The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Flyer's 4g63 powered '74 celica

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice update. Have you considered doing any flocking for the interior bits and dash? Usually turns out pretty nice.

I agree it looks great if done right. Think of the soft almost furry texture inside many gloveboxes, or better yet the inside of a glasses case. It a pretty popular thing for people to do on dashes of 280z's.

Only thing is it keeps dirt easy and oil will screw it similarly like suede.

Im not sure if you've mentioned it already or not so sorry if you have. Anyway, how are you planning to wire up the ecu? because Ill be attempting a RWD swap of my own shortly but I'm not 100% on the ECU and wiring. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not sure if you've mentioned it already or not so sorry if you have. Anyway, how are you planning to wire up the ecu? because Ill be attempting a RWD swap of my own shortly but I'm not 100% on the ECU and wiring. thanks.

Wiring will be the same as factory. Minus any transmission sensors. The ECU will operate just as it does in a normal eclipse or talon. The only thing I'll have to customize really is wiring it to the ignition. Other than that it's a stock harness.

I will be modifying it to my needs. I won't have p/s or a/c. No emissions or any of that. So the wires that are not needed for my swap will be removed accordingly.

I will also be doing a full wire tuck at some point. My focus now is to get it driving.

This is what I need off the top off my head.

External fuel pump
ECM link
Timing belt idler pulley bracket thing (the part the tensioner actually presses against)
Fuel lines
Driveshaft
Ignition system
Radiator (mishimoto)
Charge piping
BOV
Pedal box
Steering wheel
Flywheel
Alternator relocate kit
Thermostat housing

Pretty sure there are some little minor things I need too. But as far as I can think the above parts will allow me to drive the car. I'm not worried about all my gauges and turbo timer and such. That can wait.

oh thats what I'm thinking too. but are you using all of the interior harness for an eclipse for the celica too or just the engine harness from the eclipse. I won't be caring about the stock gauges on my swap either (ill be using aftermarket ones), but i do plan on using DSMlink and I'm not sure ill have to swap over the whole harness or not (its been awhile since I've looked at DSM wire harnesses LOL)

Do you plan on using DSMlink also? if so how are you planning on hooking it up?

Edit: didn't see that you plan on running ecm link. is the connection for that on the engine harness or interior harness?

oh thats what I'm thinking too. but are you using all of the interior harness for an eclipse for the celica too or just the engine harness from the eclipse. I won't be caring about the stock gauges on my swap either (ill be using aftermarket ones), but i do plan on using DSMlink and I'm not sure ill have to swap over the whole harness or not (its been awhile since I've looked at DSM wire harnesses LOL)

Do you plan on using DSMlink also? if so how are you planning on hooking it up?

I will not be using any factory dsm interior harness. No body harness. No lighting, no gauges.

I will customize the engine harness and the DTC connector to work for my car so I can have the connections. Also so I can have an l.e.d in place for a check engine light. All of my gauges will be aftermarket though

Dsm link will be a part of the ECU, so running Dsm link will be no different than in a Dsm. All that is required is the engine harness, since that is all it operates.

I will, however, have to make a harness for my gauges, switches, stereo and lighting. Nothing from my car will work in the manor that I wish.

I will not be using any factory dsm interior harness. No body harness. No lighting, no gauges.

I will customize the engine harness and the DTC connector to work for my car so I can have the connections. Also so I can have an l.e.d in place for a check engine light. All of my gauges will be aftermarket though

Dsm link will be a part of the ECU, so running Dsm link will be no different than in a Dsm. All that is required is the engine harness, since that is all it operates.

I will, however, have to make a harness for my gauges, switches, stereo and lighting. Nothing from my car will work in the manor that I wish.

oh, i think i understand now. thank you so much for the input. but one last question, on my last DSM i never got the chance to run DSMlink so i don't know where to hook up the cable to. does it hook up directly to the ecu once you have the ecu socketed?

Ill be watching this build as it finishes up :hellyeah:. very nice build! i never really knew about old celicas but damn that thing looks nice :D

For the interior harness have you looked into painless wirings universal fuse block and harness.

I am thinking about going this route in my build to get rid of all the unneeded stock wiring.

oh, i think i understand now. thank you so much for the input. but one last question, on my last DSM i never got the chance to run DSMlink so i don't know where to hook up the cable to. does it hook up directly to the ecu once you have the ecu socketed?

Ill be watching this build as it finishes up :hellyeah:. very nice build! i never really knew about old celicas but damn that thing looks nice :D

You connect to Dsm link via the SLEC connector. The same connector you use to retrieve DTC codes and such.

And thanks man! I love it! I'm ready to drive it.

For the interior harness have you looked into painless wirings universal fuse block and harness.

I am thinking about going this route in my build to get rid of all the unneeded stock wiring.

I will be using some form of fuse block. However, all the wiring and such I'll do myself. I will be building a circuit board of types to control everything. That way I can decide what happens to what component when I desire. Pretty much a mix of transistors and relays and all that.

You connect to Dsm link via the SLEC connector. The same connector you use to retrieve DTC codes and such.

And thanks man! I love it! I'm ready to drive it.

Haha sorry to bug so much but i can't find any pictures of a full engine harness for a 2g, does the engine harness have the SLEC connector on it? From what i remember i didn't think they were in the same harness??

Haha sorry to bug so much but i can't find any pictures of a full engine harness for a 2g, does the engine harness have the SLEC connector on it? From what i remember i didn't think they were in the same harness??

I'm sorry. I miss typed that. DLC* not SLEC Lol.

It may be hard to find a picture. The harness does go to the connector. It is a 16 pin connector. I guess it depends on where you buy it from if you have the connector or not. Mine does not so I will have to get one.

I'm sorry. I miss typed that. DLC* not SLEC Lol.

It may be hard to find a picture. The harness does go to the connector. It is a 16 pin connector. I guess it depends on where you buy it from if you have the connector or not. Mine does not so I will have to get one.

I know the connection you're talking about (the one to bring up code, correct?).

Please try to include some pictures when you're doing the wiring??:D

I know the connection you're talking about (the one to bring up code, correct?).

Please try to include some pictures when you're doing the wiring??:D

Yup. The one for the codes. It is connected to the PCM for you to control when you get Dsm link.

I will definitely include pictures. Wiring will be the very last step. I want to have all the hard parts in place so then all I have to do is throw in the harness and drive away :p

Spot me 2 grand and she'll be done within a month LOL.

haha if I had two grand I would.
For your bov are you just going with a stock one or looking at a aftermarket one? because I know I have a couple stock 1g bov's laying around some where, I'll see what other parts on your list I have to.

haha if I had two grand I would.
For your bov are you just going with a stock one or looking at a aftermarket one? because I know I have a couple stock 1g bov's laying around some where, I'll see what other parts on your list I have to.

Lol. I'm glad to know you would be so gracious.

As far as any parts go. I could care less what they are. I can make most anything work. Stock BOV would be fine. I'm not looking to spend on high dollar stuff until later one. There is no need to buy a $250 bov when a $20 or free one will work for now.

My biggest thing right now is flywheel, clutch disc (which has to be a certain diameter and spline count) and the timing tensioner bracket thingy.

I would like to be driving the car before the end of summer. Should be possible since I should be able to go full time work once I graduate April 12th :D

Yup. The one for the codes. It is connected to the PCM for you to control when you get Dsm link.

I will definitely include pictures. Wiring will be the very last step. I want to have all the hard parts in place so then all I have to do is throw in the harness and drive away :p

Sounds good :thumb: keep us posted man :hellyeah:

I'll definitely do my best to keep this updated. It's going to be slow at least until April. Unless I win the lotto or get a substantial check in the mail LOL.

Lol. I'm glad to know you would be so gracious.

As far as any parts go. I could care less what they are. I can make most anything work. Stock BOV would be fine. I'm not looking to spend on high dollar stuff until later one. There is no need to buy a $250 bov when a $20 or free one will work for now.

My biggest thing right now is flywheel, clutch disc (which has to be a certain diameter and spline count) and the timing tensioner bracket thingy.

I would like to be driving the car before the end of summer. Should be possible since I should be able to go full time work once I graduate April 12th :D

Lol I'm a very kind person not going to lie, hell I fix peoples cars and rebuild sled motors for free!

Well I'll scrounge around and see if I can find some of the stuff your looking for, I know I don't have a 7 bolt fly wheel. I cant remember if the tension-er your looking for is the same on both 6 and 7 bolts or not, if it is I know I could get ya one of those asap to. What do you mean by pedal box? for your ignition i take it your looking for coil packs and a power transistor?

I'll try and help you achieve your April 12 goal! :thumb:

Lol I'm a very kind person not going to lie, hell I fix peoples cars and rebuild sled motors for free!

Well I'll scrounge around and see if I can find some of the stuff your looking for, I know I don't have a 7 bolt fly wheel. I cant remember if the tension-er your looking for is the same on both 6 and 7 bolts or not, if it is I know I could get ya one of those asap to. What do you mean by pedal box? for your ignition i take it your looking for coil packs and a power transistor?

I'll try and help you achieve your April 12 goal! :thumb:

That's good man! The world needs more people like that LOL.

And the tensioner thingy, I don't even know the actually name. I have the actual hydraulic tensioner, and the idler pulley, but it's the bracket thing the Lilly bolts to. If that makes sense.

Pedal box being that I will be making a pedal set up. You may have seen the tilton or willwood pedal boxes. It's like a universal pedal assembly. Throttle, brake, and clutch. I will be using dual brake master cylinders with a bias bar for front-rear braking ratio adjustments.

Tiltons box is like $450 plus almost $300 for the master cylinders. I can build one for about $250 or so.

I appreciate the help my friend! :)

If anyone happens to come across the bracket the timing belt idler pulley attaches to, the piece the actual tensioner presses against, please let me know ASAP. I need it to install the timing kit.

Thanks

If anyone happens to come across the bracket the timing belt idler pulley attaches to, the piece the actual tensioner presses against, please let me know ASAP. I need it to install the timing kit.

Thanks

Something similar to this bracket?

3125af1b.jpg

Thanks

Attachments

• 3125af1b.jpg
    3125af1b.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 47
Something similar to this bracket?

3125af1b.jpg

Thanks

That looks like it at least. I can't say exactly. You guys will know more about it than I will. I haven't done a timing kit on a 4g before. I ordered a kit but realized I need that bracket.

Attachments

• 3125af1b.jpg
    3125af1b.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 46
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back