The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Dynamic Tuning eBay Performance Chip

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's going to be just like every other five dollar eBay performance chip. It's going to be a little box with a resistor inside that you run in series (or in parallel, depending on the car) with your coolant temperature sensor to trick your engine into thinking it's colder than it really is, which tricks it into giving you more timing advance, and more fuel.

It's garbage. The extra timing might be somewhat useful, but the extra fuel is just as likely to lose you power as it is to help you gain any.

If it sounds too good to be true, it almost always is.

No experience w/ them and, after reading their ad, I don't care to. They discuss pushing your a/f ratio to stoich. This is 14.7:1 . Running this lean during high load (open loop) will surely casue FAR too much detonation and headgaskets or more will go. . . Peak toque is around 12.5:1 for gasoline anyway. As for closed loop operation. The ECU is trying to find stoich anyway. So there would be no benefit in closed loop. . .

Yes there is significant "hidden hp" that can be tapped from modefying the factory tune. Factory WOT a/f ratios peak out at 9.4:1 or so. Much too rich for neccesary. But only a good log will determine what works for your setup stock or not. So getting a chip that will PROPERLY lean out your mixture would be a mistake w/out having a logger to determine if it is causing detonation or not. Also the factory timing is on the safe side even for the usual performance setups. So in all, there COULD be significant gains from a chip. I gained a bit w/ stock injectors and bumping up my base timing and leaning out my mix w/ a MAFT. So I know it will help spool and topend. . .

But still, tuning to stoich in open loop is pretty foolish and actually quite moronic. . . A blown engine goes REALLY slow.

If you want a chip, contact KeyDiver. . .

Never use a CLT resister. It's just plain bad. On a 2G it will have the side effect of not kicking your fans on unless you have the AC on. On just about any car it will lower the CLT to below where closed loop is enabled. This will kill your fuel millage. Don't cheap out like this. I hate SAFC's but they are far better than just putting a resister on you CLT line. If you want performance on the cheap. Best route is get a EPROM ECU and get a chip for what you want. And don't be worring about putting a colder thermostat in. It might get you a few HP but on a DD the cons out weight the pros in that situation. I believe it actually effects combustion on the 16v head as it can be to cold for optimum combustion.

I'm almost tempted to get they "chip" and see what it really is. For under $10 it can't be much of anything. Hell most IC's cost and PCB and soldering is going to be higher than that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back