The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

converting n/t to t

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenn-gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 25, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
Been searching but not able to find the info Im looking for.

What all is needed to convert a 91 Eclipse GS to turbo?

I know the obvious like the turbo and intercooler components and ECU as well as the knock sensor. What about maf and other sensors? What fuel system parts besides injectors? Is the factory cat back the same between the 2? I havent messed wit a factory 1g N/T yet and cant find this info. Im not great with the search function though so if you have a link ill be more than happy with that.

Thanks in advance!

I know the FPR is also differnet between the two.

You don't HAVE to have them but it is a very good idea to swap in some oil squirters. You also need something to control your boost obviously, but I'm sure you probably already knew that. I wouldn't mess with trying to swap in the stock boost control solenoid, a MBC would be much easier.

you'll need an ecu, i think the trans gearing is different. Id say go right for a front mount, dont waste time with a side mount intercooler. But if you have to, try a supra side mount.

Been searching but not able to find the info Im looking for.

What all is needed to convert a 91 Eclipse GS to turbo?

I know the obvious like the turbo and intercooler components and ECU as well as the knock sensor. What about maf and other sensors? What fuel system parts besides injectors? Is the factory cat back the same between the 2? I havent messed wit a factory 1g N/T yet and cant find this info. Im not great with the search function though so if you have a link ill be more than happy with that.

Thanks in advance!

Everything thing you need is in here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-turbo-system-intercooler/48231-installing-turbo-4g63-into-nt-4g63.html. If there is anything you still need to know or feel that tech article is missing, please let me know and I will answer it and add it to the article. It is designed to be a one stop source for all of these types of questions. I have personally done the swap and would love to help you in anyway possible.

I would like to add that some of the information mentioned in this thread before the above links were supplied is quite subjective. Such as the tranny swap. Yes the stock n/t tranny is weaker. It weighs about 1/4 less actually! But like 9!'clipseDOHC above has done, I've been running the old stock n/t tranny to a turbo swapped 1991 plymouth laser for over a year now. 14 psi with a 14b and a fmic. It's not broken and the car is MUCH more fun than n/a. It ws worth it. More power than that, you may want to look at a simply fwd turbo tranny swap. The n/t gearing in the meantime, however, is very enjoyable with stocking turbo platform power.

Hey guys I appreciate all the info. A guy at work has a 91 GS and wants to turbo it. I wasnt sure about all the small stuff that would be needed. Basically Im trying to gather this so he knows what it will take to do it. Personally considering the shape of his car(good) I feel that he should either keep his car n/t for daily use and buy a factory turbo model or he should sell his gs and get a gst. I dont have confidence in his ability to pay attention to what he is doing and not screw the car up basically.

Its a fairly easy swap just find the parts my friends had parts lots of it wasi free including the engine.

I would like to add that some of the information mentioned in this thread before the above links were supplied is quite subjective. Such as the tranny swap. Yes the stock n/t tranny is weaker. It weighs about 1/4 less actually! But like 9!'clipseDOHC above has done, I've been running the old stock n/t tranny to a turbo swapped 1991 plymouth laser for over a year now. 14 psi with a 14b and a fmic. It's not broken and the car is MUCH more fun than n/a. It ws worth it. More power than that, you may want to look at a simply fwd turbo tranny swap. The n/t gearing in the meantime, however, is very enjoyable with stocking turbo platform power.

I'm actually on the turbo trans. For near stock boost and power levels the N/T trans will work fine and like Matt mentioned the gearing will work to your favor but if you plan on upping the power much more then that I would recommend swapping to the turbo trans.

I agree i had n/t trans for a while cranked up the boost and it went boom also i banged on it pretty hard LOL.

I am doing this atm, will have a gt35 on the car 22-24psi, so i guess its safe to say my tranny will last like 1-2 weeks?

You never know, just be prepared its not designed to handle more power, i had one blew it up, quickly.

When I did my swap many moons ago I ran the n/t a/t trans for a long time even with a quiet a few mods and a 75 shot of n2o it held up to alot of abuse before it crapped out. hell the second a/t was one from a turbo car and it didn't hold up quiet as long as the n/t trans did. I did swap over to a turbo 5 spd trans just for the weight savings. Also when I did my swap I elected to wire in all solenoids and sensors from my turbo parts car and made my car totally exact on how it would have came from the factory if it was originally a turbo car. I was thinking when I did the swap that if I ever sold it it would make life alot easier for the next owner as they could simply just look a a service manual for the gs-turbo car and everything would be the same and in the correct place. I should have known I would never sell the car as it has become a part of the family.

When i did the conversion on my car then i was fully cleaned the engine bay.. engine out, tranny out. engine's harness out.. than a putted into a complete turbo model's divetrain.. tranny and oil cooler from a 90' Laser RST. harness and ECU from a 1992 GSX, a bulided 6bolt block with oil jets and 2gen pistons on 1g cams.. and i was put the old NT head to the block (i was replaced the cams to 1991 turbo cams)... turbo intake manifold.. with the 1991's NT's throttle body..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back