The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

external wastegate with O2 housing dump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inneed4dsm

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2007
Elkhart, Indiana
I just got my 68hta turbo from forced performance today and its internally gated what is the point of the O2 dump? should i get this or no im not dsm illiterate but this is one thing i've never looked into to be honest..

so the question is should i get a dumped o2 housing with and internally gated turbo?
what is the purpose basically i just need it explained thanks guys

I don't quite understand the title of your thread. You can use an o2 dump on both internally and externally gated turbos. Either way there are pros and cons to having an o2 dump. They help eliminate boost creep and they do free up your exhaust flow by not allowing the gasses from the wastegate to combine with the main turbine outlet gasses. This is good because the short distance before the gasses merge (with a recirculated o2 housing) affects turbine effeciency and spool. It also causes turbulence in the exhaust stream, which slows or restricts flow.

The only downside to running an o2 dump, is that it is very loud under boost, whenever the wastegate opens. O ya and they are a little higher in price. If you can live with the louder sound whenever you hit boost, then I definetly recommend the dump.

I don't quite understand the title of your thread. You can use an o2 dump on both internally and externally gated turbos. Either way there are pros and cons to having an o2 dump. They help eliminate boost creep and they do free up your exhaust flow by not allowing the gasses from the wastegate to combine with the main turbine outlet gasses. This is good because the short distance before the gasses merge (with a recirculated o2 housing) affects turbine effeciency and spool. It also causes turbulence in the exhaust stream, which slows or restricts flow.

The only downside to running an o2 dump, is that it is very loud under boost, whenever the wastegate opens. O ya and they are a little higher in price. If you can live with the louder sound whenever you hit boost, then I definetly recommend the dump.

This is true but the benifits aren't much greater then having it recirculated. Not to mention that most places it's illegal to have unclean exhaust going to the atmosphere (pre cat). It's also a visual fail as well assuming there are emmisions in the said area.

Less turbulance is good but for most people, the turbulance created is negligable for the amount of HP they are creating in relation to the exhaust size. Basically the added back pressure is too little to make a difference for most people.

The smaller the turbo the worse the dump is if you dislike the sound anyway. You'll hear it more often on a smaller turbo that reaches max pressure quicker than a larger turbo that will reach it only when you want it to.

so can i ask u guys a question. Can i run an external wastegate off of the manifold while running an exhaust dump? Is that possible or will it create boost issues? Im asking because i use to run an evo 3. My new setup will be an hx 35

Yes, you can do the setup and there would be no boost issues. Although I don't find that you'd need a dump tube unless you got the supporting mods to run at high boost.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Why wouldnt he need a dump tube with that o2 housing? Seems kind of dangerous to have that hot of gases just floating around in your engine bay. We have heat issues as it is. Mine external W/G is off the manifold, i have a dump tube routed directly downward in front of my 3" exhaust. I will tell you that it does contend with those v8's when you get on it. Above 4k rmps & its roaring :hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back