The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Engine start issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliesnyder

Probationary Member
Jan 8, 2011
Eatonville, Washington
Hey all,

To start things off this is on a 1998 Eclipse GSX automatic.

This is a buddy of mines car and I did a head gasket on the vehicle. After the head gasket install and an alternator change the car fired right up(after I found the correct plug wire sequence:hellyeah:).. Drove the car around for a while and seemed to be fixed.

Went to start the car up two days later and the engine just cranks and cranks. The timing was off slightly so I have since replaced the timing belt.

The car is getting gas and spark. Plugs are new as well.

Anyone know what this could be? Or has anyone experienced this?

ew, reminds me of when I paid a guy to do the rebuild on my blazer v6. It ran perfect first time he started it, then later.. it never wanted to start again. I ended up burning out the starter cranking it so much. Make sure everything is plugged it. Even a sensor could be bad, you know the kind that tells the computer whether the engine should be running or not. Start small.

I've tested the Throttle Position Sensor already. Need to find where to test the fuel pump relay as well as the Camshaft and crankshaft sensor?

Does anyone know where the Crankshaft sensor or the FPR are?:banghead:

I've tested the Throttle Position Sensor already. Need to find where to test the fuel pump relay as well as the Camshaft and crankshaft sensor?

Does anyone know where the Crankshaft sensor or the FPR are?:banghead:

Crankshaft sensor is bolted to your front case behind the crankshaft sproket. Youll have to take off the plastic cover to get to it. Cam sensor is on the passenger side of the intake camshaft.

Attachments

• cps.bmp
    396.1 KB · Views: 68
On my car the crank sensor is on the back of the block above the oil filter. Look around, its not exaclty a round plug like the oil pressure sensor or coolant temp sensor. But it's definately on the block. Relay should be in fuse box?

I'm quickly beginning to hate this car. Wish I had never agreed to do the headgasket for him.

Back on the original topic. Does anyone know why the car would start/run perfectly then overnight not want to start or even sputter? I started the car multiple times the night I got it back together. Started first time each time, then nothing when the Owner came to pick it up.....

I still need to do a compression test but haven't gotten to run one yet.

Crankshaft sensor is bolted to your front case behind the crankshaft sproket. Youll have to take off the plastic cover to get to it. Cam sensor is on the passenger side of the intake camshaft.

Looks like I'll be testing that sensor when I recheck the timing tonight..:banghead:

It wouldnt hurt to check all your grounds. I know it sounds silly, but I had a problem with a buddys GSX that wouldnt start for a couple days. Come to find out it was the ground from the Intake mani to the firewall. Dont just throw parts at the car, youll learn how to troubleshoot more efficiently when you learn the systems and how things work in sequence and conjunction with eachother! Let us know how it goes!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back