The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

OBX has new 4g64 manifold (looks similar to ERL Placement)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just bought this manifold and I am allready having my doubts. I have a question does this manifold line up with the erl as far as the downpipe /02 housing. I asking this because I am about to have mine made up. Or should I have my hole manifold rewelded

The rest of the manifold seems pretty stout. Not sure why they skimped on the WG bracing. I'd just brace the WG as good as you can and try it. Not sure if the placement is the same as the ERL. (i doubt it). This manifold was for the newer 4g64 engines. They have a cast version of it now as well. Odd turbo placement on it though.

00-05 ECLIPSE L4 4G64 CAST IRON TURBO MANIFOLD HEADER | eBay

my manifold came in today and it looks great i got the polished manifold any im gonna dump my wastgate in to my downpipe so mabe mine wont crack:pray:

will this manifold work with a hx 52 with a t3 to t4 adapter

I wouldn't try it. That's a heavy turbo. Like 40 pounds heavy. I was gonna use that turbo but my woman and I split and then I needed money so went with an HX35 instead because the overall setup would be cheaper. But I'd say NO to using an HX52 with this thing.

The rest of the manifold seems pretty stout. Not sure why they skimped on the WG bracing. I'd just brace the WG as good as you can and try it. Not sure if the placement is the same as the ERL. (i doubt it). This manifold was for the newer 4g64 engines. They have a cast version of it now as well. Odd turbo placement on it though.

00-05 ECLIPSE L4 4G64 CAST IRON TURBO MANIFOLD HEADER | eBay

I don't see any wastegate provisions with that cast manifold. So it wouldn't work for me. And the ports look WAY small. My manifold is still holding up just fine at the moment after the bracing I added before installing it. Hoping it stays that way. I used all the bolts that came with the manifold though (had planned on changing them out but just didn't get around to it). One of the nuts fell off where it bolts up to the turbo but it got caught between the stud and my v-band for my exhaust pipe. Guessing I'll grab it and put it back on tomorrow. Lol. Only problem I've had so far though....aside from the modifications I had to do just to install it.

I wouldn't try it. That's a heavy turbo. Like 40 pounds heavy. I was gonna use that turbo but my woman and I split and then I needed money so went with an HX35 instead because the overall setup would be cheaper. But I'd say NO to using an HX52 with this thing.

I don't see any wastegate provisions with that cast manifold. So it wouldn't work for me. And the ports look WAY small. My manifold is still holding up just fine at the moment after the bracing I added before installing it. Hoping it stays that way. I used all the bolts that came with the manifold though (had planned on changing them out but just didn't get around to it). One of the nuts fell off where it bolts up to the turbo but it got caught between the stud and my v-band for my exhaust pipe. Guessing I'll grab it and put it back on tomorrow. Lol. Only problem I've had so far though....aside from the modifications I had to do just to install it.

You have to use mechanical lock washers and good nuts. I had that happen tool. Also if you run that crappo gasket that comes with it blows out pretty quick causing the hardware to loosen. I used no gasket, seals great. Wish you the best. May end up pulling mine for the weld repair this time so I can get excessive with the bracing....

forcefed86 is your manifold still holding up and are you dumping your wastgate back in your downpipe or you dumping into the air

forcefed86 is your manifold still holding up and are you dumping your wastgate back in your downpipe or you dumping into the air

Dumping to atmosphere. As I wrote a few posts above it had cracked again. Haven't had time to repair it... again.

Dumping to atmosphere. As I wrote a few posts above it had cracked again. Haven't had time to repair it... again.

thats why its cracking dump it in the downpipe and it will not crack back when i had my svo i ran a ebay t3 manifold and dumped it in my down pipe and my friend got the same manifold and dumped his to atmosphere and mine never crack and his cracked six time both cars where driven alot and both made around 350hp

Well, mine is still holding up fine. Dumped to atmosphere too. But I also braced it well......as stated. Hopefully it stays that way.

Oh, and track day is on the 22nd :)

im gonna dump in my downpipe just to be safe and i will also be running bumper exit like you v8s are slow

thats why its cracking dump it in the downpipe and it will not crack back when i had my svo i ran a ebay t3 manifold and dumped it in my down pipe and my friend got the same manifold and dumped his to atmosphere and mine never crack and his cracked six time both cars where driven alot and both made around 350hp

Whether it is or isn't dumped back into the down pipe has nothing to do with it. Dumping to atmosphere will free up some restriction in the exhaust, so I see no reason not to do it.

If the WG pipe is properly supported it shouldn't crack period. It shouldn't have cracked in the first place. Many manifolds use this exact design with no braces and do not crack. It's just a piss poor job of welding and or materials used to weld.

On a side not I decided to not upgrade my fuel system and switch to e50. I just made a few pulls at 30psi and it made a huge difference. The car is making some good power and only at 88% DC by 7k. E50 is pretty sweet!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see it being routed back into the exhaust helping it from cracking, but basically because it'd act as a brace. But if the weld is done correctly, ith good materials, it shouldn't be an issue. Heck, not like the wastegate is heavy anyway. Certainly not anywhere near as heavy as the turbo.

Anyone know the thread pitch and all of the nuts and studs that hold the turbo to the manifold? I lost 2 nuts and a stud. Cheap flippin hardware. But hey, at least the cheap flippin manifold is holding up right now. Lol.

Thanks. Saved me the work of having to take the crap off my car and figure it out.

Well, for starters, I think the bolt size isn't a 10x1.25 or the guy gave me the wrong parts.

2nd, mine has a crack now around the wastegate pipe. I think if it wasn't for my support, it would've fallen off already. Oh well, lasted longer than I expected. Lol. Gotta try and weld it back up when I get a chance.

That stinks... maybe something like this would work... this is how "shadohc" braced his.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Got the manifold off today. Wastegate pipe is barely hanging on. Only one side that wasn't cracked. I'll take pics when I get a chance but the crack was just above the weld on the pipe itself. Not the actual weld. Gonna try and weld it back up on Monday and see what I can do about a better brace. But also too, when I made the supports for this thing, I wasn't tig welding yet so had someone else weld it for me. 2 of the braces came undone (one of which was for the wastegate pipe). Gonna weld it back up myself this time though.

Got the manifold off today. Wastegate pipe is barely hanging on. Only one side that wasn't cracked. I'll take pics when I get a chance but the crack was just above the weld on the pipe itself. Not the actual weld. Gonna try and weld it back up on Monday and see what I can do about a better brace. But also too, when I made the supports for this thing, I wasn't tig welding yet so had someone else weld it for me. 2 of the braces came undone (one of which was for the wastegate pipe). Gonna weld it back up myself this time though.

Almost wondering if we should collect all the different images of cracked manifolds and submit them to OBX.

Lol, sounds good to me. I'll post mine up in a bit.

Okay, so I took a wire wheel to the manifold to clean it up real good around the cracks. Welded it up and used a buttload of filler rod. Not sure how much good it'll do but figure it's better than using a very small amount. Also made a support similar to how Shadohc did his. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Okay, it cracked again. Not the welds. All my welds are in tact. Just the piping right above where I welded. Guess it's time to save up for an ERL manifold. Sigh....

Oh well, it's served it's purpose at least and got me to the track last Sunday. But guess even supports aren't even enough to keep this thing together.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back