The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Finally

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I do not use a 2step rev limit to launch my car. I just hold the rpms where I want to launch at with the pedal and then slip the clutch out as I described.

It is strange that you guys werent able to make boost in 1st gear with your 67mm turbos. I had a DBB t67 p trim on my car a few years back and even that would make 40 psi in 1st gear.

I do not use a 2step rev limit to launch my car. I just hold the rpms where I want to launch at with the pedal and then slip the clutch out as I described.

It is strange that you guys werent able to make boost in 1st gear with your 67mm turbos. I had a DBB t67 p trim on my car a few years back and even that would make 40 psi in 1st gear.

I agree, but my issue was being FWD, when i got to 8lbs in 1st it blew the tires to shreads even with the quaife LSD, then second was similar with almost 20psi coming on before they let loose and third due to the later torque curve of a 67mm turbo was full traction (well at least when below 28psi with decent timint) Now that i'm AWD, i cna have the wastegate open un first gear if i want, but most times my logs only show 75=80% TPS in 1st gear on this thing and it's still in the 20+ psi range and hauling seriouse A$$

I only hope that if i keep this turbo (looking for a holset) I can eventually build the driveline and gut her out a good bit and pull some similar times with it.. I must say it's the nest damn turbocharger i've ever ran, but i would say this is probably an AWD only turbo unless you're some one so deep into a fast FWD that you can understand and need the advantages of a turbo like this that comes on so late in the normal rev range.. Any more details about your trans or is it just an off the shelf unit that any of us can buy with no special requests when ordering? Anything that can hold that power and those times and isn't a dog box is something i wouldn't mind having (course i'd love a dog box, you justhave to know how to daily drive one to keep it alive, but my years of motorcycle work puts me good to go as well as knowing how to fix/improve the issues when the dogs get worn down or rounded on the edges

When i was on my 57 trim even third gear would explode into smoke untill about 100 MPH because of the hard hitting and high torque in relation to the HP as wlel as how early it came on

This is a turbo that in FWD was ONLY fun in the top of 3rd (fourth was too fast for the areas i test in which are empty back roads) and now that i'm AWD i don't even use third except to get a good idea of AFR's and timing curve when needed.. to me one of the best parts of AWD is you can have insane amounts of fun without breaking the speed limits or even roasting tires which keeps everyone from myself to law enforcement happy :D

Took my mom for a second gear pull today and it was funny watching her look for things to grab onto (i had borrowed my fathers explorer during my AWD swap and needed to take it back to him since he was coming home tonight - he's an OTR driver) **and yes, sadly because of my disability adn that i needed another surgery this past march that put me from working at all for several montsh even my side stuff which is all i have, it really sucked giving up my house last august as well as my retail fab shop :( but as they say "que serra, serra"

Hope i'm not junking up your thread, if i am just say so and i'll clean my stuff up, ;ast thign i want to do is be a thread jacker

Last edited by a moderator:
Glenn,
Aint no thing man, you're not cluttering it up.

The trans is just the stage4 from shep with evo3 gears, a welded center diff. and REM treatment. I have built a lot of them for my car (when I was in college and completely broke), and have ran Shep's as well. I have broken tons of shit over the years (center diffs, third gears, second gears, front diffs, 1 rear axle), but this stage4 seems to be holding quite well. About all I can say is that I change the gear oil (lightweight shockproof) pretty often. I am sure it will break eventually though :) The sad part is that you can do whatever you want to these transmissions- but at the end of the day they were not designed for this.

I was seriously considering a dogbox, but was actually told that it is easy to round the dog teeth off second gear on the street. A rebuild for that is really expensive so I just got the stage4 with everything known that can be done to keep it alive.

Glenn,
Aint no thing man, you're not cluttering it up.

The trans is just the stage4 from shep with evo3 gears, a welded center diff. and REM treatment. I have built a lot of them for my car (when I was in college and completely broke), and have ran Shep's as well. I have broken tons of shit over the years (center diffs, third gears, second gears, front diffs, 1 rear axle), but this stage4 seems to be holding quite well. About all I can say is that I change the gear oil (lightweight shockproof) pretty often. I am sure it will break eventually though :) The sad part is that you can do whatever you want to these transmissions- but at the end of the day they were not designed for this.

I was seriously considering a dogbox, but was actually told that it is easy to round the dog teeth off second gear on the street. A rebuild for that is really expensive so I just got the stage4 with everything known that can be done to keep it alive.

Gotcha, I wish i could get a spare center diff and 2 extra spider gears i think i could make a 4 spider myself :D AS for dogboxes, they are similar to motorcycle trannies and i've done tons of work undercutting thedogs to hold better engagement, repairing rounded edges and so forth, so i am pretty sure i could do the same on a car dog box, actually were gonna play with a honda trans and see wjat i can do here soon :D

the dogs and their "holes" just get rounded off, so they slip out under power, then just like on a bilke you can mill the dog and holl with a concave to it where the more power applied the harder it stays in gear, also you cna build them back up and re-heat treat the gear as well (done this on bikes like old nortons and such where you can't find parts)

All in all it's understanding what's there and how it works and to be honest i understanda dog style box WAY better than i understand exatly what each part of a synchro does LOL

But i really wanna make a new center diff for my car and try some other things as well, just need spatres to play with i guess, hell even a blown one would be a good start for pieces

Congrats man!!

Glenn, id say your smaller aspect ratio is where you are seeing the difference. Wvturbo2's car is exactly the same way as OP's late spool(t3 vband .82 A/R), but hold on once it does, LOL.

Amazing pass man and that's a fantastic looking 1G you have there. :thumb: :hellyeah:

Hey Glenn.. I have an HX35 on my car and I'm looking for something bigger pretty soon. I also have a couple spare 91+ transmissions with good center diffs in them ;) Sorry to cutter up your thread OP. Glenn PM me if any of that sounds interesting.

Congrats! Is this JB or BB?

Debating what my next upgrade will be after HTA86. I'm looking at either T4 divided 6766 or 7175.

calculating horsepower by using vehicle weight + trap speed comes out to roughly 750 wheel hp and 814 @ the crank. Very impressive. Clean ass 1g too. Congrats

calculating horsepower by using vehicle weight + trap speed comes out to roughly 750 wheel hp and 814 @ the crank. Very impressive. Clean ass 1g too. Congrats

I am guessing you are low on that number. Its a dsm on a synchro box those calculator work good on v8s with autos not on these applications. respool and wheel spin is not factored.

By his boost numbers and setup I would guess its in the low 800s on a dynojet.

I know this is an old thread, but is this on a 2.0 motor or stroker? Building a stroker motor myself and looking for a good turbo to go with it. Just trying to figure out around where it might spool at. Thanks.

This was on a 2.0 buschur stage 3 shortblock, and my ported head. The shortblock has 10.0 to 1 JE pistons and manley turbo tuff rods. I switched to a 6766 (from the 6765 in the videos) this year. I also made a 3.5inch exhaust for it. It definately makes more power now but I have not put together a faster and quicker pass yet (keeps breaking the drivetrain).

Spool is in the 5 to 6k range. I think its better spool/more power all around better with the 66mm turbine wheel and 3.5 exhaust- in comparison to the 6765.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back