The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Crank Sprocket Stuck

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdabishop

Proven Member
Nov 9, 2012
mesa, Arizona
Alright so im stuck on this thing Ive tried soaking in wd40 and using a pulley but it wont come off, does anyone have a tip they can give me because Im about to just junk this thing ive tried getting it off for 3 days now.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You said you tried a puller? Did u try the puller with an impact gun? The impact will help break rust lose.Pb blaster penetrates and creeps beter than wd40 in my world. There is a loctite spray that freezes down to -45 degrees so the parts contract to allow the penetrating oil to seep in easier. You can ge it at advance auto $16 a can. I can confirm that it works better than pb blaster on real tough stuck s**t. Aint cheap though.

No the puller wouldnt even fit the gap isnt big enough and yea the washer wont come off either and it sucks because everything is ready to be sent off but this is the only thing holding me back

Maybe smak it a bit with a brass hammer, or put a chunk of wood on it and hit the wood with the hammer to jar the sprocket loose .
Heat expands things and frees things up to loosen-it can be a great ally in the toolbox .. a blowtorch.

I had the same issue, screw in some bolts into the threaded holes on the sprocket, use the bolt heads as the lip for a gear puller to grab. It should come right off after you get rid of the washer. I also agree that some heat will work wonders.

Spray a little BP Blaster on it and let it soak in. Next, apply heat to the sprocket. Get it warm but do not get the front case oil seal hot. Take a brass hammer and tap around the sprocket. The impact will help break it loose. A slide hammer arms should fit around it, as stated, you can rent one. I have also put the harmonic balancer back on the crank, placed a short 2x4 on the front case and used a pry bar under the balancer to walk it off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back