD9A Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Some "mega" clutches are friendly to the drivetrain, while some of the mid-range clutches can be an absolute disaster. Unsprung puck clutches aren't easy or pleasant to drive and are not kind to synchros, whereas TMZ's line of full-face South Bend clutches would be a lot better all-around. There is a lot more to clutch choice than just a power rating.

GSXbooster likes this.
  9. clutchtamer

Joined Apr 29, 2015
    Concrete, Washington
    You need enough clutch to hold your power at max torque down the track, but that's too much clutch for an efficient launch. You can't just bolt in a clutch and fix that basic problem. The external controller basically acts as an adjustable torque limiter during launch, but can also be used to limit the torque spike after the shifts. Even an expensive adjustable centrifugal assist clutch can be made to work more efficiently by adding an external controller. Bottom line is you can get more power down with an external clutch hit controller than you can without one, not sure why it's so hard to see the benefit in that.

Grant

10. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Funny story, I searched "external clutch hit controller" because I wasn't exactly sure what you meant and this is the first link I clicked:

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/c...it-down-requires-a-little-fabrication.492939/

Street Build 4K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  11. clutchtamer

Joined Apr 29, 2015
    Concrete, Washington
    The $25 DIY method discussed in that thread is far more effective than the $299 Magnus Launch Controller. And unlike the Magnus unit, it also reduces transmission/gear failures after the shifts.

Grant