The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

E316G, 20G, Big T28, 68HTA turbocharges.. Help Post

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amballer82822

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 4, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Okay well I own a 98 GSX with 110,000 miles runs perfect and I wouldn't trade it for anything and yes it's an automatic still love it. Here are mods when I bought the car about half a year ago, Titanium valve springs, cams at 272, DNP headers and 14b turbo was rebuilt. Since then ive installed Injen intake with bigger filter along with Greddy Type RS BOV, Magna flow full exhaust, Manual Boost controller, Gauge POD, and had it painted redid alot of the inside added Million color under glow ( I know it doesn't matter just bragging haha). I can post pics if needed. But Ive been working and saving up and my 18th birthday is in a couple of weeks and Ill have around 2 grand.. Im planning on buyin 880cc injectors Walbro fuel pump and DSM Link. But what turbo setup should I go with?? My goal is around 350-450 HP.

Heres my options.. I have no experience with non stock turbos so gimme some help:) Also im buying the turbo from forced performance, ive heard all their turbos are legit.

The FP 3176HTA Turbo Package Sale its 2 grand for the whole pacakage but I can't find any specs on this turbo again its on Forced Performance Turbochargers.

Another option is the Big 28 Turbo.. My questions with this turbo is what install kit would I need? also is this turbo better than the 16G and 20G?

My last three options is the 20G the E316G and last but not least the FP 68HTA Turbocharger
I also dont know what kit I need to put on the FP68HTA

:thumb:

This subject has been pretty beat...a simple search will throw up hundreds of opinions.

Which 20g? TD05H or TD06H?

I'd put my money on the TD05H 20g or HTA68 - they flow pretty close to the same, spool just about the same and I'm sure others will chime in on that.

This subject has been pretty beat...a simple search will throw up hundreds of opinions.

Which 20g? TD05H or TD06H?

I'd put my money on the TD05H 20g or HTA68 - they flow pretty close to the same, spool just about the same and I'm sure others will chime in on that.

X2

You'll also need a fpr with the upgraded fuel pump, there's plenty of info on each one of those turbos, I suggest you look around and see which one would suite you best.

A quick vague reply:

Most people in your position will likely go with the 16g - cheap, reliable, and proven. Should meet your 350hp with the proper supporting mods and good tuning, I usually suggest DSMlink for that, though it might not be a piece of cake. The 68HTA is almost the same turbo and will meet your goals, and outflows the 16g. The 20g is an older turbo and not as efficient, and is rarely anyone's top choice these days. The Big T28 is really really only good if you need it to look stock appearing, but won't yield as much hp as the others, probably won't get 300whp out of it. The 3176HTA is a step up from all of the above and should easily meet your goals but will likely require more supporting mods than the other turbos due to its increased flow capabilities. It's what you'll likely end up wanting after you have the 16g for a while.

My suggestion, talk to FP directly since you've already decided to buy from them. And sit down and really think about your goals. Most DSMers throw out a hp number for their goals but don't put much thought into what the car will be used for (example, I use mine for open track days - road courses, and don't need the power the drag racers do - spool and power band is just as important to me as overall power). Think about the costs of the supporting mods and the other maintenance you'll need to do on the car before you start making twice its stock hp. Think about resale value and demand for the turbo you pick, as I've found that so many DSMers out there change their mind after a year with their goals.

You'll see so many different opinions on different turbos you'll get confused. Keep in mind that everyone has their own goals in mind when spouting out their opinions. You must first clearly define yours, and a 350-450 hp range is a pretty vague goal. I think you need to put more thought into that. There's a big difference between 350 and 450.

Of those listed in your thread's title....

Cost (lowest to highest):
- Evo III 16G
- TD05H 20G
- T28
- 68HTA

Bolt-on compatibilty for a 2G (easiest to hardest):
- T28
- 16G, 20G, 68HTA...three-way tie.

Spool (quickest to slowest):
- T28
- Evo III 16G, 68HTA
- 20G

Airflow (highest to lowest):
- 68HTA
- 20G
- 16G
- T28

The 3176 you're speaking of is in a different realm altogether....Garrett-based, uses none of the stock oil lines and such. The Garrett CHRA's reliability is a little questionable in comparison to the MHI-based turbos listed above, and it would definitely spool slower than anything else you've listed...but what you're getting for your money in that package is an incredible value. :thumb:

Heres another good thread about this same topic. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/351289-evo3-big-16g-vs-fp-big-t28-vs-fp-68hta.html

Any of those turbos you're going to have a hard time netting your horsepower goals running 91 or 93 octane gasoline without a methanol setup. Your other option would be converting to E85 but then those 880cc injectors you have in your build plans will be far too small. The HTA68 install can be done with the same 16g install kits you buy for the 2g from ExtremePSi or Road Race. I see you're currently running a 14b turbo though so the 16g or HTA68 will bolt right onto your current setup.

:dsm:

68hta some 680's, adjustable fuel pressure reg and a dsmlink will make you happy. If you dont have a front mount on that car you will want to get one as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back