1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Eagle Talon TSi not starting (was fine the day before)

Posted by TSi-wesley, Aug 19, 2019

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. TSi-wesley

TSi-wesley Probationary Member

Joined Aug 16, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'm currently in the process of restoring my 1993 Eagle Talon TSi, and have been working to diagnose an engine stutter under hard acceleration. Well after driving it around my neighborhood a few times, I parked it and left it overnight. The next morning, it would not start at all. The starter motor would go without any hint that it wanted to turn over. We found that the spark plugs were not getting any spark, and it didn't seem like there was any pulse coming from the injectors (fuel rail was getting plenty of fuel, however). My brother cleaned the spark plugs and replaced the coil pack. After the install we tried to start it up again and were met with the same result - it still wouldn't start. I noticed that there was corrosion on the spark plug wires and somewhat in the spark plug cavities as well. I was thinking maybe it could be the spark plug wires, but how could they all stop working overnight?

After doing some research, I found a few possible issues that could cause these symptoms:
    1) Bad power transistor
    2) Bad crank angle sensor
    3) Bad cam angle sensor

I don't believe the check engine light was on, but I haven't scanned it so it could have codes. Do y'all have any other suggestions?

2. ErikTande

ErikTande Supporting Member

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    I'd swap the power transistor first, they're pretty common to go bad after 25 years. Also referred to as the ignition control module.

24nr411-jpg-jpg.jpg

Street Build 896  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.2 @ 105 · 1G DSM
    TSi-wesley likes this.
  3. TSi-wesley

Joined Aug 16, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    Yeah I think I'll do that. Thanks for the picture!

4. ErikTande

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    That pic is from a 1990, the 91-94 are a little different if I remember correctly. But yeah, I'd swap that first.

Mine did the same thing, just died one day. Took me forever to figure it out.

Street Build 896  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  7

13.2 @ 105 · 1G DSM
  5. TSi-wesley

Joined Aug 16, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    Where's the best place to find a replacement? RockAuto is charging almost 150 dollars:boring:

6. ErikTande

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    Yeah, they're not cheap. Even an non-oem one from autozone or other parts store is gonna be at least $100. Good news is most parts stores have them in stock.

Street Build 896  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  7

13.2 @ 105 · 1G DSM
  7. Lucky13

Lucky13 Supporting Member

Joined Nov 20, 2002
    Palm Beach Gard, Florida
  8. TSi-wesley

Joined Aug 16, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    Finding them for about 17-30 dollars on eBay...Looks to be the right one too, says it will fit a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse

9. TSi-wesley

Joined Aug 16, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    Bought a power transistor for 15 dollars on eBay, I hope it works! upload_2019-8-20_7-46-46.png

10. Red_EcliPzE_GsX

Red_EcliPzE_GsX Proven Member

Joined Nov 25, 2002
    Irving, Texas
    Should do the trick, same thing happened to me. After swapping it out, if the check engine light comes back on for a few seconds and the stock boost gauge needle jumps to zero when turning the ignition to on, it should def fire right up.

421  3

manual · 1G DSM