The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Eagle Talon TSi not starting (was fine the day before)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSi-wesley

Probationary Member
Aug 16, 2019
Magnolia, Texas
I'm currently in the process of restoring my 1993 Eagle Talon TSi, and have been working to diagnose an engine stutter under hard acceleration. Well after driving it around my neighborhood a few times, I parked it and left it overnight. The next morning, it would not start at all. The starter motor would go without any hint that it wanted to turn over. We found that the spark plugs were not getting any spark, and it didn't seem like there was any pulse coming from the injectors (fuel rail was getting plenty of fuel, however). My brother cleaned the spark plugs and replaced the coil pack. After the install we tried to start it up again and were met with the same result - it still wouldn't start. I noticed that there was corrosion on the spark plug wires and somewhat in the spark plug cavities as well. I was thinking maybe it could be the spark plug wires, but how could they all stop working overnight?

After doing some research, I found a few possible issues that could cause these symptoms:
1) Bad power transistor
2) Bad crank angle sensor
3) Bad cam angle sensor

I don't believe the check engine light was on, but I haven't scanned it so it could have codes. Do y'all have any other suggestions?

You can see all the corrosion that wasn't taken care of before. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that either the trace to the pin from the ignition switch or the trace to the pin to activate the MPI relay is no open due to the corrosion from the original capacitors leaking.

The guys at ECMTuning should be able to fix that all up but it should have never gotten out the door of Motoguys garage without cleaning that all up.
I looked a little closer and I agree. Board looks poor.

I was thinking it could be a blown capacitor. The board does look like pretty shoddy work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back