The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Delta Camshaft 4G63 272 Cams (Preview to review)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTurboEclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 29, 2002
Bay Area, California
I've been looking into cams recently and was really contemplating between the DKS or BC 272s for both the intake and exhaust.

I've always had my eye on the DKS cams for quite sometime before BC came up. Mostly because the DKS were "clones" of the HKS, and the HKS #s always proved to be noteworthy, yet I was always looking to save a buck thus the reason why the DKS was my #1 choice.

At the now even lower price of $297 (after core exhange) it was very tempting.

The BC cams were just a tad bit more, but they are not regrinds like the DKS.

After searching around I came upon Delta Camshaft company
Delta Camshaft

I did some search for anybody who had info on their cams for the DSMs. However no go, and the only close to relevant subject was this lousy thread
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/205128-delta-cams.html

There were some positive comments, but nothing too detailed or enough to make me feel good about committing with them.

After calling them up, I asked if they had any cams for the "DSM". First positive was they new what "DSM" was and they reassured this was the 4G63 cams. They told me they offered several profiles. If i can remember they had 264s, 272s, 280s. They said all based on HKS. They were reground cams.

I asked how much a set of intake/exhaust 272 cams would cost shipped to my door. $258 shipped And once you return your stock ones we will credit you back $60 for the cores, making the grand total $198 SHIPPED

So I went ahead and placed the order. They got to me fairly quick, not even a week to be exact

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Even threw in a free shirt. (Boo on having a subaru and a honda on it though :nono:) As you can see it also comes with the shims.

Unfortunately this is where this review/preview ends, because the car won't be running until ManGiNa ships me my VR Speed FMIC. But I like to start this thread as reference for future data and if anyone else already has experiences.

Just to ad, the guys over there are Delta were very helpful and really seem to know their stuff. They were aware of the differences with the 97+ and how the CAS is on the outside. A few other tidbits I'm trying to remember from my conversation with them. Unfortunately they will NOT predrill the cam for the CAS if you are getting regrinds from them straight up, you will have to send yours in to maintain it being drilled for the CAS. If your in no rush I guess this is no big deal and you pay less because no need for core exchange. They also noted they sell these cams new and NOT regrinds, but the prices were on par with BC cams last i remember. So another option for you guys who don't like regrinds. And one thing one of the reps said to me, if I ever wanted to get a group buy going of 5 or so people, they would knock off an extra $10-20. :hellyeah:

Well of course when it comes to these things people want numbers and data. I'll try when I can, but it will take time since my car is down. I asked Delta if they could supply a cam card. They said they could and I hope to get it to share with you all.

puenmo himself will be helping me put these in, and perhaps he can give some input when he sees and inspects the cams physically during install.

=============================================

5/27

Finally started it up

YouTube - DSM Eclipse GSX GST Talon TSi Delta 272/272 Cams $198 Shipped - First Start Up Idle

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoy reading all your reviews on new parts, and trying new parts others are usually scared and don't wanna try. Do you have more info or specs on these cams?

I hope everything goes well with these cams! Good luck and keep us posted.

I was actually looking into Delta Cams awhile back and called them as well. The guy did appear to be pretty familiar with 4g63. I ended up finding a used set of HKS at an unbeatable price or else i would have went with them. I believe they do a lot of toyota off-road cams, single stick hondas. From what i've read, they have a good rep. Can't wait to see the results!

Well. If it walks like a duck. . . You can jsut degree the cams yourself and measure the lift at several points on the lobe (for peak lift and a good estimate of the ramp rate). If they match a real hks cam, then there's no need to get 'numbers'. Those are the numbers. The motor doesn't know that it's NOT an hks cam. It only knows that you have the same lift, overlap, duration, and ramp rate at the valve.

"pneumo himself will be helping me put these in, and perhaps he can give some input when he sees and inspects the cams physically during install."

Hi there. The cams were installed today. What can I say? They look like all the other high quality cams I've installed. They have a precision ground surface on the lobes. The base cam they used for the regrind were a pair of 2G turbo cams with ID letter 'J' stamped on the end, so there's no worry about the quality or grade of steel.

They included a set of shims that drop in below the HLA to keep them at mid extension. That's a nice touch. The shims were not absolutely necessary. At first we installed the exhaust cam without them and the HLA's still had just a little room to extend further if needed. Then we changed our mind and installed all of the shims. The HLA extension with the shims is right in the middle, just like stock.

I dont get what the shims are for. Are these common with installing aftermarket cams?

when regrinding cams, you have to bring down the base circle of the cam, thus making it overall shorter than a stock cam, but with a different lobe shape and all.
Since we use hyraulic lifters, they take up the slack, but putting a shim underneath raises them up so it kind of makes up for the material lost in bringing the cam's base circle down.

that might be confusing, might be wrong, but thats the way I understood it when i was putting in my DKS's

What size shims did they send with the cams? Does the shim size vary with each cam or is it a standard size per what cam it is ie. 264 272 280?

"pneumo himself will be helping me put these in, and perhaps he can give some input when he sees and inspects the cams physically during install."

Hi there. The cams were installed today. What can I say? They look like all the other high quality cams I've installed. They have a precision ground surface on the lobes. The base cam they used for the regrind were a pair of 2G turbo cams with ID letter 'J' stamped on the end, so there's no worry about the quality or grade of steel.

They included a set of shims that drop in below the HLA to keep them at mid extension. That's a nice touch. The shims were not absolutely necessary. At first we installed the exhaust cam without them and the HLA's still had just a little room to extend further if needed. Then we changed our mind and installed all of the shims. The HLA extension with the shims is right in the middle, just like stock.

Hey man if u don't mind can u go into details on the installation of the regrind cam and shims ...if possible include pics with specific instructions on how to install the shims ...and what does the abbreviation HLA means ...i wanna buy a set of these delta cam re-grind for my build in 264/272 combo...thanks man all response will be greatly appreciated...:D:D:D:thumb:

Hey man if u don't mind can u go into details on the installation of the regrind cam and shims ...if possible include pics with specific instructions on how to install the shims ...and what does the abbreviation HLA means ...i wanna buy a set of these delta cam re-grind for my build in 264/272 combo...thanks man all response will be greatly appreciated...:D:D:D:thumb:

Here's a quickie cam install. It's the same for all DSM cams, regrinds and new cams alike.
RRE Web Cam Installation Instructions

HLA is hydraulic lash adjuster, or just 'lash adjuster'. Some call it a lifter, but that's not quite right. Here's some good pics of hla's, although it's not a cam install vfaq. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/265060-how-replace-lash-adjusters-lifters.html
Installing the shims was super easy. The shims are just thin washers about 1mm thick. Once the cams were out we just pulled the hla out with our fingers and dropped the shim down into the bottom of the hole that the hla sits in. I used a thin screwdriver to make sure the shim was laying flat at the bottom of the hole. Once all the shims and hla's were in, I checked the height of each hla to make sure they were all the same.

Sorry guys, still can't run the car until the VR Speed fmic comes in.

Anyways here is the cam card for the 272s that I requested

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you need to change the springs for the Delta cams or you can run the stock springs?

well just like anything else you heard that is recommended for 272s applies for these i assume. i however am running stock. of course people have different views. i dont plan to raise the rev limit too high. but more power to you if you can upgrade everything else in the process.

Delta cams have been around in the PNW for a long time. I have a friend running a set in his 1g that puts down 630awhp on a 35r. They do good work over at delta cams

how was your experience with them? any more info would help for the curious

I definetely gained a ton of power with them up top, just removed them from my old motor and put them in my newly rebuilt motor and they still look as good as thge day I put them in. I cant wait to really feel the power these things make in the upper rpm's with my HX35 set up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back