The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

OBX has new 4g64 manifold (looks similar to ERL Placement)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well first i would send the seller a email, and ask specifically whats its for since you are not sure, the same with anything i buy on ebay unless im for sure its going to work for my setup. 30 day refund.

Whats an extra $200 out of pocket worth to you? To me its worth not having to ask those kind of questions. If you like this style, then I say give credit where credit is due, imo, and pony up for the no-crack peace of mind...ERL ftw. The only exhausts from obx/ssac I have seen have all been rewelded at least once. I don't understand why anyone would go for an ebay manifold, knowing what we do, when the ever-popular FP cast manifold is out there for cheaper.

Yea it's a eBay so what I've seen some pretty good obx stuff, with that said even if it cracks it has a lifetime warranty from manufacturer defects and cracking so you can exchange it. If it's what is in your price range go for it and see how it goes and let everyone else know about it.

what you guys were hearing is back then, obx was using 304 stainless which cracks.

The new su321 material they are using now is way stronger. I would give the manifold a chance. nobody is really got first hand experience with them and with limited knowledge you all are assuming their new design/materials sucks.

When i decides to go t3 with my holset, this manifold will be my first choice.

Here are dsmtuner members that have tested the obx ramhorn with su321 material

Facts
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bol...al-length-ss-tubular-manifold-looks-good.html

They've been selling that manifold for the 4G64 for many, many years. They just recently added the external wastegate provision and doubled the price for it.

I assume it's not advertised for the 4G63 for the following reasons:
1) The Chinese aren't the best/smartest advertisers.
2) It's got a T3 flange, therefore it's not a direct replacement for any 4G63 with a stock turbo.
3) It more than likely locates the turbo in a slightly different location than a stock 4G63 manifold.

250 for a ebay erl or over 500 for a real one and be done with it, but i guess it depends on you and your budget.

The new su321 material they are using now is way stronger. I would give the manifold a chance. nobody is really got first hand experience with them and with limited knowledge and you are all assume their new design/materials sucks.

Well, OBX is paying the price for years of crappy products. IMO thats a good thing. If you are going to do it, do it right first thing, don't step up late in the game and give all your prior customers the finger, improving things that were done poorly to begin with. In that situation, legit manufacturers conduct RECALLS. Real companies do their own R&D and product testing, they don't copy others researched and paid-for designs, then force the customers to do quality control testing for them. "They might finally be doing it right after ripping off legit companies, and knowingly selling crap for years" is not a good reason to give a company my money, IMO. ERL FTW.

what you guys were hearing is back then, obx was using 304 stainless which cracks.

The new su321 material they are using now is way stronger. I would give the manifold a chance. nobody is really got first hand experience with them and with limited knowledge you all are assuming their new design/materials sucks.
Ehh... I don't buy it. The specifics of welding and overall manifold design will have a far greater affect on whether it cracks or not. I've ran several 304 pipe and tube manifolds (even an OBX) and never had one crack. And my buddy Dan (project_tsi) ran a 321 pipe manifold (made by a prominent manifold maker) for one season and it cracked in 8 places. So when someone says XXX material is always better than XXX, I don't buy into it.

This manifold isn't the best design, doesn't use the best materials, and isn't welded by a pro, but that doesn't mean it can't support big power and hold up for many years. I'd rather have an ERL or Turbonetics cast, but this one appears to be a cheaper and reasonable substitute. Just pointing out the obvious.

Well, OBX is paying the price for years of crappy products. IMO thats a good thing. If you are going to do it, do it right first thing, don't step up late in the game and give all your prior customers the finger, improving things that were done poorly to begin with. In that situation, legit manufacturers conduct RECALLS. Real companies do their own R&D and product testing, they don't copy others researched and paid-for designs, then force the customers to do quality control testing for them. "They might finally be doing it right after ripping off legit companies, and knowingly selling crap for years" is not a good reason to give a company my money, IMO. ERL FTW.

Im just not gonna assume that their product are bad, im sure when they make their product back then it was shitty no doubt. They quality have improve (they got to, to make money in this tuff economy) and its wouldn't hurt to take another look. I know their poor reputation have implanted bad assumptions in our heads.

To me i cant go around spending $500 dollars on each little single part on my car. Being educated human beings i am gonna do some research and come up with alternative cost effective way to enjoy my car. But you are right, who wouldn't want brand name products, but sometimes we just cant afford them. ERL is a great manifold too.

99gst_racer you are right too, the quality of the welds do matter. Obx welds looks pretty good in the picture.

Or he can find something other than that manifold for his set up, ive learned to do one thing at a time and build it over the years.

I wasn't really comparing it to the ERL quality. The placement and angle of the flange looked similar to me though. I just lost a used ERL bid yesterday. I may give this one a go. Last I checked the ERL was 550 plus shipping... quite a difference from 255 shipped. It looks like it may place the turbo centered on the block. This may hurt DP clearance a bit, but will help clear the drain lines.

I've used a lot of OBX products and never had a problem. I compared one of their 02 housings to the cheapo ebay units and it was a night and day difference. I also don't see how people think they can hang a 35+lb turbo off a 16ga manifold and not have cracking issues? I plan on trying to support it from the bottom. There are some large unused bolt holes on the front of the 4g63 blocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
They've been selling that manifold for the 4G64 for many, many years. They just recently added the external wastegate provision and doubled the price for it.

I assume it's not advertised for the 4G63 for the following reasons:
1) The Chinese aren't the best/smartest advertisers.
2) It's got a T3 flange, therefore it's not a direct replacement for any 4G63 with a stock turbo.
3) It more than likely locates the turbo in a slightly different location than a stock 4G63 manifold.

Really? I haven't seen this particulatr manifold? I don't even see it on their website. It is much different than the short runner version. And it's the only one under $550 i've seen with the angled flange.

Really? I haven't seen this particulatr manifold? I don't even see it on their website. It is much different than the short runner version. And it's the only one under $550 i've seen with the angled flange.
Yeah, they used to be all over eBay about 5 years ago, along with the ramhorn manifold. Now, they're both gone. But I'm sure it's this exact same manifold, with the exception to the added wastegate provision. It seems that's the only change that was made as far as design goes.

I don't know of anyone running one, but I know I've seen a thread about it here before.

The first eBay manifold I bought was a few years ago it was for a 16g and it was crappy very thin material and leaked everywhere then it cracked after a few months. I later bought a t3 eBay mani and was much better material and bigger runners that was very solid and held up my holset perfect with no cracks. I'd give this one a shot it looks very nice for the price tag.

The first eBay manifold I bought was a few years ago it was for a 16g and it was crappy very thin material and leaked everywhere then it cracked after a few months. I later bought a t3 eBay mani and was much better material and bigger runners that was very solid and held up my holset perfect with no cracks. I'd give this one a shot it looks very nice for the price tag.

And now you have an ebay manifold on your car that hopefully won't crack soon (it will eventually), for the price you could have had an ERL for, a point that the OP should consider. 1 garbage manifold plus 1 hopefully not garbage manifold plus weeks of shipping time, two installs...two gasket sets...could have been 1 ERL manifold.

And now you have an ebay manifold on your car that hasn't cracked, for the price you could have had an ERL for, a point that the OP should consider. 2 crap manifolds could have been 1 ERL manifold.

That's true except it was only 100 each manifold. Don't get me wrong the erl is an awesome manifold but sometimes the cash isn't there.

In some cases money isnt always there but for the work i would save up the money, and get one and not worry about cracking and time, money, to me ive been there in some cases, i hate pulling my mani off.

Well thanks for the input all I ordered one...

If the welds look poor and or the tubing gauge is to thin… I have 30 days to return it. I suspect it will be rugged piece. Maybe not the best from a performance point of view and maybe not as bullet proof (or heavy) as the ERL. Assuming you properly support the turbo you should have little to no weight on the manifold IMO.( easier said than done I’m sure) Most of the big turbo cars I’ve seen mount the turbos soild and run the pipes to them with some sort of flex coupler.

Looks like a copy from the old SFP manifolds! I use to have a SFP T3 manifold, and there is no way the housing will clear the block without some type of spacer...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back