The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

O2 Dump with external dump...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbeing1

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2005
Palm Beach, Florida
I was wondering what this does exactly compared to a dump with internal? does internal hinder performance or is the external just for a loud sound? thanks

I think if you dump venting outside the car it's better cause your not releasing hot air into the engine bay. Some people do dump just for the sound, but you dont wanna let too much air out or you will loose horse power. BUt dumping outside the car is deifntly better

Okay first off. External dumping eliminates boost creep. And internal doesnt hurt your car or hinder your performance until you get so high in the boost range when an Internal can not hold its spring any longer and your boost drops

Gsnoturbo[qoute]you dont wanna let too much air out or you will loose horse power[qoute]

You might wanna read up a little bit about external dumps. Since That is completely absurd to say about external dumping.

I run my external dump right along side my down pipe for about 15 inches from my external wastegate on my tubular manifold.

External Dump is going to be much louder once the wastegate opens, and depending on how strict the cops are in your city, you may get a citation. I didn't check out your mods yet, but if you have a free flowing exhaust from the O2 back, I would try it out with the internal first, or get maybe a ported O2 housing.

turbo2086 said:
External Dump is going to be much louder once the wastegate opens, and depending on how strict the cops are in your city, you may get a citation. .

Thats only if you get ON it all the time in city limits. Cause the wastegate isn't gonna open till you hit your set boost hince WOT. Then yes it is loud. but in daily driving. mine never opened up unless i wanted it to. But good info none the less Turbo20086 :thumb:

Yeah, i have a free flowing apexi n1 from the o2 back. on another note, would it hurt to have a external with low boost? Thanks for you help so far guys!

im just curious if you are confusing an internal wastegate dumped to the atmosphere, with an external wastegate dumped to the atmosphere? It seems like that is a point of confusion in this thread. You can put an internal or external on and run whatever boost you want.
Im going to quickly try to clear something up here...

EXTERNALLY DUMPED with internal wastegate - uses your stock wastegate flapper, but instead of the normal re-route like your stock o2 housing has it pipes it off to the atmosphere like this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

RE-ROUTED EXTERNAL wastegate this is on the o2 housing, which attaches to the turbo, in this setup the stock internal flapper is removed the shiny thing(external wastegate) replaces it-

EXTERNALLY dumped, external wastegate welded to the manifold:

Sbeing1 said:
I was wondering what this does exactly compared to a dump with internal? does internal hinder performance or is the external just for a loud sound? thanks

I will be assuming that you are referring to an internally gated turbo, and your questions refer to the o2 housing. . . .

having an "internal" tube or a wastegate dump tube that routes back into the exhasut does not hinder performance, because a hindrance would imply a modification that has adverse effects. So, being that the stock o2 housing has the dump tube routing back into the exhaust, it is not a modification at all. The only way to adversely affect performance would be a poorly designed tubular o2 housing that slams the wastegate path at a perpendicular angle to the main exhaust flow.

Having a wastegate dump tube that shoots exhaust out into the atmosphere has its pros and cons . . .
pro : reduce or even eliminate boost creep
con : hot air on your alternator or intercooler piping(for fmic applications)
pro : maybe reduce or eliminate boost spike
con : fail state inspection (??depends on situation i suppose??)
pro : loud noise!
con : loud noise! (as stated by other poster, only happens when full boost is reached)

i'm sure there's more, but that's for starters.

yea i was talking about external wastegate external dump, thank you so much guys for your help, it truley helped me on my decision. thank you

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back