The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Coil Pack F089 vs F630

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlust07

Probationary Member
Aug 25, 2022
Pullman, Washington
Hello,

I have a 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX with a F630 Coil pack in it. The coil pack, TACHO Interface J602, and other wiring is in pretty rough shape. I found a used F089 that came out of a 90 eclipse and was wondering if it would be compatible with the 91?

Also for some context, the engine wiring harness is from 92 eagle talon tsi if that makes a difference as well.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

This is the link to the F089 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1155024994...a=1&pg=2351460&_trksid=p2351460.c100667.m2042

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

1990's had that Coil and Tach Interface not 1991's. The 1991 should have the 8 pin Power Transistor Unit which provides the Tach Output, a coil with a 3 pin connector and the condenser attached to the bracket.

My first question is, are you sure you have a 1991 Model Year car?
Second is, are you sure it hasn't had a 1990 engine swapped into it?

If you have pictures of the engine bay we might be able to answer the second question but you'll need to check your build date to answer the first.

This is the picture of the engine bay. Looking at the vin number as well as the bill of sale, it is described as a 1991.
It's definitely possible that the engine has been swapped at some point, it was my understanding that the 90-94 all had the 4G63.

This is the picture of the engine bay. Looking at the vin number as well as the bill of sale, it is described as a 1991.
It's definitely possible that the engine has been swapped at some point, it was my understanding that the 90-94 all had the 4G63.

Not ALL 90-94’s had the 4g63, there was a non turbo 4g63 available (what my car started life as) but some non turbo models had a single cam 1.8 liter 4g37 as well though that’s not relevant here. However, the 90 model year cars had slightly different wiring. The coil pack with the tach interface is indeed from a 90, therefore if your harness is truly from a 92 then it was not the correct coil pack to begin with, though the 90 might be interchangeable somehow (I’m not real familiar with all the exact 90 vs 91-94 differences to give you better insight of what was going on there). I will say if your harness is indeed really from a 92 then you need a 91-94 coil pack, even one from a non turbo would be the same as long as it’s the nt 4g63 and not the 4g37 which didn’t utilize a coil pack to begin with.

That's interesting. I noticed pulling out my old harness, it was connected to the coil pack shown in the original post, however, the ECU that I pulled out of the car was marked as a 91 eclipse ECU. I haven't yet verified this, but if it is a 91 ECU, then the 91 harness is connected to a 90's coil pack. If the 92 harness I will be installing isn't compatible with a coil pack, then I will need to buy a 92 ECU and install coil over plugs for that setup to work properly?

Easy way to tell as well is the speedometer. 1990 reads 5-15-25 mph and the 91’s and up along with every other car ever made read the normal 10-20-30 mph:thumb:

I don’t think it’s possible to plug in a 90 coil pack with anything other than a 90 harness, because the primary plug-in is a 4 pin connector, 91 and up is a 3 pin as pictured in Steve’s post.

Hard for me to see the TB and CAS but I agree with Steve, it "looks" like all 1990 stuff. A 90 CAS and TPS both had pigtails that plug into the body harness. In 91 they changed that and the body harness plugged directly into each one of those (no pigtails on them except in 1990).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back