The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

ERL manifold cracked!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keltalon

Supporting VIP
Jun 29, 2003
Luthersville Ga, Atlanta, Georgia
Okay fellas I am in the middle of my new engine build and after mounting the turbo manifold to the car I noticed that it has a crack in one of my runners. So as you know the build comes to a halt until I can get this resolved. I contacted MAPerformance where I purchased the manifold and what a shocker. Response "Hi Kelvin,

Unfortunately this is a Manufacturer warranty issue and it works best if you contact them directly instead of me middle manning it. I can definitely help you out if needed and they aren't willing to help you directly but I ask that you try and contact them directly first and I would suggest providing them pictures to help speed along the process! I've attached your Sales Receipt from when you ordered the manifold from us!

ERL Contact Info:
Phone - 877-815-3434
Email - [email protected]
You can also go here and email them through their site - Contact ERL - Sport Compact

Therefore I contacted ERL and was told that since I welded a 2 bolt wastegate flange on the manifold it voids the warranty. So I sent Maperformance ERL reply here MAP lastest email to me. "Hi Kelvin,

I'm sorry that's unfortunate I wish I could help you out here but like I said we're not the manufacturer of the item and don't warranty it the warranty is through the manufacturer and it is fully their decision.

-Thanks,
Bill Tschida
Operations Manager
MAPerformance
763-545-3800 Ext 101
[email protected]
AIM: BillatMAP

I am very dissapointed haven't had the manifold 10 months and its toast. If they have informed me at the time of purchase or even in fine print when the manifold arrived not to weld any flanges onto it then I would have not welded the flange. I don't see how the flange being welded on the manifold cause one runner to crack? Most ERL manifolds that I have seen had a welded flange on it because the split collar is absolute crap. Guys use caution when going the ERL cast manifold route. This is a total bummer DAGGUMMITT! 550.00 down the drain:barf:

Pics

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352741753619.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352741753619.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 344
Dam the luck man......

You going to have it welded? It may work.......

Dam the luck man......

You going to have it welded? It may work.......

Took it up the street and had it welded. I will take it now and have it surfaced. Temporary fix for now. Its a shame!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352742557892.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352742557892.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 314
I hope they pre-heated the casting before and during the weld.

It helps a ton on cast iron.

You've read rules about vendor reviews, yes? ;)

How in the world is a reseller at fault for you modifying a part anyway?

Not defending map or anything, but cast is prone to crack under heat and strain anyway so you cant beat a ss mani for strength

When looking at the description on their website it say the manifold comes with a lifetime warranty against cracking I was sold! Like I said before If I knew the warranty would be voided by putting that flange I would have stuck with the split collar setup no problem. I post this imformation just so members are aware that if you weld on that manifold You void your warranty plain and simple. I felt it was my duty since the seller is not going to tell you!

You've read rules about vendor reviews, yes? ;)

Never said once they were at fault! Just that I am surprised at response to the failure.

Oh i agree. They should definitely disclose all info regarding warranty

Not turning this into a vendor review by no means. Infomation about welding is definitely needed considering 99% choose to weld and not use the split collar. Well lets just say this lesson learned:thumb: even on their site they say if you don't chose the split collar then welding is necessary I am confused why they will not replace or refund?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey keltalon, completely off topic, but how hard is it to do a bse with the engine in the car? Reason i ask is because ive gotta replace the tbelt and front oil seal in my talon and thought i might as well

Hey keltalon, completely off topic, but how hard is it to do a bse with the engine in the car? Reason i ask is because ive gotta replace the tbelt and front oil seal in my talon and thought i might as well

On a 2g its almost impossible to pull out the shafts and front cover without lifting the engine out .. I ask a buddy of mine this question a while back how he did his he said he had to lift the engine out. Killa colt on gadsm.

How is welding a wastegate flange affect the part of the manifold furthest away from it?

^This. How in the world would welding a wastegate flange at the furthest possible point from the runners going to cause a crack at the runner? I doubt the runner/flange even saw any heat from the weld.

ERL is just using that as an excuse to void a warranty. It's completely absurd. This is almost as bad as Mitsubishi dealers voiding warranties on EVOs because of a BOV upgrade.

Good call, Keltalon. I'll keep these companies in mind when I shop for parts.

Take them to small claims over not honoring a "general" lifetime warranty where no specific terms were specified. Make sure to sue over the cost of the original manifold and any replacement costs.

Once they see your serious they might just decide to honor it :thumb:

Take them to small claims over not honoring a "general" lifetime warranty where no specific terms were specified. Make sure to sue over the cost of the original manifold and any replacement costs.

Once they see your serious they might just decide to honor it :thumb:

That is not going to be necessary I will just have to live with what happened. I was sent a pm saying that I cracked the manifold because I used the beaded copper gasket. It was explained to me that the manifold flange cracked because the bead on the copper gasket wouldn't let it sit flat on the head. I understand what is being said but IMO the manifold should have still pull the bead flat without cracking. It was suggested since its welded now to eliminate the copper gasket and use a mitsu 4 layer oem one. Okee do kee anything at this point until I get a new manifold. I was going to fabricate my 3" v-band down pipe off the ERL but now I have to wait for the new manifold inorder to do my exhaust completely because different manifolds sets the downpipe in different locations and there is not enough room when using 3" pipe to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back