The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

ERL manifold cracked!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any reason not to use a composite exhaust gasket? I personally like then alot

Na no reason not to might be the way to go so as to avoid future issues with this manifold . This is probably the gasket they had in mind when the manifold was cast.

That is not going to be necessary I will just have to live with what happened. I was sent a pm saying that I cracked the manifold because I used the beaded copper gasket. It was explained to me that the manifold flange cracked because the bead on the copper gasket wouldn't let it sit flat on the head. I understand what is being said but IMO the manifold should have still pull the bead flat without cracking. It was suggested since its welded now to eliminate the copper gasket and use a mitsu 4 layer oem one. Okee do kee anything at this point until I get a new manifold. I was going to fabricate my 3" v-band down pipe off the ERL but now I have to wait for the new manifold inorder to do my exhaust completely because different manifolds sets the downpipe in different locations and there is not enough room when using 3" pipe to play with.

Do they specify not using those gaskets on the site? If not, then the manufacturer would still be at fault. I mean how could you not add in the little fact that, the most commonly used dsm gasket will cause our mani to fail?

Im not sure how that could cause a problem anyway? As long as its torqued to spec. I've used the copper gaskets on several 1g and 2g ported cast manifolds. Never seen any signs of an issue from the gaskets.

I personally wouldn't eat the cost of two manifolds because of a manufacturers design flaws or poor build quality. FP's cast manifolds aren't cracking like that...

Do they specify not using those gaskets on the site? If not, then the manufacturer would still be at fault. I mean how could you not add in the little fact that, the most commonly used dsm gasket will cause our mani to fail?

Im not sure how that could cause a problem anyway? As long as its torqued to spec. I've used the copper gaskets on several 1g and 2g ported cast manifolds. Never seen any signs of an issue from the gaskets.

I personally wouldn't eat the cost of two manifolds because of a manufacturers design flaws or poor build quality. FP's cast manifolds aren't cracking like that...
This is the only gasket that I have used with this manifold didn't have an issue until now. I measured the boss on the gasket and I must say that it doesn't fit around the exhaust port perfect nor does it fit inside the port perfect. It seems that the half of the gasket boss sit inside the port and half sit on the flange. If you look st the erl manifold there really isn't that much flange meat on the bottom therefore there is a small margin for the manifold to hit the gasket on the copper boss on the bottom side of manifold. This would cause the manifold to sit at odd position when mounted to the head. Look at the flange difference on the erl and this punishment racing manifold more meat on the punishment racing manifold at the bottom.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352752069764.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352752069764.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 146
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352752164398.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352752164398.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 145
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352752227575.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352752227575.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 138
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352752254083.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352752254083.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 148
Well I think I am going to take my old sus321 ramhorn to be ceramic coated and put it back on the car it has no crack and is pretty solid here is a pic of it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352753798114.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352753798114.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 132
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352753814177.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352753814177.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 129
Sounds like you have options and a plan.

Keep us posted!

Sounds like you have options and a plan.

Keep us posted!

Will do. Just so everyone know that if you purchase any product from this reseller you are on your own if it fails. Read their disclaimer before you buy!

Bastard so do you think it will hold up for a minute?

Not with that weld job. Looks like they welded it with cast rod or somthing.

I would use a cut off wheel and grind that weld out of there, and "vee" the crack so you have clean clean metal to weld to. Then it should be tig welded in side and out with flux or back gas, with stainless rod.

Really glad I saw this. Was going to order my ERL and embossed gaskets this week.

I understand the gasket concern with cracking the lip, but shouldnt that lip be reinforced like any other manifold? It just doesnt seem right to have a near $600 cast SS manifold have tiny space around the bolt holes...

Just wanted to drop in and express my sincere apology for the lack of follow through on the warranty from ERL. We always do our best to educate customers of potential pitfalls when modifying their cars but it impossible to be 100% perfect. Hopefully anyone looking to purchase this manifold can learn for your experience and avoid this same dilema.

I went ahead and added a disclaimer to the listing here - ERL Performance Cast Exhaust Manifold for DSM (T3 / T4 / Mitsubishi Turbochargers) - Modern Automotive Performance

Keltalon if you're in need of any further assistance I would appreciate you reaching out to me directly as I have no problem going to bat for a customer who has had a poor experience with any products we sell.

Thanks,
Dan Carey
Director of Sales and Marketing
[email protected]
763.545.3800x113

Just wanted to drop in and express my sincere apology for the lack of follow through on the warranty from ERL. We always do our best to educate customers of potential pitfalls when modifying their cars but it impossible to be 100% perfect. Hopefully anyone looking to purchase this manifold can learn for your experience and avoid this same dilema.

I went ahead and added a disclaimer to the listing here - ERL Performance Cast Exhaust Manifold for DSM (T3 / T4 / Mitsubishi Turbochargers) - Modern Automotive Performance

Keltalon if you're in need of any further assistance I would appreciate you reaching out to me directly as I have no problem going to bat for a customer who has had a poor experience with any products we sell.

Thanks,
Dan Carey
Director of Sales and Marketing
[email protected]
763.545.3800x113

I have spoken to several people over there even the owner no help. My issue is Maperformance told me to contact the manufacturer when I did the manufacturer said I have to deal with Maperformance so I call Maperformance back and got straight jumped I just said if I wanted to spend 550.00 to get jumped I could have went downtown Atlanta and those guys would have been delighted. So I am just done with it and like you said if I don't learn from this I need to be jumped again. 550.00 down the drainOMG oh by the way now you add a disclaimer after the fact now that's a daggum shame!

Last edited by a moderator:
"If you're looking for an exhaust manifold for your T3 turbocharger that won't crack and is provisioned for an external wastegate off of the collector (like it should be!) then you are in the right place! In our opinion the range of flange options, quality of the casting, and price point make this the only logical choice for an exhaust manifold upgrade!"

I posted the description of the manifold on MAP above. I love the guys from MAP but this manifold is officially off my recommendation list. I was going to order two ERL manifolds but that is not going to happen now especially with the bs excuse not to honor a warranty.

Welding a waste flange onto the manfold is not going to over heat the runner area. What lame excuse is next? Looking at the manifold will void the warranty! If you want to deal with junk, get a Chinabay t3 manifold.

"If you're looking for an exhaust manifold for your T3 turbocharger that won't crack and is provisioned for an external wastegate off of the collector (like it should be!) then you are in the right place! In our opinion the range of flange options, quality of the casting, and price point make this the only logical choice for an exhaust manifold upgrade!"

This is exactly why I bought it rock solid advertising:banghead:

Another thing that I don't understand is the drop down for the split collar. If you choose to not include it, it states (welding required). So what I'm getting out of this is that they are basically saying, if you don't use a 38mm eg with the split collar, your warranty is going to be void.I think map is seriously droppin the ball by not just eating this one, replacing your mani, or refunding your money, and THEN adding some more detailed disclaimers. It SHOULD be a learning experience but it shouldn't be at the cost of a customer. I think replacing one manifold for the customer is much less of a loss than losing a customers repeat biz, NOT TO MENTION all of us that are getting a really bitter taste in our mouths from MAP as we read this. And while yes, I DO feel that ERL should have been the FIRST to make it right, the bottom line is they DIDN'T, and from that point I feel it should be up to MAP to make it right for the customer because in the end, THEY chose to sell that product and put their trust in the quality and made the claim that it wouldn't crack on their website. They need to take care of their customer now and then seek reimbursement from ERL themselves. That's my opinion....

Another thing that I don't understand is the drop down for the split collar. If you choose to not include it, it states (welding required). So what I'm getting out of this is that they are basically saying, if you don't use a 38mm eg with the split collar, your warranty is going to be void.I think map is seriously droppin the ball by not just eating this one, replacing your mani, or refunding your money, and THEN adding some more detailed disclaimers. It SHOULD be a learning experience but it shouldn't be at the cost of a customer. I think replacing one manifold for the customer is much less of a loss than losing a customers repeat biz, NOT TO MENTION all of us that are getting a really bitter taste in our mouths from MAP as we read this. And while yes, I DO feel that ERL should have been the FIRST to make it right, the bottom line is they DIDN'T, and from that point I feel it should be up to MAP to make it right for the customer because in the end, THEY chose to sell that product and put their trust in the quality and made the claim that it wouldn't crack on their website. They need to take care of their customer now and then seek reimbursement from ERL themselves. That's my opinion....

Man I didn't catch that part earlier (Welding required) if you don't use the split collar. They are saying I modified the manifold that is totally not true. If you do a google search on ERL image just about every ERL manifold has had a flange for the wastegate welded onto it all those manifolds at this point has no warranty. Thats about 99% dsmers if you ask me.

Spot an error? Help us improve this listing.
Details
Item Number ERL EXM-DSM

Our price: $549.99
Quantity Price
*Note:
Options

Split Collar Ring Not Included (Welding Necessary) Included (+$30.00)
2 bolt Flange Not Included Included
Quantity 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25"

straight from the order form!! Now that's a daggumm shame for real!!

I'm glad i got a T3 mani on the cheap I was trying to hold out on one of these, but considering you are 1 out of who knows how many that have this manifold means that I'm not quite convinced that ERL is 100% at fault at this point.

IF you find other with the same issues, I'll eat my words i guess.

I've got a 46mm pte wastegate on mine. No other option but to weld the flange on with that.
This is simply a case of a manufacturer using anything that they can to avoid honouring a warranty.
Pretty poor form in my opinion.

I'm glad i got a T3 mani on the cheap I was trying to hold out on one of these, but considering you are 1 out of who knows how many that have this manifold means that I'm not quite convinced that ERL is 100% at fault at this point.

IF you find other with the same issues, I'll eat my words i guess.

You have the right to purchase and use whatever manifold you like. If you chose to purchase the ERL then that your business. If you can't see that on their website if you don't purchase the slip collar then welding is necessary and you acutually weld a flange on it and it voids the warranty that its nuthing but their fault they should not have that as an option if it voids the warranty. Any reasonable person dropping almost 600.00 on a manny will have issue with this form of advertisement. Complaint with the better business burea has been filed whether I get reimbursement back or not I feel a since of satisfaction knowing that my complaint will go on record and will be on record for a long time;)

Damn, such a shame. This really did look like the best option out there for a cast manifold in the T3 set up.

You bought it because their description said it wouldn't crack but it did and now they won't replace it? If that wasn't false advertisement I don't know what is.

Guess I should start selling Money Tree Seeds that grow real U.S. currency. And once my customers realize they don't really grow money I'll just say "tough sh!t, I didn't make these seeds" and edit the description.

You bought it because their description said it wouldn't crack but it did and now they won't replace it? If that wasn't false advertisement I don't know what is.

Guess I should start selling Money Tree Seeds that grow real U.S. currency. And once my customers realize they don't really grow money I'll just say tough sh!t, I didn't make these seeds and edit the description.

Lifetime warranty guaranteed not to crack is why I bought it!:toobad: If I were the maker I would be just as surprised as everybody else as to why it cracked when it shouldn't crack in a lifetime instead the first response, was like some typ of rehersed rebuttal. Somebody knew that this day was coming and was prepared.

Thanks for the post Kel. Im not just saying this, ive mentioned it in a few other posts: I WAS going to go with the ERL mani. I thought it was the best t3 mani out there and really liked the way the WG came off. But now??? You kidding me? I wouldnt touch it with a ten ft pole!! I feel bad for ya dude, what i bummer. Rest assured that no one who has read this thread will forget this.

Im sorry MAP, but i think you guys are dropping the ball on this one pretty bad. I say that being a customer of you and having bought atleast a few different things from you.

And the Mfr.?? ERL?? Theyre even worse, they are far more to blame in this situation. Damn Kel, im pissed for you at this point. Just wrong.... SMH at this shit

Edit: funny about that disclaimer suddenly showing up. But, atleast MAP is letting future customers know. Id like it to say:" Modifying in ANY way, INCLUDING EVEN THE WG FLANGE, will void the warranty"
Make it clear as day guys

Thanks for the post Kel. Im not just saying this, ive mentioned it in a few other posts: I WAS going to go with the ERL mani. I thought it was the best t3 mani out there and really liked the way the WG came off. But now??? You kidding me? I wouldnt touch it with a ten ft pole!! I feel bad for ya dude, what i bummer. Rest assured that no one who has read this thread will forget this.

Im sorry MAP, but i think you guys are dropping the ball on this one pretty bad. I say that being a customer of you and having bought atleast a few different things from you.

And the Mfr.?? ERL?? Theyre even worse, they are far more to blame in this situation. Damn Kel, im pissed for you at this point. Just wrong.... SMH at this shit

Edit: funny about that disclaimer suddenly showing up. But, atleast MAP is letting future customers know. Id like it to say:" Modifying in ANY way, INCLUDING EVEN THE WG FLANGE, will void the warranty"
Make it clear as day guys

You know what boost97 my engine build is almost complete the manifold was a minor set back but I remembered that the ramhorn was sitting here in the shop. It will be ceramic coated and put on the car. Now here is the deal I would have loved to make 600-650 cyclone manifold (my goal) 700-800 SMIM (my goal) with the ERL manifold listed in my profile But now this gives the little ramhorn an opportunity to shine. I purshased the ERL the for the same reason you stated above. look stock, wastegate flange up top. The only thing with the ramhorn I have to use a 1g radiator inorder for the hose t clear the exhaust runners fortunately I didn't sell it either. Something told me to hold on to the ramhorn I did despite serveral freinds begging me to sell it to them;)

Ramhorn just been surfaced. Pics of Ramhorn on my old setup. you knotice the meat that the flange have all around it greater security for seal the gasket than the ERL.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352815009639.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352815009639.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 117
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352815047922.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352815047922.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 103
Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back