The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Evo 9 OFH in 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have any pictures of how you set up your oil cooler lines? Did you end up using banjo bolts? Have you measured oil pressure at the cooler as well to see how much of a restriction the banjo bolts are (if you're using them)?

Im running the Evo9 ofh as well. This writeup covers everything. The only thing I did that is significantly different is that I used 18mmX-10 fittings for my lines. Im also not running all the stock fender panels. Here is the one pic I currently have. Turbosax2 feel free to delete if you dont want this in here. I give all credit to Turbosax2 for sorting this all out. Otherwise I would not have done it.

Attachments

• Fender suppt.jpg
    Fender suppt.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 611
Do you have any pictures of how you set up your oil cooler lines? Did you end up using banjo bolts? Have you measured oil pressure at the cooler as well to see how much of a restriction the banjo bolts are (if you're using them)?

Pictures:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/152527852-post637.html

Yes, I used banjo bolts. No, I have not and do not plan on measuring oil pressure at the cooler. I did not write down any numbers, but I did measure the total area of the holes in the banjo bolts leading to the fittings before installing them. I do not believe the banjo bolts will be a restriction at all.

Figured i would post up a pic of an Evo8 OFH on a 7bolt front cover/block while on the stand

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks for the info Turbosax!

Ok so dumbed down version... lets see if i understood all this...

1 need evo9 OFH (to run lines for a cooler)

2 use 2g OFH gasket

3 intall, add oil and use evo9 filter now?

4 use the 18mmx10 for the cooler lines

let me know if im wrong here will deff wanna go this route while im installing my motor THANKS!:hellyeah:

Ok so dumbed down version... lets see if i understood all this...

1 need evo9 OFH (to run lines for a cooler)

2 use 2g OFH gasket

3 intall, add oil and use evo9 filter now?

4 use the 18mmx10 for the cooler lines

let me know if im wrong here will deff wanna go this route while im installing my motor THANKS!:hellyeah:

I thought the first post was pretty dumbed down :confused: Just read it, as everything you need is in there.

Sounds good. But there is one bolt that has to be changed as well. I dont remember the size or P/N.

It's all in the first post ;)

No logs this time, but I will definitely be porting the OFH. I finally drove the car yesterday to confirm that.

I also confirmed I hooked up the lines correctly by checking temperatures on the lines with an IR thermometer.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but do you know if the oil ports are the same size as the evo 3 housing. I'm asking because I'd like to know if an oil cooler kit designed for the evo 3 housing will work.

Does this housing leave plenty of space for the alternator? I'm doing the Saturn alternator swap and I'm running into the stock water cooler. I'm trying to figure out if I'll have any problems with this housing.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Turbosax2, could you let me know which fittings you ended up going with to clear the splash shield? I need to piece together the parts for a cooler. Any other info you could share regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

I just bought a '95 GSX for my girlfriend which was supposed to have a 6-bolt conversion done. It was not running as it was a partial part-out that we saved from certain death but I did notice the odd OFH at the time of purchase and asked the owner what it was and he said it was an Evo-9 OFH. It looks brand new and exactly like the Evo-9 OFH shown in the pictures here. So now I'm confused since this is suppose to only work with a 7-bolt; something doesn't add up. I am almost 100% certain it's the Evo-9 OFH and the engine is using a green-top CAS so I would think it's a 6-bolt although I never did confirm by checking the oil pan shape or flywheel bolts. hmmmm..... Somthing to look at when I get home tonight.

Edit:
Well checked the oil pan and sure enough it's a 7-bolt. A bit strange to see a 7-bolt with a 1g green-top CAS. I'll definately be changing that back to a 2g crank and cam sensor setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly off topic but do you know if the oil bypass valve on these is the same as on the 1990 OFH?

attachment.php

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
More data:

My unported Evo 9 housing gives 90-98psi oil pressure during a 1/4 mile pull.
Brian's ported Evo 9 housing gives 74-84psi oil pressure during a 1/4 mile pull.

These measurements are using the same model pressure sender and same weight oil, but obviously on different engines. I will be porting mine soon to give unported/ported data on the same engine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back