The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Flyer's 4g63 powered '74 celica

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSIflyer95

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 24, 2011
Columbia, South_Carolina
Hello my friends. My name is Weston, 21 years old, been around cars and projects for awhile now. I have had my hands in a few DSM's. I had my own 95 Talon TSi that I built and tuned myself. I also had my hands in a few other cars that I built or modified in some way.

Anyways, here I am with my newest toy to build up! Unfortunately this will be a rather slow build as I am a full time student and income is very limited, but I will do my best to update as I go along.

The following pictures and such are from another forum I am a member on, I figured I will just copy and past to catch you all up to date!

Without further ado. a 1974 Toyota Celica ST! 7 bolt 4G63 from a 98 gst eclipse. I know crank walk was an issue with some 7 bolts, this isn't a concern for me as I will be fully building the motor at one point.

ase6y5y6.jpg

4uhyjeby.jpg

eradazeq.jpg

ru2edyma.jpg

y9y8yru5.jpg

The rust I spoke of. There are spots like these around the roof line. This is probably the worst. I believe the car used to be a vinyl top, and the was from water collection and such.

uta3y2us.jpg

Well, I was able to come home for the weekend to work on the car a little bit!!! First thing I did was get to work on removing the bumper brick things front and rear. I personally like it much better now.

semu6yva.jpg

dypa6u5u.jpg

Amazon came through for me. I was able to get one day shipping on these ladies for like 7 bucks so I didn't say no.

tu2ybu5e.jpg

hanu7u9u.jpg

I was able to get both the rear shocks installed. Easy, easy job.

aqy6a3y7.jpg

jaqu4a4e.jpg

All in all I can't complain. I did have a mishap whilst changing my oil, I didn't realize the gasket had come off, so I checked later and there was a puddle under the car, tried to remove the drain plug and recycle the new oil I had just put in, and, well, spilled about 1 1/2 qts on the ground haha. So first thing tomorrow is to find a gasket that will work.

I'm more in love with my car now! The more I make her mine the more I like it.

Here is what I did with the rust that was on the roof. Most of it has been cleaned up. Still have some to go.

yry9e2ab.jpg

va7uvy2y.jpg

Needs to be painted but it's smooth and solid now. Much better than before.

And I got a new toy!!!

yvu8eda2.jpg

Well, here it is. The new heart for the celica. This is going to be a very slow process as it will be rather pricey, but, it will eventually get there.

Without further await, Mitsubishi 4g63 2.0L turbo engine.

ase9ary7.jpg

a5umajy7.jpg

Last edited:
First off: out with the old to make room for the new.

zysy5ede.jpg

ute6ahud.jpg

I don't have the time to try to post all this stuff for sale an my parents need the space, so, I loade all the random car parts into the truck and I'm just going to take it all to the scrap yard. I probably won't get but $100 bucks for all of it. But there is close to 1,000 lbs of stuff in there.

29cd99b1.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics. Cell phone covered in grease doesn't turn out so well LOL.

I worked a little longer today and was able to clean up the engine bay a little. Tomorrow I will be pressure washing it to get the the stuck gunk off.

8f3cd461.jpg

Well, I have a pretty decent update to share with you friends!

I was able to pick up a transmission on the lows from the junkyard! I was very fortunate that they actually had the one I needed.

This is how it looked when I bought it.

15ff57b2.jpg

After some cleaning.

05131319.jpg

I then decided to pull out the rear end and clean it up, along with some of the other suspension components. While I was under there I also cut the coil springs to lower the car a little. I cut 1 1/3 coils out of it.

Before.

57dda9bb.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt95/SVTflyer03/3fcc3db8.jpg[/im

After. Also re-installed

[ATTACH=full]488788[/ATTACH]

And how the rear sits now. The car has practically no weight in it. The motor and trans are still out of it, I suspect it will sit a tad lower with some weight in it.

[ATTACH=full]488789[/ATTACH]

I really need to invest in a better camera lol.

I was able to bolt the transmission to the block. There is no clutch or flywheel yet but that will come in due time. The transmission fits well, minus one bolt hole doesn't line up. No big deal though. And this is the trans from a mighty max. I know it isn't the strongest, but I'm poor lol. And this is all I can do right now.

[ATTACH=full]488790[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]488791[/ATTACH]

Thank you guys for the comments! I love this car! It is rather difficult to work with because nothing is made for it. It is primarily custom made stuff. It's a little harder to work around. I still enjoy it though!! My goal in the next 2 weeks is to get the trans and motor mounted in the car. It doesn't have to run, drive, or even be wired. Just bolted to mounts.

[COLOR="Red"][B]9/20/12[/B][/COLOR]

I've been able to make a little headway with the build the past couple of weeks. Starting lining up the motor and trans and made templates using oil board for the motor mounts. I should have the steel I will be using in a week or so. Then I'll weld it all up and drop in the motor. Just some hot rolled, high tensile strength steel with a semi solid poly puck between mounts.

[ATTACH=full]488792[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]488793[/ATTACH]

I was able to come into a little bit of money, so I had some spare change and found this pretty lady for a steal on this forum!

[ATTACH=full]488794[/ATTACH]

Over the next couple of months I should be able to accumulate more parts that I need. Mainly just motor essentials. Timing Kit, water pump, starter etc. etc.

Attachments

• 4232e18b.gif
    4232e18b.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 1a31631d.gif
    1a31631d.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 5a71425d.gif
    5a71425d.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 542c514f.gif
    542c514f.gif
  • 121FCA08-48B4-4795-A743-DCAAC7D0058D-6724-00000746A54A142D_zpsb20b2253.jpg
    121FCA08-48B4-4795-A743-DCAAC7D0058D-6724-00000746A54A142D_zpsb20b2253.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 158B124C-DF7D-4E67-B2EE-41A1EEA15693-6724-000007469B979CF4_zpseab8399c.gif
    158B124C-DF7D-4E67-B2EE-41A1EEA15693-6724-000007469B979CF4_zpseab8399c.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 18A2D3D2-38BA-4BCF-8B8C-ED8B54768BA0-6724-0000074694337DD1_zpsc75ff898.gif
    18A2D3D2-38BA-4BCF-8B8C-ED8B54768BA0-6724-0000074694337DD1_zpsc75ff898.gif
Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely full us in on what your goals and plans are for the car, powerwise. I have always enjoyed these vintage imports.

I will definitely do my best to keep this updated. It won't be very busy because I'm a full time student and lack the income to make this happen quickly.

For right now my power goals are: get it running and driving. Stock power, less than, I don't care yet. Tentatively I plan to sit about 300rwhp. Far on down the road, I want to be able to make 650rwhp for no reason other than to say I can. The car only weighs 1900 pounds from factory, more than 400whp won't be useable haha.

very nice celica man, my favorite toyota by far. See you have mk2 supra rims on it, look better on your celica then they do on my supra!
Wondering why you went with the mighty max tranny? A w58 or r154 would have been a better choice in my opinion, would be more flex-able power wise then the mighty max tran.
But either way, your doing a hell of a good job, I'm excited to see your finished product! :thumb:

very nice celica man, my favorite toyota by far. See you have mk2 supra rims on it, look better on your celica then they do on my supra!
Wondering why you went with the mighty max tranny? A w58 or r154 would have been a better choice in my opinion, would be more flex-able power wise then the mighty max tran.
But either way, your doing a hell of a good job, I'm excited to see your finished product! :thumb:

Thanks man!

The main reason I chose the Max trans was because of cost. Finding an r-154 for less than $600 was proving difficult, plus I would then have to buy a bellhousing for an additional $450.

Ultimately I want to use a T-56, but again, cost. With the max trans I will be able to at least drive the car for awhile. Besides, I won't be over 300 whp for quite a long time LOL.

wow the R154's are that pricey down there?? I have no problem finding one for around 200 ish here, but ya I totally forgot about the bell housing. You planning on slamming it at all? they look really mean lowered.
1977_Toyota_Celica_SSR_MK3_01.jpg

wow the R154's are that pricey down there?? I have no problem finding one for around 200 ish here, but ya I totally forgot about the bell housing. You planning on slamming it at all? they look really mean lowered.
View attachment 145633

Yeah, $600 was the cheapest I've seen. Usually more than that.

Yes! Plan to slam the car, but it will still be practical. I will be making my own front coilovers, and I have an idea that I came up with for the rear, but I won't be sharing that until I do it. The car you posted is a dude on one of my forums, dudes car is rad!

Mine won't look pretty for a long time, but I have a lot planned, tons of fab work to do. But when it is done, it will be a work of art.

I can only imagine man, You've got me pumped to see the finished product.........god I love those celica's!

I'm hoping to get my supra close to this point when I'm done with it.
View attachment 145635

I am pumped too! Unfortunately it isn't moving fast haha.

And that supra is gorgeous as crap!! If crap were gorgeous obviously.

hahaha that's how I feel about both my builds....why cant money just grow on tree's damn it!

I know right. Heck, right now, I'd just be happy with a job. I live off loans, and most of the car money is just side jobs or from selling stuff.

Well I got bored last night at about 1 a.m so I decided to pull out the heater core and blower motor to get it out of the way. The blower motor was going bad anyways so I figured I'd just get rid of it altogether. I plan to make a new center console to fit in its place. The old center console was cracked to pieces.

287CB76D-3989-4868-8108-F040A95A8523-2355-00000296FFEDC57F_zpsd5e63633.jpg

9E6756A7-A31E-4A92-A561-53F9BAAC290E-2355-000002970705050E_zps7f53784d.jpg

If everything goes as planned, I will have the mounts made by the end of next week. All I will need is the semi solid polyurethane puck. I will then make the trans mount after the motor mounts. So far I have been able to make much more progress on this build than I thought I would have. My initial goal for the year was to get the motor mounted, I'm already several months ahead.

I was able to get a little bit of work done today with the car. Still working on the mounts, had to finish cutting the crossmember and clean them up so I can weld the extra steel to it to make the actual mounts. I should be able to weld it all together this week. Now I just need to order the semi solid polyurethane pucks.

All cleaned up and cut up crossmember.

CEE4DB1D-0BF7-4FBE-AF27-85F01D4F4983-1021-0000017412BB2B95.jpg

Bought the steel I will be using for the mounts yesterday. 24x24 11 gauge hot rolled. Pretty high tensile strength.

B22BADC8-57A8-4188-919E-4ECCBCAD9380-1021-00000174042C5D23.jpg

Pulled the brake booster from the car. I didn't really want to get rid of it, but to fit everything I will need, I will have to get rid of it. I may end up doing one of those bellow the floor aftermarket boosters. But I'm not worried about no power brakes.

8ABF7827-4CD7-4052-AEA2-E8FC9C66E7F9-1021-000001740D612CDB.jpg

I received the JMFabrication manifold the other day and just had to see how it fits and looks! I love it.

3B68BD47-D9EB-40C3-8C4D-3BEC8652EEC2-1021-00000174180F1ACF.jpg

62953759-0284-40C9-950A-0660495A10A2-1021-000001741FE7BAD1.jpg

awesome build!!! keep us updated

This weekend was a complete success! I am very happy that I have already gotten this far with the build!!!

To start, I was able to get the sheet metal I wanted to use for the motor mounts. I also finished cutting up the stock crossmember to make room for the oil pan and such.

Here is where the good part comes!

I was able to finish tig welding the mounts Friday. Not the best welds, but I've only been tig welding for 3 weeks. So don't critique to seriously LOL.

DSCN0076.jpg

DSCN0095.jpg

DSCN0094.jpg

For the "rubbers", I chose hockey pucks. Dense. Strong. And only 2 bucks a piece.

DSCN0088.jpg

Drilled 1/2" holes through the middle.

DSCN0089.jpg

Bought some 1/2" OD spacers and pressed them into the hockey puck.

DSCN0092.jpg

DSCN0093.jpg

Bought all the nuts and bolts I needed.

DSCN0090.jpg

And here is my favorite part!!

DSCN0096.jpg

DSCN0098.jpg

DSCN0099.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

My favorite pic! :)

DSCN0100.jpg

My goal for the year was to have the motor mounted. I didn't plan on getting it some until December. Here it is the end of the first week October and the motor is mounted!! All in all I spent $35 on these motor mounts. A lot cheap than what any shop would want. Sit back and think, you might just save some money.

I still have quite a long way to go with this car, but steadily making progress.

AWESOME! I gotta ask, why not 1JZ or 2JZ? (seems to be very popular with this chassis)
I'm glad you did a 4G63! Also, Bill Hincher makes adapters for us RWD guys to bolt i to R154s. $375 for a full kit.

AWESOME! I gotta ask, why not 1JZ or 2JZ? (seems to be very popular with this chassis)
I'm glad you did a 4G63! Also, Bill Hincher makes adapters for us RWD guys to bolt i to R154s. $375 for a full kit.

Well, first problem with the JZ's is cost. Second problem is they are popular. I didn't want to do anything that has been done over and over again. I know of Bill. I do plan to upgrade eventually to either the r-154, preferably the t-56. But again, too costly. Once I'm done with school and can work more I'll change the trans set up. Until then I will be able to drive the car and still have fun.

Man that engine bay is screaming for an Ls motor LOL

Initially I wanted to do a v8. But it was just going to be way to much fabrication. Plus, with most v8's I would need to cut the firewall out and push it back 3-4". I'm 6'5" tall and this car is already tiny enough. Making less room for me didn't seem logical. Lol. But there are a few guy that have swapped v8's and have been very successful.

Man that engine bay is screaming for an Ls motor LOL

Every engine bay screams out for an LS motor. Whether they know it or not, they all want an LS in there.

Which is part of what makes this one cooler.

For now it looks like the build is going to slow down just a tad. I am waiting on some more money to come in, plus I am still very busy with school and stupid amounts of tests.

I will still continue to update as I go. The next thing on the list is to build the brace for the crossmember. With all of the weight of the motor and no support, the control arms like to move a little bit.

This problem was expected so I knew I would have to do something about it.

After that I plan to keep working on the big stuff. Fuel cell, gauge cluster, FMIC, radiator, etc. I have a lot of work ahead of me. The only downside is I won't have access to the breaks that I currently use for all the metal work.

But anyways, I'll keep this thread updated. I get more excited everyday. LOL

So I've been bored not having much to do on the car, so I decided to whip out the oil board and start a template for a spark plug cover. I'm not going to pay, what, like $75 for machined covers. Mine will be hand built and all. Fitment will be darn close to that of the machined ones. Not perfect. But great.

Also, I will have several of these available at a very low cost, if anyone needs one of these and all proceeds will go to this build!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350395048.463270.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350395048.463270.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back