The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Evo 9 OFH in 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbosax2

Nov 19, 2006
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
I started my oil cooler project today and I'm using an Evo 9 OFH. Figured I'd post up some progress and information in case others are interested.
Note that this only works on 7-bolts.

Evo 9 OFH - 1230A018
Evo 8 OFH - MD372813

Either will work, the 9 OFH just has an additional 1/8" BSP port that the 8 OFH does not.

Bolts to use:
Upper holes - MF241261 - 8x1.25x40
Lower left - MF241266 - 8x1.25x65
Lower right - MF241268 - 8x1.25x75

These are all from the stock 2g OFH and happen to be the right length; you just need to buy another MF241261 since the 2g only uses one this size.

Gasket:
Evo - MD322522
2g - MD185528

Upper – Evo
Lower – 2g

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can see that the gaskets are identical for the most part, but the Evo has one hole the 2g doesn't, and vice versa. The extra hole in the Evo gasket doesn't even line up with a hole in the Evo OFH, so I'm not sure why it's there. The extra hole in the 2g gasket lines up with a recess in both the OFH and front case, but it doesn't seem the recess is used for any purpose. I'll probably use the 2g gasket though just to be safe.

And here are pictures of it installed. The bottom of the filter sits at about the same level of the oil pan, and above the downpipe and crossmember. Also, the bolt hole for the lower timing cover lines up perfectly :)

This is with a metric to -10 adapter and low profile -10 fitting. The fitting sits slightly lower than the filter. On the side port there is no way to fit this combination with the splash shield in place, so I'm most likely going to use banjo bolt fittings for both ports.

And with the splash shield on. There is about 3mm of clearance between the splash shield and OFH at the tightest point, but I was surprised how well it fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea! How much does a new Evo OFH cost?

Very interesting. So will the evo 8 ofh be good enough?

The Evo 9 OFH has 3 ports: two 3/8" BSP and one 1/8" BSP. Evo 8 OFH's only have the two 3/8" BSP ports.

You can see the three ports in this picture, and the port to use for feeding a turbo is circled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question related to this. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I see that the oil filter sandwich adaptor, I think that's the name of it, isn't being used.
Ok, now, last night my oil pressure gauge dropped drastically as I smelled oil burning. So as soon as the dummy light came on, which happened within seconds of me smelling oil burning, I turned the car off. So I jacked up the car and looked to see where the oil leaked from and was thinking perhaps a hose busted, but didn't see anything out of the normal. I found the oil filter to be loose and blamed it on the cheap brand the previous owner put on. So I tighten it and asked my buddy to turn on the car while I checked to make sure it's fixed. As soon as the engine is on, oil starts gushing out from the adaptor on the oil filter housing side, the side opposite of the oil filter, so I told him to turn it off.
So here's my question. Is it ok to run the car without that adapter sandwich part? Also, any ideas of what might have happened to my car. It's been raining all day and I haven't gotten a chance to see ### happened to it from last night's mountain cruise. Oh yeah, this happened in my newly acquired 2g, my 1g is down at the moment. Idk if it makes a difference.
Sorry if I hijacked the thread, but I used the search function like a good dsmtuners member should do and came across this thread.

Nevermind. After researching more, I found a solution to my problem

So this is the only thread about this.

I have a few questions to ask,

-Does this housing have a port for a factory type sender for the gauge cluster?

-What about the oil pressure switch?

-Does it have a built in thermostat for the oil cooler?

-Hows your oil pressure been, what weight oil and b-shaft setup?

I'm planning on getting one this week or next week and use it to clear my Saturn Alt, and run the factory auto trans cooler as an oil cooler.

Thanks!

can this work with a 6 bolt?

So this is the only thread about this.

I have a few questions to ask,

-Does this housing have a port for a factory type sender for the gauge cluster?

-What about the oil pressure switch?

The Evo 9 OFH has 3 ports: two 3/8" BSP and one 1/8" BSP. Evo 8 OFH's only have the two 3/8" BSP ports. Do with them what you will.

-Does it have a built in thermostat for the oil cooler?

Yes.

-Hows your oil pressure been, what weight oil and b-shaft setup?

I haven't had time to wire up my oil pressure senders yet. For that matter, I have only driven the car a little since the install. I purposely did NOT port the housing before install so I can measure oil pressure and port if necessary.

can this work with a 6 bolt?

No.

Ok, and two 3/8th ones are for the cooler correct?

No, the coolers ports are the larger M18x1.5 ports.

Oh! Thats great then! So then the factory trans cooler only has 3/8" inlet/outlet will that be too small for the filter housing?

M18? Damn thats huge!

Last edited:
I would also love to know how the oil pressure is on this set up. I'm currently building my engine and have been looking at getting a new OFH. :hellyeah:

For those of you asking about oil pressure, I finally got my senders installed. I still can't drive the car, but I ran it today for some testing.

Stock '99 engine
No balance shafts
Mobil 1 10W-30 / Wix filter
200psi logged pressure sender and 100psi VEI gauge sender (both read about the same)
Cold startup pressure: Peaks at 68, drops to 45 quickly
Warm idle pressure: 12-16
4500rpm stutterbox pressure: 99

I'll be sure to update what I find out once I can drive the car, but it looks like porting the OFH will most definitely be in my future.

Attachments

• log.2011.07.04-05.elg
    17.4 KB · Views: 183
  • log.2011.07.03-03.elg
    176.5 KB · Views: 124
I'd be worried about warm idle pressure being on the low side. I like to see 20-25 psi.
From the FSM.
Oil pressure at curb idle speed should be 11.4psi @ 167* to 194*F​
Its in spec according to the service manual, I'd be worried about the pressure logged in the higher RPM's under load. Seems like doing a BS elimination on even an Evo would require some OFH porting to keep pressure in check so you don't blow the seals on the turbo.

Thanks for the update Eric.

:dsm:

If I can get the high rpm pressure issue sorted out reasonably, I'll consider using a slightly heavier oil to raise pressure at idle a touch.

I saw a smoother idle when I switched from 10w-30 (11-18psi at idle) to 20w-50 (20-27psi at idle).

Just throwing that out there.

Stock everything.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back