The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

engine parts - what is it and where do they go?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the heeat

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Lebanon, Virginia
Ok, i just bought a 97 spyder gst for 700$ and it seems to run fine but there are several minor things i have to do before i can pass VA inspection, plus a few things i want to be proper before i start driving it everyday. I was told two different stories about the front of the car and what happened, but i don't think that applies here and now. I know the radiator support is bent and that the top leaks and something is going on w the reverse lights (switch is on order). Anyway, the coilpack(?) Isn't mounted (pic), the long black piece behind it (name?) Isn't mounted either, nor is something else below those pieces (half circle in pic). Where do they mount, what are they called and would this cause any problems if left unmounted? Secondly, in the other pic, what looks to be rubber pads on either side of this are loose and spin when i feel as though they shouldn't? What is that and should those pieces spin/how can i fix it? It's a 2gb 7 bolt 4g63t btw. Thanks guys!

Ok i thought there were going to be pics but i gotta figure out how to post them from my phone first.....as for the other thing, it's located between drivers side fender well and power steering pump(?) And it attaches to the timing belt housing also. It's about 2" wide and has 3 raised grooves on to. Thanks again and sorry bout the pics...I'll figure it out in a couple days.

Yeah, pics would definitely be useful. You should get your coil packs mounted though. If those are left just "floating" around on your engine while driving, you could end up with problems like the spark plug wires coming off, or ripping a wire that powers the coils or any number of electrical problems resulting from it. Not that I would suggest securing them with this, but even zip-ties would be better than nothing. However, I do believe the coil pack gets hot, so they would melt anyway. Post up some pics when you figure that part out. Will help more.

Sounds like the driver side motor mount? or the timing belt cover

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

1 is where a timing belt cover should be, 2 is the drive side motor mount which is black when in stock form
ignore the fancy stuff this is a google picture

are you referring to 1 or 2 or something completely different?

I don't know the size of the washer on the switch but its there. Yea its the motor mount, my concern was because the black pads on either side move around alot and i wanted to know if this was normal. Now i have to figure out why my tach isn't working? Oh and as for my back up switch, i accidentally pulled the wires from the harness and need to know which goes where before i put my new one in.

No :( nothin doin, but thanks to the lil bit of help from a coupe of these guys, i got basically what i needed! :) although im still having issues with my rev lights. New bulbs, new switch, checked fuses and everything is as it should be...which leaves me baffled. My last attempt will be checking to see that the switch and wires are making contact...otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back